AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

Thread: Cosplay!

I dunno. I'm just one of those people who tends to sew exact (or nearly so) replicas of costumes, so it just feels wrong, somehow, to wear a costume that took so much time and effort, but not bother to get the hair right. But since I'm NOT going to wear a wig, that doesn't leave me many options. Ugh. I'm too tired to think about it right now.

Filigree, thanks for offering to donate your skirt! I appreciate that. I'm not going to have internet access (probably) until the middle of next week, so I won't be able to look at the photos you post, but I will definitely look as soon as I'm able.
    "Alone is what I have. Alone protects me." -- Sherlock Holmes

I probably won't be able to post them for a while, either, so no rush.

Description: size L (about 16) with elastic waistband that could be taken in or spliced out. Ankle length on someone 5'1". General color similar to this but with a little more green & saturation: https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/16-4408-TPX

Woven bias-cut rayon with wide bands of embroidery and trimming, those shaped to form four points coming down almost to the ornate ruffled hem. Typical 'Boho' style skirt.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Anyone know of a source for patterns from the WWI era, 1915 or 1916? I've several books of sketches and fashion plates, but no patterns.

This is a new idea for an epic DragonCon costume. I still need to work out the details, but just to give a hint, it's a historical/sci-fi crossover. I'm super excited about it! The foundation is a dress from around 1916, when hemlines were mid-calf and skirts were semi-full and layered, with a kimono-style, slightly empire bodice. I've been searching online for patterns all morning, without success. It seems that most of the books and websites that offer Edwardian patterns don't go past 1912.

I could probably draft it myself, but it would take a lot more time. So . . . any ideas on where to find patterns?

Have you tried any of the vintage costuming pattern vendors?

Patterns of All Time seems to be the best, but I've never used them.
    Possibly Reconstructing History, but not likely
    Perhaps Past Patterns

I've used Reconstructing History for landsknecht. I did a mockup in muslin first and basically used the patterns to give me an idea of the shape of my pieces and how they fit together, because my people's sizes had nothing to do with the sizes in the patterns. (Two children + one adult man.) It was pretty easy with landsknecht. I don't know if it's quite that easy once you get into the more tailored shapes of the Edwardian era.

Thanks, Lonestarlibrarian. I'd already checked Past Patterns, found one or two that might work with modification, maybe. But they're expensive, especially considering that they only come in one size and you have to adjust the pattern accordingly. The others didn't have what I was looking for. There were some patterns from the era, but none of the right silhouette.

I checked all my books, too. If I want to make a natural form ballgown, I'm all set. But a simple 1916 skirt and bodice? Doesn't seem to exist!

Would it be weird if I just started wearing Edwardian dresses to normal events? I love the silhouettes so much.
    WIPs

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
    Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
    Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
    Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

Weird, maybe. But so? There's someone in Canada (I think?) who wears Victorian all the time. As long as it's not hurting anyone, do what makes you happy! And never mind whether it's weird or not.

Also, silhouettes have a habit of coming back around. When I was a teenager, based on my study of historical fashion trends, I accurately predicted that the empire waist would come back into fashion in the early 21st century. And it did! My wedding dress in 2002 had a high waist. And when I was hospitalized in 2003, my nurse wore empire-waist scrubs and that's how I knew it wasn't just a quickie fad, but actually had become fashionable again. I was so disappointed when it finally phased out. My point being, you might be able to take the silhouette you adore and make it modern, somehow. Then you'll be a trendsetter, instead of a "weird" costumer or cosplayer.

practical experience, FTW CoffeeBeans's Avatar
    I vote not weird, Heza. I'm a big fan of wearing what you love and letting others deal with what they think of it. If you love a silhouette, there are often more mainstream shapes that echo/invoke as well, if you're worried about stepping over the dressed up/playing dress up line.

Not to mention, accessories can modernize historical looks. I mix and match a lot of vintage into my daily wear even if I might have originally bought it as cosplay/historical use.

You've all convinced me. I can sew moderately well. I once made a fancy court dress for the SCA, and I'm getting into embroidery. I think I'm going to channel my sewing into making my own Edwardian-inspired dresses.... and other things.
    WIPs

Yay, Heza! Post pictures when you've made something!

I will. It'll probably be a while, though. (I'd like to slim down a bit before I start piecing together a pattern.)
    WIPs

For whatever reason, between stress and diet, I've dropped 12 pounds in the last year, and over 25 since 2011. That means a lot more options for me in costuming and fun day-wear.

My current favorite 'fancy' garb is based on Edwardian tapered coats and embroidered/beaded dresses. But I hardly go anywhere to show them off, so I'm probably just going to start selling them on my Etsy shop.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910