AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: D-Publishing / Dymocks

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin imogenenix's Avatar

D-Publishing / Dymocks

I can't see a thread here. It might be of interest - I know I would not want to go this way.

http://www.dymocks.com.au/publish/default.aspx
    Imogene Nix
    Author

Sexy Sassy Romance That's Out Of This World

Come along and join the fun!

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    Unlike a traditional publisher, D Publishing enables the author to take charge of their book. We do not need to be convinced that you are worth publishing, and we will actively support the books we think have great local or national potential.

http://www.dymocks.com.au/publish/default.aspx
    They really could have worded that better.

Sounds to me like nothing more nor less than Kindle/Amazon self-publishing and Nook/B&N self-publishing. Bet it won't be long before Waterstone's follows suit.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Here's an article about it which I saw linked to on Twitter this morning, and a succinct response there from Carole Blake, literary agent extraordinaire:

Don't touch it

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    Gawd, what an awful contract!

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    The contract is indeed atrocious, and should be avoided. I just blogged about it.

Why are people not getting upset about this the way they did about Book Country?

- Victoria

Three of a perfect pair. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    Why are people not getting upset about this the way they did about Book Country?

- Victoria
    My very snarky answer to that is because it's not headed up by a former agent who happens to be an outspoken woman.

(That is, I think a lot of the criticism of Book Country was veiled anger from SP folks toward CL, for whatever stupid reason. But that's just my personal theory.)

Add to that a hefty dose of US-centrism.

They *should* be up in arms over this, though. This contract is completely unacceptable.
    Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar

- Victoria
    I have been asking myself that same question, Victoria.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I agree on the US-centrism. I also think the Penguin name had a lot to do with it.

And to add my own snark: it's a lot easier to get outraged about something if a bigwig has told you that you ought to. I think Joe Konrath's swift denunciation of Book Country had a lot to do with fomenting the huge response.

Where's Konrath now?

- Victoria

Three of a perfect pair. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    I agree on the US-centrism. I also think the Penguin name had a lot to do with it.

And to add my own snark: it's a lot easier to get outraged about something if a bigwig has told you that you ought to. I think Joe Konrath's swift denunciation of Book Country had a lot to do with fomenting the huge response.

Where's Konrath now?

- Victoria
    I think we're back to US-centrism. It seems to me that Konrath only speaks out against large trade publishers in the US.
    Done: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    WIP: Counterpoint -- Indomitable Rock God who's secretly a twink falls for a geek who likes to tie men up.

Latest Release: Close Quarter
    Coming December 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsoluteWrite to help with site's upkeep!

practical experience, FTW MickRooney's Avatar

Where's Konrath now?

- Victoria
    I think the Penguin name and Konrath reacting had everything to do with it. The mind still boggles why authors and the industry reacts about some things and not others!

On a small world west of wonder LindaJeanne's Avatar
    Wow. Yeah, this is heckuva lot worse than the Penguin thing.
    "A story told, that can't be real / yet somehow must reflect the truth we feel..." -- Black Sabbath / Ronnie James Dio

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Dymocks has revised their contact, which The Australian Literature Review discusses here: http://auslit.net/2011/12/23/dymocks...-being-wasted/
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Dymocks discontinued D-Publishing in March '13. Some info here: http://www.booksellerandpublisher.co...=item&id=26471
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: