Discussion for "Calling Card" Thread

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I posted on the CC thread, but I'm really just in here to read. I have a few poems-in-progress within my novel-in-progress, but other than that, it's been a long, long time since I did anything in that vein. I enjoy reading in here because it's both soothing and stimulating.

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
william, i think you should make the calling card thread a sticky,

but make the title clearer maybe, i didnt know what it was about til i opened it

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
It's been a bit since anyone posted in the discussion thread. I've read the calling card posts over and over and the one thing that has impressed me the most is that for the "calling card" it seems the common denominator is an internal, personal satisfaction of either form or content or both that is specific to the author. And because that seems to be true, the calling card thread reflects back to several other threads I've looked at: How Abstract Poetry Makes You Feel and something in the Novel Writing Thread. There is a place, within a writer, that has to be satisfied with a written piece. The piece has to originate there to be authentically born of that writer. And then, that which has been created looks for validation and affirmation. Through these different sites, I've personally come to the conclusion that it is an innate need that all writers have, "to belong", that compels them to write. All else, fame and fortune, are incidental, albeit, desirable.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
good point kdnxr, i would say for me it is more to be understood, rather than to belong..or maybe to understand myself. you know..those obscure things you think in your head that are hard to put into words? concepts that aren't necessarily universal, or at least not commonly discussed. with poetry, there is a strong need to put an emotion into words and the satisfaction after doing so. and with other writing, the same need is there, maybe more complex. satisfaction comes when i can actually get the words out right, and make some kind of sense.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
shouldn't you have posted one by now, sara?
Does 2 count? Red River was a favorite of mine. Thanks for reminding me of it.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i just read them. they're both lovely. thank you for posting them (and for the kind words about rr)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
i would say for me it is more to be understood, rather than to belong..or maybe to understand myself.
Through these different sites, I've personally come to the conclusion that it is an innate need that all writers have, "to belong", that compels them to write. All else, fame and fortune, are incidental, albeit, desirable.

For me, writing has very little to do with expressing 'myself' - to be understood or to belong. In fact, upon rereading something I've written, if I find that I've accidentally let my horses out of the barn, I can feel a bit uncomfortable and exposed.

When I write, it's about capturing a concept or an image; crystallizing stream-of-consciousness, whether it has anything to do with me or not. Mostly not. But I never said I wasn't an odd bird.

Last edited:

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
i write because i feel i need to.

i have art, and nothing more. i have no real talent for anything else,
so i turn to art as a release (drawing or writing or whatever)

maybe its selfish, an escape,

but its me.
its not some profound message i have to get out
but writing, and drawing are what make me.
and its my preferred means of communication.

though.... i havent decided, or thought upon really, what i should post
as my calling card.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
kdnxdr said:
It's been a bit since anyone posted in the discussion thread. I've read the calling card posts over and over and the one thing that has impressed me the most is that for the "calling card" it seems the common denominator is an internal, personal satisfaction of either form or content or both that is specific to the author. And because that seems to be true, the calling card thread reflects back to several other threads I've looked at: How Abstract Poetry Makes You Feel and something in the Novel Writing Thread. There is a place, within a writer, that has to be satisfied with a written piece. The piece has to originate there to be authentically born of that writer. And then, that which has been created looks for validation and affirmation. Through these different sites, I've personally come to the conclusion that it is an innate need that all writers have, "to belong", that compels them to write. All else, fame and fortune, are incidental, albeit, desirable.
Hmmm, those are good points, kdnxdr. I never really thought about it, but I agree.

There is a place, within a writer, that has to be satisfied with a written piece. The piece has to originate there to be authentically born of that writer.

Yes, I think the best writing comes from that place. Prose or poetry. When writing comes true, straight from the source like that - it can be transcendental.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
brokenfingers said:
Hmmm, those are good points, kdnxdr. I never really thought about it, but I agree.

There is a place, within a writer, that has to be satisfied with a written piece. The piece has to originate there to be authentically born of that writer.

Yes, I think the best writing comes from that place. Prose or poetry. When writing comes true, straight from the source like that - it can be transcendental.

Yes, I haven't run across a feeling to match having said exactly what I meant to.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I just read the poetry and spent WAY more time there than I should have. The million things I need to do today all just got pushed back an hour and it was worth it!

I shouldn't be surprised at the poetic talent at AW, but I have to admit, I was. Thank you all for sharing!!!

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
You all posted some very nice poetry. (as opposed to writing that in my southern dialect, "you all" sounded better) I added one but don't write poetry a lot. It's a mood phase for me and usually reflects things and events in my life. I'm not sure I'd ever want it all for public review or purchase, but at times when I really need to delve deep into my mind to find release, it's a great way to express my thoughts.

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
Wow. Reading that calling card thread makes me slightly depressed. Although i know there are some seriously talented poets in the poetry section, i didn't realise there were so many and yer all me competition - eek! ;)

Seriously though, some brilliant pieces and its great to sample 'the best of' through reading the thread.

Thanks Haskins for setting this up :)