• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Writers' Timeline Software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always a trifle dismayed by how hard they work to find computer shortcuts for simple stuff like formatting citations and references, rather than just learning how it's done, which would be much easier.

When I need to figure out a timeline, I find a yellow legal pad and a remote operating system called a "pen" work just fine.
Most of the writers you list didn't have yellow legal pads or ballpoint pens, either. Or bright electric light to see clearly by, after the sun went down.

I tutored calculus back in college. And so yes, I experienced people who put more effort into making their fancy calculators do things than into learning the fundamentals of how the math worked. So I very much sympathize on that account.

But looking for software to help with a timeline is not remotely the same thing. The software isn't doing the work for you, it's making it easier to keep track of things and move them around.

It's more helpful in certain kinds of plots than others. But the more time-sensitive details there are to keep track of, the more unweildy it can become.

Index Cards
Don't understand what "Flash card" is
I suspect he means writing the events out on index cards, which he can physically move around on a large flat surface, like a dining room table.

That's a method that I've found very helpful at times.

(you can also add different index cards with "headers" for your time-units, when you have "when" as well as sequence pinned down.)

Spreadsheets
You don't have Excel, but the Google Docs (web-based) or libreoffice.org (download software) spreadsheets are free, and can do the same things.

This is another technique I use. I make either the columns or the rows (depending on what I'm doing) into time units, and the others based on whatever it is (characters, locations, etc) that I need to keep track of.

I'll use different worksheets to zoom to different levels. The "top" level will use months or even years as it's unit; Times when a lot of events happen, I'll create a zoomed-in sheet that uses days as the unit. (or, for a very action-packed day, maybe even an hour-by-hour timeline.)

Flow Charts
This is a pen-and-paper trick I use when I need to get sequences clearer before I can properly put it on a grid.

Sometimes I know that events A and B both have to take place after event C and before event D, but it doesn't really matter which order A and B happen in. A has events E and F that follow it in sequence before D, and B has G H I that follow it in sequence.

So I draw it out in a sketchbook like so:

(don't have a scanner handy, so I'll re-recreate via ASCII)
Code:
   (prior events)
         |
         |
         |
         V
     (event C)
       |   |
     __|   |______
     |           |
     V           V
   (event A)    (Event B)
     |           |
     V           V
   (event E)    (Event G)
     |           |
     V           V
   (event F)    (Event H)
     |           |
     |           V
     |          (Event I)
     |           |
     |__     ____|
        |    |
        V    V
       (event D)
           |
           |
           V
  (subsequent events)
That shows me necessary sequence, without imposing artificial sequence requirements. Once I see the necessary sequence laid out, then I can map it to specific time units.

(My WIP has events taking place in three different locations. And, in the absence of modern communication technology or a magical equivalent, I need to keep track of the time it takes for news of events in one location to travel to another location. Some events in each location are dependent on information arriving (or not arriving yet) from elsewhere, others are completely independent of what's happening other places. This has resulted in some complicated-looking flowcharts.)

Other Software
Most specialized timeline software seems to want to impose a real-world calender, often even with real-world year numbers. Which is very unhelpful when writing speculative fiction. (Which may not apply in your case, but it's definitely gotten in my way.)

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> I've got Office 2003, does it come with that?

Excel.

Another package that does stolylines as well as hierarchical book / part / chapter / scene is Writer's Café (http://www.writerscafe.co.uk/). There is a free version you can try. The software can also be stuffed onto a USB memory key or an SD card you can shuffle between computers; it's using PortableApp if you don't have already (http://portableapps.com/) which also has portable versions of free office suites LibreOffice and OpenOffice.

-cb

JSDR

wants moar baddassery.
Registered
Reaction score
SAMPLE2.jpg
jsdrbeta
SAMPLE2.jpg
jsdrbeta

CC.Allen

Aim twice, Shoot once...
Registered
Reaction score
Texas will always be home... but dreaming of Hawai
After reading much of the suggestions here & the polite rejection of each, I think you are actually more of a pen and paper person than you want to admit to yourself.

Therefore, I would suggest you go back to where you were before this thread, just replace…

… with a piece of butcher-block paper the size of your kitchen table. This may sound like a smartass answer, but I truly do not mean it be such. You could draw your outline just as you began & stretch the story as far as you need to. Once it is all mapped out, then you can hang this on your wall for referencing during your editing and revising.

One trick: With a huge sheet of paper, you will be tempted to write bigger. Don't. Keep to your same normal size of handwriting & you will find that you never run out of space.

Last edited:

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Therefore, I would suggest you go back to where you were before this thread, just replace…

… with a piece of butcher-block paper the size of your kitchen table.

And if you want the flexibility of moving things around, instead of writing directly on the butcher paper, use Post-It notes.

FranOnTheEdge

Procrastinating lots, writing a bit
Registered
Reaction score
But looking for software to help with a timeline is not remotely the same thing. The software isn't doing the work for you, it's making it easier to keep track of things and move them around.

That is - that's exactly it!
Because at the moment I have scenes on postcards (extremely briefly mentioned - actual scenes take from 1 page (around 900 words) to 12 1/2 pages at nearly 7 thou words) and even when reduced to 1 or 2 sentences - these postcards still fill the dining room table, and I don't often get a chance to use that table for writing.

It's more helpful in certain kinds of plots than others. But the more time-sensitive details there are to keep track of, the more unweildy it can become.

Index Cards

I suspect he means writing the events out on index cards, which he can physically move around on a large flat surface, like a dining room table.
Sounds like me and the postcards - I'd have to go buy another pack, as I've used the last ones up putting scenes on them, for book 2.

That's a method that I've found very helpful at times.

(you can also add different index cards with "headers" for your time-units, when you have "when" as well as sequence pinned down.)

Spreadsheets
You don't have Excel, but the Google Docs (web-based) or libreoffice.org (download software) spreadsheets are free, and can do the same things.

This is another technique I use. I make either the columns or the rows (depending on what I'm doing) into time units, and the others based on whatever it is (characters, locations, etc) that I need to keep track of.

I'll use different worksheets to zoom to different levels. The "top" level will use months or even years as it's unit; Times when a lot of events happen, I'll create a zoomed-in sheet that uses days as the unit. (or, for a very action-packed day, maybe even an hour-by-hour timeline.)
I don't think I can cope with excel even if I could get it - or anything that works like that.

I was however thinking about using two tables (back when someone mentioned using tables in Word, I started thinking about it).
Maybe one table with the overall 3 days...
and one with the few hours of the actual murder - so expanded as you say.
Because I think to see it clearly I need to expand that section, or I'll miss something.

Flow Charts
This is a pen-and-paper trick I use when I need to get sequences clearer before I can properly put it on a grid.

Sometimes I know that events A and B both have to take place after event C and before event D, but it doesn't really matter which order A and B happen in. A has events E and F that follow it in sequence before D, and B has G H I that follow it in sequence.
Yup yup, I can follow all that - mine is like that too.

So I draw it out in a sketchbook like so:

(don't have a scanner handy, so I'll re-recreate via ASCII)
Sorry to put you to so much trouble, I do appreciate it.

Code:
   (prior events)
         |
         |
         |
         V
     (event C)
       |   |
     __|   |______
     |           |
     V           V
   (event A)    (Event B)
     |           |
     V           V
   (event E)    (Event G)
     |           |
     V           V
   (event F)    (Event H)
     |           |
     |           V
     |          (Event I)
     |           |
     |__     ____|
        |    |
        V    V
       (event D)
           |
           |
           V
  (subsequent events)
That shows me necessary sequence, without imposing artificial sequence requirements. Once I see the necessary sequence laid out, then I can map it to specific time units.

(My WIP has events taking place in three different locations.
Yup yup I've got that too - it comes of having a complex alibi in the mix. (mine does)

And, in the absence of modern communication technology or a magical equivalent, I need to keep track of the time it takes for news of events in one location to travel to another location. Some events in each location are dependent on information arriving (or not arriving yet) from elsewhere, others are completely independent of what's happening other places. This has resulted in some complicated-looking flowcharts.)
Yeah, for me it's a need to make sure my killer hasn't fumbled their alibi too much - I do want the Protag to figure it all out, but I can't have it too easy.

Other Software
Most specialized timeline software seems to want to impose a real-world calender, often even with real-world year numbers. Which is very unhelpful when writing speculative fiction. (Which may not apply in your case, but it's definitely gotten in my way.)
Yes, with the only dedicated timeline software it got in the way big time - made it impossible for me to use in the end - but I guess that's okay, in that it just means I don't need to pay out for software I can't afford when the trial time runs out.

I guess it's back to moving scraps of paper around then, well if it works it works. I thought it might be hoping for too much for there to be software to do it with. Especially with my wonky wrist.

Never mind, I'll study your diagram some more - it might hold the key to sorting me out...

FranOnTheEdge

Procrastinating lots, writing a bit
Registered
Reaction score
After reading much of the suggestions here & the polite rejection of each, I think you are actually more of a pen and paper person than you want to admit to yourself.

… with a piece of butcher-block paper the size of your kitchen table. This may sound like a smartass answer, but I truly do not mean it be such.

Okay, and I'll treat it as such, thanks. :D
Trouble is I don't have:
a) kitchen table
or
b) massive paper
I do have a massive dining room table (which I can't really use much, but I'll try)
all I have in paper is A4 - so I guess I could stick sheets together...

:flag:

Oh well, I was hoping to avoid that, but there we are, if it works....
If I have the stuck together sheets of A4, and use Scribhneoir's sugestion of post-it notes (which luckily I actually have) then....

Well it's worth a try.

You could draw your outline just as you began & stretch the story as far as you need to. Once it is all mapped out, then you can hang this on your wall for referencing during your editing and revising.
Nope, no outline, I'm past that. No walls either, for one thing I couldn't see it on a wall and secondly it's not our wall, I don't want charges when the paint falls off.

No, I need this thing right now - this IS the editing and revising. I want it where I can actually see the thing.
(which is another reason for wanting it on the PC, where I do all my work not in another room, but beggars can't be choosers...)

One trick: With a huge sheet of paper, you will be tempted to write bigger. Don't. Keep to your same normal size of handwriting & you will find that you never run out of space.
I'd be tempted to write bigger so I could actually see it!

And if you want the flexibility of moving things around, instead of writing directly on the butcher paper, use Post-It notes.

Anyway, this is all very helpful. I must go an try it out later.
Thanks all.

(Having problems with yWriter5 - can't see some of the text in the input boxes - like the first two letters of characters names... sigh.)

CC.Allen

Aim twice, Shoot once...
Registered
Reaction score
Texas will always be home... but dreaming of Hawai
Can anyone recommend any timeline software that:
a) isn't expensive, i.e. £20.00 or less (free would be nice).
b) MUST have a trial if not free.
c) is easy to use, or at least have comprehensive instructions and or helpful Forums, (like here! Lol)
d) will enable me to see at a glance if any alibis are impossible, false, not false enough, aren't where they should be...
or worse:
e) will show events that clash, (and that I need to fix)
Does anyone know of any such software?

I am going to ammend my answer to: "Sorry, no I don't. Good Luck."

Status
Not open for further replies.