Always remember how good a writer you are...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storm Surge

Surfin'
Registered
Reaction score
Because you like doing it. That's why.

Why does there have to be a reason for things? It bugs me, the opinions I sometimes hear from other people. I will write until I'm dead...even though I think it sucks shit. Who cares. I love doing it. I don't need a bottom line.

This. This is exactly how I feel.

I don't have to believe in myself; I just have to enjoy doing it.

Reaction score
This is why I think Kitty's posts are the shiznit:
I believe in myself and writing ability 100%. Can't tell me nothing*Kanye voice*

You should always big up yourself. Suffocate others with the force of your unholy arrogance,people. I tell y'all that my fits of egomania are EPIC. Of course,this doesn't mean ignore constructive criticism and sound advice from people who know what they are talking about. You take those two things and use them to make your work even better.

Being positive about your writing means that when you sit down to write,there is to be none of the following:
A) Downing your work and comparing yourself to famous writers
B)Treating your book like a halfwit by comparing it to classic works.
C)Going HAM and giving up on your book because you keep thinking that it isn't good.

When you sit down to work,you should always think of yourself as the next Tolkien or whatever great writer is known in your genre. Hell,you are better!

We all have moments of self-pity,hair pulling,and fits of utter insanity as we try to perfect the query and its demonic kin,the synopsis.

Or is that just me?

The trick is not to make these moments a habit. Keep it pushing with regards to your writing and ability.
I can't say I've ever doubted my ability to write something worthy of publication.

Have I ever come down on myself, hard? Well...yes.

With specific regard to writing? No.

This is all I've ever wanted to do. The only thing I've ever been much good at.

Self-confidence =/= arrogance.

Of course I believe I'm a good writer. I can back it up with contracts, royalties and readers. That doesn't make me arrogant. It means I set out to do something and achieved it.

PS: You need to quit the KanYe nonsense though. He's an idiot. Sorry, just is. :D

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
For me, I don't have to believe I'm a good writer in order to write. I write because I have a story to tell and I LOVE to do it.

The time I have to believe in myself is when I submit. If I didn't think it was good enough to be published, I'd be paralyzed. There's no way I could muster the courage to hit Send or chuck it through the snail-mail slot. I don't have to believe I'm brilliant, I just have to believe I'm good enough.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
The first person to read my stuff is...

me.

And if I don't think it's any good, then I'll work on it until I do so. I'm not going to waste anyone's time with something that I don't think is worth reading.

Kado

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, have to say I'm one of the 'believers'. If I didn't believe in my ability to write a good yarn and write it well I don't know why I'd bother. I wouldn't 'enjoy' writing if I thought I sucked at it. But you know, everyone has a different approach to writing.

I do suffer a crisis of confidence just about every day but I somehow manage to get over it.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I don't tell myself I'm a good writer per se. I just try to tell myself that I've improved from where I was before, and that everyday, I probably make a little bit more progress. It won't be perfect; I know that. I also know that I'm not going to write like a lot of my inspiration/"mentor" writers; I'm going to write like me. Can I still use their books as inspiration? Yes, as long as I do not commit copyright infringement obviously. However, does that mean I'm going to be completely 110% like my favorite writers? Of course not.

But if I can keep working and writing, I can get to a place where my writing is good.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... instead of saying, "I'm a good writer," I think writers would be better off being more specific. "Six months ago I couldn't convey character as much as I can at present." That would still make a writer feel good about themselves and their writing and it'd be backed by concrete facts. By viewing things this way, one also doesn't risk the pitfall James mentioned about seeing no need for further improvement.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
This thread is fab.

I do OK. I had an English teacher in high school tell me I wrote like Eudora Welty. I loved that man.

Never really did much with it until 2 years ago when I first came here. Now, I see how far I've come in over 2 years. I can look back over something I've written and say, "That's pretty good." Or the last thing I wrote and say, "That's even better."

Not arrogance, but confidence. And when I compare it to some of the stuff I hear in my writers' group or that I see that's been published, I think I'm doing alright.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hip-Hop-a-potamus.

Your internet name makes me so happy.

I don't think I'm a good writer, but I also don't think I'm a good anything, so it's hard for me to be an accurate judge.

Well, that's not true. I do think I'm better at driving than all the bastards I'm always getting stuck behind. Who drives ten miles an hour below the speed limit and brakes every time the road curves? Douchebags. Douchebags who enjoy driving in front of me for all eternity. I imagine that's what the first circle of hell is like.

SOME OF US HAVE TO GET PLACES

...Anyway, I don't necessarily need to think of myself as a good writer, or a good anything, although it would make life a whole lot easier and less fraught with anxiety and self-loathing. Thing is, I like writing, and I'mma do it regardless. Always have. I never considered trying to make anything publishable until I challenged myself to write a full-length draft of a novel to see if I could do it, and then thought it would be a shame not to try to whittle a sculpture outta that turd. Nothing to lose, yeah? (Well, dignity, but I don't have much of that left. I tend to smash my face into things in public.)

And my command of spelling and grammar is marginally better than many other folks (not here on this board, but In Life), so that's something I can cling to. Y'know, feeling all superior when you drive past a Hooters billboard that says "Kid's Eat Free". Fuck you, Hooters. My kid's will NOT be eating free until you learn APOSTROPHES, bitches.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
This is why I think Kitty's posts are the shiznit:I can't say I've ever doubted my ability to write something worthy of publication.

Have I ever come down on myself, hard? Well...yes.

With specific regard to writing? No.

This is all I've ever wanted to do. The only thing I've ever been much good at.

Self-confidence =/= arrogance.

Of course I believe I'm a good writer. I can back it up with contracts, royalties and readers. That doesn't make me arrogant. It means I set out to do something and achieved it.

PS: You need to quit the KanYe nonsense though. He's an idiot. Sorry, just is. :D

I wuv your crazy behind.

And Ye,too! I can't help it!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I don't need a bottom line.

Terrific for you. I do. It isn't money. It's respect from readers who don't know me. That would be a sign that what I do has validity, value, something beyond a fantasy ego-stroke of my own invention. I can fantasize all I want about how fab a writer I am and how good my stuff is, but if nobody else agrees, what the hell good is that?

caw

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I applaud the original post for the positive note it has sent throughout the thread. Writing is a personal endeavor, and in the early (learning) stages, comes with few back pats.

I do have a caution to mention, and that has to do with combining ego with writing. It can create a slippery slope if it is allowed to stray too far from the confines of self-confidence. Some people have egos that extend well beyond their demonstrated competence, and this is an important point for us all. I would rather not state to the world that I'm a great writer. What I am is a devoted writer, which means I am working hard to not only establish my competence in writing, but to constantly increase that competence, to constantly challenge myself to improve in the craft and in storytelling. This also means always setting new goals, sometimes experimenting (even though some experiments fail), and always paying attention to how my work turns out and how it is received. So where does ego/self-confidence work into this? Both should come from more than just a singular activity like writing. What we do outside of writing is just as important in both ego and self-confidence formation as what we do with our writing. For many of us, our personal self-image was formed long before we put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard), and it's not likely writing, in its early stages, will do much to alter that in one giant swoop. We can tell ourselves that we are great writers, but I'd rather ask myself what I've done lately to work toward being a better writer. If the answer is a shoulder shrug, I'm not a great writer. If the answer to my question is that I'm trying to improve in the following ways (include personal list), I can say I am working to be a better writer. And if I can look back at my earlier writing and see how my current writing is better, I have that sense of accomplishment that gives way more than lip service to my desire to be a better writer. It shows I am doing it. That builds self-confidence in my writing world without letting my ego get ahead of my accomplishments.

Personally, I will never tell myself I'm a great writer. I'm satisfied to say I'm showing improvement in my writing because this addresses realistic short-term goals. First drafts are getting closer and closer to final drafts. My writing toolbox is expanding. I'm trying new things, even if they fall flat. I'm having more fun with my writing, and getting that sense of creative accomplishment when I work through the tough spots and sticking points in my stories.

Last edited:

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
So, everyone who reads the title of your thread is a good writer?

I would put it this way:
Always remember how good a writer you are... provided you're not a shitty one.

butterfly

Registered
Reaction score
I applaud the original post for the positive note it has sent throughout the thread.

Thank you!

Some people have egos that extend well beyond their demonstrated competence, and this is an important point for us all.

Not a lot of ego here, just confidence and determination.

I would rather not state to the world that I'm a great writer. What I am is a devoted writer, which means I am working hard to not only establish my competence in writing, but to constantly increase that competence, to constantly challenge myself to improve in the craft and in storytelling.

Yes! Determination!

For many of us, our personal self-image was formed long before we put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard), and it's not likely writing, in its early stages, will do much to alter that in one giant swoop.

sigh...so true...haunts from the past

And if I can look back at my earlier writing and see how my current writing is better, I have that sense of accomplishment that gives way more than lip service to my desire to be a better writer. It shows I am doing it. That builds self-confidence in my writing world without letting my ego get ahead of my accomplishments.

Exactly! This is you appreciating your own writing. I believe when you fall in love with your writing it's because you are discovering that finally, it's your voice coming through those words. You are letting go of those whose writing you wanted to emulate and are confident to now buy a new pen and write from your heart.

Personally, I will never tell myself I'm a great writer. I'm satisfied to say I'm showing improvement in my writing because this addresses realistic short-term goals. First drafts are getting closer and closer to final drafts. My writing toolbox is expanding. I'm trying new things, even if they fall flat. I'm having more fun with my writing, and getting that sense of creative accomplishment when I work through the tough spots and sticking points in my stories.

If you tell yourself you're a great writer then to your point, your ego has taken over and your writing will not be as strong. You should always carry a nugget of self-doubt to assure you will put all you possibly can into your writing.

So, everyone who reads the title of your thread is a good writer?

I would put it this way:
Always remember how good a writer you are... provided you're not a shitty one.

I debated on this being humorous but now it has me thinking. I think when saying "good writer" it should be taken to it's lowest common denominator - to write to make at least one other non-related person to laugh, cry, think, hope, or change their perspective because of what they read that you wrote. It doesn't have to be a blockbuster or a best seller or an instant internet sensation, it just has to make a difference in the moment of someone else's life.

I can read an 800 page book that is good but then come along a great sentence and will copy it into my Great Sentences notebook and think about it for hours. That one sentence will do it. To me, that is great writing. To be able to write that one sentence using words we all know but how we put them together, and for that one person, resonated with them to the extent they were able to think of one thing completely different from how they had thought of it before.

You can't deny the power in that, you just can't.

King Wenclas

Banned
Reaction score
Great thread. My opinion on this is that a writer needs to be a split personality, being of two minds.

First, you need a fanatic belief in your own ability. If you're not a true believer in your talent, who else will be? The author, after all, in some way is presenting himself to the reader as an authoritative voice.

At the same time, of course, the writer needs to be able to step back and ruthlessly criticize his work and himself-- to be able to tear apart that work like a mechanic examining and rebuilding a car. How are the characters? Does it have a compelling plot? Pace? Hooks? Ideas??

Writers are a curious breed. By the nature of the work-- (I'm looking at a link on the previous post as I type this)-- the writer, at least on occasion, is an introvert. But what happens when it comes time to sell that work, and the personality behind it? I used to promote writers-- it was a unique experience. Almost every writer I've known, beneath any modesty, had a large ego-- yet not all were willing to test that ego or leverage it. It was a quiet thing.

I used with them the analogy of a fur trapper, out in the wilderness by himself-- but eventually has to bring his product to civilization.

Just some stray thoughts. Merry Christmas!

(Where are the great unknown writers?)

Blitz Book Review
www.blitzreview.blogspot.com

Status
Not open for further replies.