• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

D-Publishing / Dymocks

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Unlike a traditional publisher, D Publishing enables the author to take charge of their book. We do not need to be convinced that you are worth publishing, and we will actively support the books we think have great local or national potential.

http://www.dymocks.com.au/publish/default.aspx

They really could have worded that better.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Sounds to me like nothing more nor less than Kindle/Amazon self-publishing and Nook/B&N self-publishing. Bet it won't be long before Waterstone's follows suit.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Why are people not getting upset about this the way they did about Book Country?

- Victoria

My very snarky answer to that is because it's not headed up by a former agent who happens to be an outspoken woman.

(That is, I think a lot of the criticism of Book Country was veiled anger from SP folks toward CL, for whatever stupid reason. But that's just my personal theory.)

Add to that a hefty dose of US-centrism.

They *should* be up in arms over this, though. This contract is completely unacceptable.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I agree on the US-centrism. I also think the Penguin name had a lot to do with it.

And to add my own snark: it's a lot easier to get outraged about something if a bigwig has told you that you ought to. I think Joe Konrath's swift denunciation of Book Country had a lot to do with fomenting the huge response.

Where's Konrath now?

- Victoria

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I agree on the US-centrism. I also think the Penguin name had a lot to do with it.

And to add my own snark: it's a lot easier to get outraged about something if a bigwig has told you that you ought to. I think Joe Konrath's swift denunciation of Book Country had a lot to do with fomenting the huge response.

Where's Konrath now?

- Victoria

I think we're back to US-centrism. It seems to me that Konrath only speaks out against large trade publishers in the US.

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com

Where's Konrath now?

- Victoria

I think the Penguin name and Konrath reacting had everything to do with it. The mind still boggles why authors and the industry reacts about some things and not others!

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Yeah, this is heckuva lot worse than the Penguin thing.