What Genre of Music Do You Listen To the Most?

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
For me it's Adult Alternative Rock or Coffehouse Rock. Maybe some R&B if I'm feeling soulful~ Never the oldies, although I'm a product of the seventies.

So what does it for you?

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of adult alternative... still listening to college alt.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Either metal (death or doom, not heavy!) or pop-rock with female singers. I don't really like male singers unless they're doing the dirty vocals of death metal. *shrug*

BotByte

Not a Reader, a Writer
Registered
Reaction score
OMG!!!#!@)_ DUBSTEP! WHAT ELSE IS THERE!?@#!# LOLOLOLOLOL

I feel tainted.

I mostly listen to Rock/Folk/Jazz-Bebop
I also like some darker Jazz like Bohren & der Club of Gore, Indie without the girl-man voices, Electronic like LCD Soundsystem and lots of older stuff with a massive collection of early Blues. - And I mean early!

And pretty much whatever Pitchfork rates 8.0 and up.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
1. Techno
2. Disco
3. Electro
4. Hardcore Techno (HHC, Industrial, Finnish, UK, Benelux, German, Japanese, French, Russian)
5. Electronic Serialism/Minimalism
6. Trance
7. DnB

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score

I think they share a lot of the same artists. I've see billboard charts where the same song/artist are listed in both catagories. My DH has satellite radio in his truck; I can only access it through Directv.

We had DishTV when we lived in WI. Dish has XM radio which is superior (IMO) to Sonic radio.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Uhh ... classical, I guess.

My car radio is permanently set to WFMT.

Then filk music (fsf fan music, but everyone knows that, right?).

After that, really early Jazz (I think I have four different versions of "East Saint Louis Toodle-Oo."

I like other music, but I have always been really out of touch with musical culture.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Being stuck in radio-free central Pennsylvania... about the only time I can hear anything worth listening to, is from live feeds off the interwebz, I can't afford to pay for radio... and when I'm writing - I need silence. So I'm a little clueless as to what's new.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com

I've never heard of either, but then I'm old. I've also never been one for labels, though I do sometimes refer to classical and jazz. On an average day I listen to maybe some Tool, a little Dresden Dolls, a Depeche Mode song or two, Handel, some old Joan Baez and maybe some Belle & Sebastian or if I'm happy, something with The Streets or Peaches.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
Being stuck in radio-free central Pennsylvania... about the only time I can hear anything worth listening to, is from live feeds off the interwebz, I can't afford to pay for radio... and when I'm writing - I need silence. So I'm a little clueless as to what's new.

In Ely NV, where I sometimes hang out, they have one radio station and it plays different mainstream genres like country, lite rock, oldies throughout the day. Same playlist, over and over. On Sundays it's all religious (Christian) music all day long. The first month we were there we had a rental truck w/no satellite radio. It was painful. DH now has a truck with satellite radio which I love!

No satillite radio in our car in MD. I have to catch it on the TV. I'm on dialup in MD, and have no internet hookup in Ely so no interwebz for me, alas.

Last edited:

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of either, but then I'm old. I've also never been one for labels, though I do sometimes refer to classical and jazz. On an average day I listen to maybe some Tool, a little Dresden Dolls, a Depeche Mode song or two, Handel, some old Joan Baez and maybe some Belle & Sebastian or if I'm happy, something with The Streets or Peaches.

Come on, you can't be THAT old if you listen to Tool. <g>
On Directv the channels for Adult alt is 848, and coffeehouse which is also alt is 832 (or vice versa).

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Whatever genre Loreena McKennitt, Dead Can Dance, Richard Burmer, Ray Lynch, and the like are. I listen to country when in the car with my boyfriend, because that's all he pretty much listens to. He hates the music I listen to. I also listen to rock and alternative when I need something more upbeat. Rarely rap and R&B, maybe if I'm heading to Detroit or something. Gotta blend in with the locals. LOL! I used to listen to classical a lot in high school, not so much anymore.

Velma deSelby Bowen

I miss the mountains....
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Musical theater, alt rock, pop rock, and whatever the madman with 80,000 tracks on his computer pops up with on random. Yesterday, that meant musique concrete, Richard Thompson, a reggae cover of "Boogie On Reggae Woman," and an aria from The Makropulous Case.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Opera, classical sacred, classical instrumental, classical whatever, and 3HO. (A couple of the 3HO chant CDs chase away writers' block.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal