Doing stuff isn't my problem, coordinating it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

fasteddy8170

Registered
Reaction score
I recently put my first e-novel up on Smashwords and Amazon. Smashwords about 3 weeks ago. Amazon--a week. So, I'm just in the initial steps of promoting my work. The issue I'm having with my book promotion is coordination. My book is in the genre of political sci-fi, kind of like Fahrenheit 451 and 1984. So, I have a very defined demographic and I know where and who these people are.

But between my two Facebook accounts, my podcast where I talk about political issues, Twitter, message boards, commenting on stories on news websites, etc. it feels like I'm splashing around a lot but not doing any swimming. It's like I'm Eisenhower planning D-Day and I can't figure out how to get the Navy, Army, Air Force, and Marines to work together to defeat the Nazis without killing a bunch of my own soldiers in the process. You know what I mean?

Every good marketing plan has coordination. And I feel like I'm lacking it. I even tried to put together a marketing flowchart as a way to understand what I'm doing and before long it had lines crisscrossing the page like contrails. And I didn't even include the marketing programs the ebook sites themselves have like Smashwords' Premium Services or Amazon's "exclusive" program.

So, is this all really just a matter of doing everything as much as possible which I don't mind (although I've already been lectured that I twitter too much about my book)? Or is there some kind of "professional" way of coordinating and streamlining my efforts? I have the time (not the money) so I'm looking to use all of it well.

For the record, I fully admit that establishing reasonable goals starting out hasn't been easy and that confuses my efforts as well. It's like is 10 sales/day too high an expectation? Or is 1000 not enough? I have no idea.

Thanks

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Internet marketing isn't like putting up an advert on a board. It's about interacting with people. Only do as much as you can without losing the quality of that interaction. If you have too much to keep track of, cut out the things that aren't working.

As an example, your Twitter account is a spamfest and you might as well delete it, unless you're willing to put in the time to make a proper go of it (following people, talking to people, posting about things that aren't your book, etc). Spam isn't marketing. If anything, it's anti-marketing, because it puts people off if they see it.

Anything else you're doing the same way as Twitter... either delete it or change how you're using it. You want to end up with a few things you're doing well, rather than scattering spam to the wind.

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, don't worry you are aren't alone here, this is a very common thing huge companies with an army of marketers comes across often.

There's no easy answer i'm afraid, all i can say is go back to the very beginning and look at your brand (aka you), really analyse and sort out your author platform/strategy, and then your plan will create itself from that.

The key to co-ordination is choosing the right channels and being efficient at them. You really need to do your research, use technology where possible, link things together and have reasons for using what you're using. I come across cool new sites all the time, and it's easy to sign up. But you need to ask yourself 'Why am i using this?' 'Will this fit in with my brand and plan?' 'How can i use this to it's full potential.'

I'm currently beginning a marketing strategy guide for authors HERE. I'm a marketer by trade so hoping my experience may go on to help a few people. If that's of no help to you though, check the links section because i've added some nice writing/marketing sites there.

Any questions let me know, i'd be more than happy to help where i can. Good luck :)

Matt (Turndog Millionaire)

Last edited:

ANicolai

Author of 'Alex'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamjnicolai.com
I understand exactly how you feel; I was actually just on my way out here to post something very similar (but not identical, so I think I'll still go ahead).

I took a look at your SW and Amazon product pages, and one suggestion I would make is to tighten up your book description. It is a bit meandering and reads more like a plot synopsis to me than a jacket description. I know that won't unify your marketing strategy, but I figured every little bit helps. (I'm still not completely happy with my own product description, but it gets a little better every time I mess with it)

Jbennett

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.GirlWithBrokenWings.com
One way to help with coordination is to make sure all of your information is organized (you mentioned having a bad flow chart experience). This can be extremely difficult, especially because there are just so many different marketing options available. I started to try and put together a marketing plan for my novel, and it got so big and heavy that it almost felt like a house of cards toppling over. One thing that really helped organize and coordinate my efforts was a program called OneNote. Almost no one I know of has ever heard of it, but it comes with most standard Microsoft Office projects. I used OneNote to organize the info around my novel and to put together a marketing plan. I had a lot of friends (including writer friends) ask how to use it, so I created a free video series on OneNote for other writers and anyone who wants to get organized. Hope this helps: http://www.girlwithbrokenwings.com/writers.html

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
Sit down and do some serious time management planning. I'd even recommend you take a week to evaluate your physical work space, your calendars, your emails, and to make to-do lists that give you a schedule. According to the book Booklife, (hoping an Amazon link is OK with management?) marketing any book is give/take a three year commitment (this may change when Jeff Bezos sneezes.)

I'm also a big advocate of using schedulers - schedulers on blog posts, Boomerang on gmail to send out email to specific people on specific days, even schedulers for Facebook and Twitter posts. Tweetdeck and Seesmic can allow you to pre-write and schedule posts. Right now I'm experimenting with BufferApp that also allows me to pre-write and schedule Facebook/Twitter posts.

However, just because I have pre-scheduled stuff does not mean I am off the hook for live interaction. I have things that go up every few hours when I remember to do this, but I am NEVER just Tweeting/posting about myself. You do have to interact with people, and right now if you use G+ you pretty much have to do it all manually, which is ultimately good. By interaction, I do not mean "buy my book." I mean you must respond to their own commentary. For example, someone is cooking with tomatoes, ask them "canned or fresh?" or add to the conversation: "if you're tired of using basil in your tomato soup, I've found that thyme can give it quite a kick!"

It will take practice, planning and work. Congratulations on your venture!

OohLaLaura

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you brought this up. I also feel like I'm planning to throw too much at the wall, and not sure what I want to stick.
Especially for someone who is not super internet-savvy, it can seem like a daunting prospect to consider publicizing your work online.

Status
Not open for further replies.