Family Distractions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Do any of you other writers out there with families dream of one day making it big, and buying a house large enough that you can have a study all to yourself with a solid, soundproofed door to which you hold the only key?

To me that seems the pinnacle of luxury right about now. :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do any of you other writers out there with families dream of one day making it big, and buying a house large enough that you can have a study all to yourself with a solid, soundproofed door to which you hold the only key?

I've got it! Finally! The kids have grown up and moved out and I have my son's study. Not just a door, but a little hallway with a door at each end and a study with a laminated wipe and wash desk and a bookcase and a chair and, oh, everything.

:D

It's just as good as you hope it will be. Only - better...

Just keep getting older - that's the best advice I can give.

ETA: Oh - you know except there's the terrible loneliness and missing-of-kids. :cry:But hey - I have a STUDY!!! :snoopy:

Last edited:

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
We're building a new house in about two years complete with an office for me!!!
Unfortunately, with my kids so young, I'll probably end up working in the kitchen anyway when they are not in school just so I can keep one ear tuned to the goings-on of the house.
Sigh.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I've never needed soundproofing. If I have a room with a door, that's enough. I get left alone because I'm a writer, and I don't accept being bothered during writing hours. My office door has a lock, but I've never needed to use it.

When the door is closed, daddy is working. There will be serious consequences for bothering me without very, very good reason, has always worked for me.

LilGreenBookworm

I write with crayons.
Registered
Reaction score
My son is 2. My husband is in the military and frequently away from home. I stay at home all. day. long. Check out my blog post here about how well writing works out for me. :D

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I've got it! Finally! The kids have grown up and moved out and I have my son's study. Not just a door, but a little hallway with a door at each end and a study with a laminated wipe and wash desk and a bookcase and a chair and, oh, everything.

It's just as good as you hope it will be. Only - better...

Just keep getting older - that's the best advice I can give.

ETA: Oh - you know except there's the terrible loneliness and missing-of-kids. :cry:But hey - I have a STUDY!!! :snoopy:
LOL

anyway, OP , is this a well disguised 'writers block' thingy, or a real need for a study room? ;)

eta. love them pods!

Last edited:

sknipper

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephanieknipper.blogspot.com
Oh, that is so my dream! I've got four kids, one of whom has severe special needs. What I wouldn't give for a soundproof room of my own! As I'm typing this my special needs daughter is trying to push her way onto the chair with me. All the while she's shrieking at the top of her lungs (not mad, she does this when she's happy, and she's happy A Lot), while my other kids yell, "Gracie, hush!"

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
LOL. Here I sit with a rapidly diminishing family. (-; I have one child left at home. We have a two bedroom apartment in our basement, complete with kitchen, bath and laundry. In it, we have my MIL. In a few years we are going to have a house to ourselves. RIGHT NOW...I do not have a room to call my own. I write wherever I am sitting. My favourite place is my front porch in a Muskoka chair (I believe you Americans call them Adirondacks). Did you know they are the perfect writing chair! You sit with just the right amount of dip to hold your laptop perfectly in your---you guessed it---lap. BUT...if it isn't summer or spring or early fall...this option is out the window. I do have a balcony off my bedroom, though. We are going to get a quote to have it winterized. The roof already incorporates it...so it might be reasonable. The problem is we would be doing this for me to have a year round writing place...but it would be just added unnecessary room once we have the house to ourselves. Still...for the next few years, I would love to have a study. SO...we shall see. I may have a dedicated space soon...or I may have to wait until the boy moves away. For now...it's a laptop on the lap wherever I may be. As for family interruptions...not so bad. They see me writing, they are pretty patient about it. Honestly...I do most of my major writing at novel marathons away from the house. What I do at home is mostly edits...and tinkering. (-;

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes.

Actually I found some great little pod thingies you can build in your garden. Wouldn't even have to move. Linky to the sort of thing I'm talking about.

WANT!

I dunno, how about one of these instead? Same idea, but as a fully contained living unit.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
We are going to get a quote to have it winterized. The roof already incorporates it...so it might be reasonable. The problem is we would be doing this for me to have a year round writing place...but it would be just added unnecessary room once we have the house to ourselves. Still...for the next few years, I would love to have a study. SO...we shall see.
Go for it. life is unpredictable, so take what it gives if it's within reach (unless they are married, of course)
. and if it brings forth the big novel....

MamaStrong

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like one of those about now yes....more so I'd like the time to do it in. My energy level has hit rock bottom in the past year, my visit with the Dr. after the first should hopefully clear that up.

For now, I settle with a whole library on Thursday evenings for about 3 hrs. It'll do for now.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm at Starbucks right now with another window open. (-; NO family! And I'm editing a novel I am preparing for submission.

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I dunno, how about one of these instead? Same idea, but as a fully contained living unit.
:)
enjoyed that video. great idea instead of a caravan.

but for 40,000 euro? crazy.

I'll wait until the German's or Chinese start making them for 10,000. (actually prob Japanese, as they are masters of the use of limited space.)

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
I'd like one of those about now yes....more so I'd like the time to do it in. My energy level has hit rock bottom in the past year, my visit with the Dr. after the first should hopefully clear that up.

For now, I settle with a whole library on Thursday evenings for about 3 hrs. It'll do for now.

I'm at Starbucks right now with another window open. (-; NO family! And I'm editing a novel I am preparing for submission.
Can't write in public, not to save my life.

or with distractions
or away from my creature comforts.

or...

MamaStrong

Registered
Reaction score
Can't write in public, not to save my life.

or with distractions
or away from my creature comforts.

or...

I never said I was writing. ;) I go there in hopes to get some writing done. When the college student down a few tables from me is passing gas and laughing about it, nothing gets done.

Storm Surge

Surfin'
Registered
Reaction score
I would love to have a study... not much wrong with what I've got, but my room is too small to fit the desk I want. I want a big desk! So I can have my computer and a stack of notebooks and a bunch of reference books and my typewriter and-- well, you get the idea. :D

LilGreenBookworm

I write with crayons.
Registered
Reaction score
See, I have a spare room. It's been dubbed the hobby room, but unfortunately I don't get time to do any of my hobbies in it! My boys demand constant attention. Just two more years until we move back home, and then there will be so many friends and relatives to distract them that I'll get some glorious time to myself. But of course, we'll be living with one set of parents or another, so I won't have the room to work anymore.

Can I just run away? *sigh* ;)

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
:)
I'll wait until the German's or Chinese start making them for 10,000. (actually prob Japanese, as they are masters of the use of limited space.)

Like this? A two-person house built over a parking space.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

I have one. Infact hubby and I have one each because we can't share or there would be blood.

My big goal is to become a successful enough writer to be able to buy bigger cages for the kids.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
I don't have a family but I dream of having a study. A real desk. Then again, a bedroom would be nice too. Been living in miniscule studio apartments for the past 17 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.