Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ABNA's back! 2012 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award

practical experience, FTW Marika's Avatar
    I got through to round two also in YA. "Screwing Up Time" by CM Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Stiger05 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that aruna! I didn't mean to rub it in or anything. This is my first year. Judging from the ABNA forums, there were quite a few that made it in before that didn't make it this year. Curious. Good luck with other avenues though!
    Oh, you weren't rubbing it in at all! Even in the years when I got past the pitch stage. I've always said that the first two rounds are more or less a lottery -- it all depends who you get as a Vine "reviewer" and some of them are, sorry, world class idiots. I remember one of the "reviews! I got at the second round, my first year: it was basically one line saying "I liked this excerpt." The second year, the "reviewer" objected because there was "too big a jump" between the prologue and chapter one. Obviously, someone who has no idea what a prologue is!
    I've always hoped to get past round two, to be assessed by professionals.
    I'll enter gain next year. Same book, same pitch!
    OUT NOW!
    The Lost Daughter of India
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Sons of Gods -- the Mahabharata

Website
    Facebook

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

I made it through the pitch stage for my YA. Cautiously pleased, but not getting my hopes up too high (I made it through the pitch stage two years ago but didn't advance beyond that).

Congrats to those who made it in and (((hugs))) to those who didn't.

Congrats, Hester. Sorry for those who didn't make it. I know how that feels. I made it through the pitch phase this year (my first time) for GF but for 2 years I scanned that long list of names wishing my name was 1 in a 1,000.

How does the next part work? Do you get the Vine reviews at the end of March, like the results for the next round, or do they filter in as they are completed? Just curious.

"The point is not to take the world's opinion as a guiding star,
    but to go one's way in life and to work unfalteringly
    neither depressed by failure nor seduced by applause."
    -Gustav Mahler

Thanks so much AO, and congrats to you too!

From what I remember, Amazon lists the group that will advance to the semis on March 20th (I think that's the next "fun date"). I believe the Vine reviews show up on the pages of the contestants who make it through on that date or shortly afterwards-for those who don't, the Vine reviews show up on your CreateSpace page within a week or so afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by alias octavia View Post

How does the next part work? Do you get the Vine reviews at the end of March, like the results for the next round, or do they filter in as they are completed? Just curious.
    If you DON'T make it amazon lets you know. Then you can look up your Vine reviews.

I assume that if you DO make it, amazon also lets you know; but I can't speak form experience.

I k now that the two years I entered, amazon let me knoe I'd passed the first round, so I kind of knew what to expect when this year they didn't I went looking fo rmy name on that list.

Good luck to all Awers who went through.
    OUT NOW!
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Website
    Facebook

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

So, buried in the official rules is a note about how the reviews will be posted to the entrants dashboard on or about March 18th. With the next round results being announced on March 20th, it looks like we should see the reviews before we find out if we move on. This could be great or really bad, I think. If it is a so-so review it will make me full of anxiety, and if it is really good I will be confident (maybe too confident) and if it is really bad I will be depressed.

-Gustav Mahler

I think you need two brilliant reviews to go through to the next round. Both of my reviews the first year I entered were good; one was brilliant, but the other was also good (but very short). It still failed to go through. So I'd say, metaphorically speaking, you need two five star votes and not one five star and one four star.

ETA: Here are the two reviews I got in 2009. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...&postcount=203
    OUT NOW!
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Website
    Facebook

~ Rumi

Just wanted to wish everyone good luck as they announce the Quarter Finalists today!

-Gustav Mahler

chief sitter on people fourlittlebees's Avatar
    I don't remember how the Vine reviews went up because I was on a business trip last year and got my news via text. Friends were checking; I wasn't.

I remember the PW review for the quarters went live a little bit after because I was dying over it; and it was still a great review even though I didn't make it to the semis.

Good luck today, everyone.

practical experience, FTW Stiger05's Avatar
    Didn't make the quarterfinal cut. Congrats to those who did! I saw a couple AW'ers on there!
    "There is no, life I know, to compare with pure imagination, living there, you'll be free, if you truly wish to be." -Willy Wonka

DEVILS WITHIN, my YA dark contemporary debut, releases October 31, 2017 with Sky Pony Press

(Psst, you can add it on Goodreads, or pre-order it at B&N, Indiebound, Amazon, or Target!)

Oh, and I review publishing contracts too. Check out Anchor & Quill for a legal review before you sign!

Website
    Twitter

(((Stiger))).

I made it. I'm sort of in shock right now...

***Cheers!*** Congrats! Enjoy your shock! This is my first time to enter so I'm just happy I made it this far. I'm definitely going to keep following so I can vote for whichever AW'ers make to the finals (I know at least one of us will!)
    "There is no, life I know, to compare with pure imagination, living there, you'll be free, if you truly wish to be." -Willy Wonka

DEVILS WITHIN, my YA dark contemporary debut, releases October 31, 2017 with Sky Pony Press

(Psst, you can add it on Goodreads, or pre-order it at B&N, Indiebound, Amazon, or Target!)

Oh, and I review publishing contracts too. Check out Anchor & Quill for a legal review before you sign!

Website
    Twitter

(((Stiger)))

Yay, Hester! I made it too, still shaking with shock and excitement! Good luck to you!

-Gustav Mahler

Thanks so much AO, and huge congrats to you!! . Are you in General Fiction or YA?

I'm in General Fiction. So curious to see the reviews... So much waiting in this process *sigh*

ETA: Just got my reviews on my createspace dashboard!!
    Last edited by alias octavia; 03-20-2012 at 11:44 PM.

-Gustav Mahler

Just got my reviews and I take them both as positive. I guess competition was just really tight. The only negative they both pointed out was that I didn't explain my magic system yet, but that's something that comes up throughout the book, so I'm not really sure what to do with that. Otherwise, even though I didn't advance, I'm pretty happy with it.

Website
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Stiger05 View Post
    Just got my reviews and I take them both as positive. I guess competition was just really tight. The only negative they both pointed out was that I didn't explain my magic system yet, but that's something that comes up throughout the book, so I'm not really sure what to do with that. Otherwise, even though I didn't advance, I'm pretty happy with it.
    Speaking as a fellow fantasist who didn't make the quarter-finals, I would totally not be hard on yourself for exactly the reason you mentioned. It seems like a lot of fantasy, *especially* secondary-world fantasy, has much more ballast to get off the ground than some other genres: in addition to the Who and the What, you have a significant amount of When and Where and a daunting quantity of How to contend with as well. If that latter part is their only complaint, I reckon you deserve two inflation-adjusted pats on the back for leaving them so little to want!

Sockpuppet
    This forum closed?

Stop necroing five year old threads with questions designed to push your thread count.

It won't work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12