Introverts Unite

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Hubby and I are a perfect match when we have a common goal, or obstacle to overcome. Our differences mesh then. It's when things aren't putting us under fire that we start to rub on each other like sandpaper.

I think we work because I have some extroverted tendencies, but only for short periods of time.
A friend once told me I was the most social anti-social person she had ever met. :tongue

LOL I like to listen to this song before I have to go out and mingle with other human beings when I don't feel like mingling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy8HPSIFXEM&feature=relmfu

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
I really like that Seether song, Wicked. Man! *transports to other thread*

Yaayyy more Introverts!!

Yeah, extroverts fascinate me as well. :) What is it they say about opposites?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm an introvert or an extrovert.

I like being with people sometimes. But then again I'm not comfortable in crowds.

I'm more of an extrovert than my husband. He is perfectly content to sit on the couch all weekend but I can't do that without going stir crazy.

Yasaibatake

is her own imaginary friend
Registered
Reaction score
*raises hand* Yup, that list was spot on, so count me in too...as if I needed more proof I'm an introvert...

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I'm an introvert or an extrovert.

I think introvert and extrovert are usually referenced in the extreme sense, when there is all manner of cross-over and variation in between.

In my case, I can become physically ill and withdrawn for days if I've overextended my social coping skills. Especially if I have a negative encounter. I would fall into the extreme end of that sliding scale.

M. Chandler

out in left field
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mchandler.org
And of course my introverted ways extend to message boards just like this one, where I don't want to post unless I have something valid to add to the discussion. I can't participate in chat threads at all! Sometimes I force myself to stop lurking and say something, but it's a big day when I post more than once or twice.

It'll be a while before I get my post count up. :tongue

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think introvert and extrovert are usually referenced in the extreme sense, when there is all manner of cross-over and variation in between.

Yes, I think this is true.

I did agree with what that link you referenced said about introverts being able to count their friends on one hand. I only have 2 close friends. And if you add my sisters to that--5 close friends.

I prefer quality to quantity. I only want to hang out with people who are funny, smart, and interesting.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
"In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ."

That's the nicest thing a complete stranger has said about me a long time. *sniff*

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Hello to all you lurkers who came down out of the attic. :D

:hi: :welcome:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. I can rattle on for a very long time, if I feel comfortable.

But one day of hard social interaction with keep my social needs fulfilled for a very long time. I can fake it when need be, but that drains me rapidly.

Yes, it is very draining and in fact, I do need my alone time or down time to recharge.
All this time I thought there was something wrong with me because I feel completely empty and worthless and hated by all after a party. Any party does this to me, even with my own family. Even though I've talked to people.

You mean that feeling is normal? I'm really not the only person who feels this way?:cry: Thank you!

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
Hello to all you lurkers who came down out of the attic. :D

:hi: :welcome:

:roll:

Interestingly enough, I took the complete Myer's Briggs and scored a strong INFP. On this online test, which I took on a whim, I scored INFJ. It seems either the online test is not accurate, or my personality type has changed. I still feel like me. :tongue

I'm an INFP through and out. I've taken quite a bit. I've accepted it and embrace it now.

All this time I thought there was something wrong with me because I feel completely empty and worthless and hated by all after a party. Any party does this to me, even with my own family. Even though I've talked to people.

You mean that feeling is normal? I'm really not the only person who feels this way?:cry: Thank you!

What a great feeling. To...to belong. :Clap:

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.

I don't like to talk.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.

I am horrifically shy

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

This I agree with

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

yes, but other than the few friends I have, I really don't like people

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Ok. I guess. I agree with the bolded part. But I also consider myself quasi-agoraphobic (self-diagnosis) because I see going out as a huge freaking chore. And I hate it. And I don't like going to new places.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

This I agree with

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.

I am weird.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.
Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Yesss

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

yes

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.

ok, that last paragraph - I completely agree with. I can not be fixed.

But... because I disagree with so much of what this said, does that mean I'm not an introvert... I'm just socially retarded???

Last edited:

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a great feeling. To...to belong. :Clap:
I'm going to try to remember this Christmas night when I come home from my parent's house feeling wretched and alone. What's weird about this is, I have a great family and we all get along quite nicely. I would consider my sisters and parents some of the best friends I have. Yet put us all together, with all the grandkids and spouses and hangers-on, (yes, our family has hangers-on; we're a little like the Royal Tennenbaums) and I'll feel numb inside by the time I escape.

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
ok, if I can point out another thing, purple prose aside. I sometimes feel like a loser, or like I haven't had a real "life" because I've never married or had kids (never wanted to) and I don't own a business... I've never been anywhere...

But I'm not depressed (like my family thinks) I'm just living an internal life. I don't feel like my life is out.... out there! It's in here. It's in me. I have my stories and elaborate fantasies that go on endlessly in my head. I've always been rather disgusted with the attitude that you have to go out and sow your wild oats and be a promiscuous pot smoking basejumper for a few years in college in order to really "live life". My life has always been internal, inside my own head.

Is anyone else like that? Or should I start ducking the rotten tomatoes now?

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.

I am weird.

Embrace the weird. We own weird. We make weird look good. :D

But... because I disagree with so much of what this said, does that mean I'm not an introvert... I'm just socially retarded???

No, it just means you're a slightly different type of introvert than the person who wrote the article. Until I saw this one, all the others read to me like this one reads to you.
Yes.
No.
Sort of.
Partially.
I didn't line up with those particular introverted personalities. It still left me feeling like an outsider among outsiders.

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
I think I've read that post before...Don't remember when, though.

Oh, I'm not just an introvert...but yeah, extroverts are puzzling to me. I'd like to know another introvert sometime...

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Embrace the weird. We own weird. We make weird look good. :D

No, it just means you're a slightly different type of introvert than the person who wrote the article. Until I saw this one, all the others read to me like this one reads to you.
Yes.
No.
Sort of.
Partially.
I didn't line up with those particular introverted personalities. It still left me feeling like an outsider among outsiders.

ok... then I'm not so weird, I guess. :)

Satsya

slow and steady
Registered
Reaction score
*happy flail* I always like reminders that being an introvert is not so strange and lonely.

The worst part about being an introvert is that it's difficult to integrate into new communities and make new friends. Unfortunately, that's a pretty big negative in today's connected world.

There is one phenomenon I'm curious about: I've noticed that many introverts are more outgoing on the internet than in face-to-face interactions. Is this true in general? I tend to be shy on the internet and more outgoing (though often quiet) in face-to-face interactions, myself.