Acceptances... and Possible Better Acceptances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you send a story to a few journals simultaneously, and one accepts it right away, is it rude to wait a couple of days to answer them, in case the one you'd rather have accepts it, too?

If it had been that big of a deal to me, I'd have sent it to my first choice and waited for their reply, so this is more of an afterthought. I'm thinking the etiquette is probably the first that accepts it, gets it. But then I realized that's just what I think, and nobody ever actually told me that. So?

Thanks.

Last edited:

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
If you're getting multiple acceptances on your stories I'm jealous as hell.

Congrats.

I would say if you're sending your stories to journals you want to get into, it doesn't matter which one takes it. It seems like good etiquette to give that journal the story. But I'm not an expert, just what I would do.

If you do get into another journal, just send a polite note that "so sorry, it was accepted elsewhere." I'm sure they'll understand. Plus you know your writing fits that other journal, so you can send something else there later on.

Just my thoughts. Let us know where we can read this story, wherever it comes out!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Check and double check that the places you've sent it don't expect exclusives.

If any of them require exclusive submissions I suggest you accept immediately and e-mail the others to say you're pulling the story because you want to do some edits or something.

I know of someone who nearly got badly burned by multiple submissions. She sent it to several magazines, one accepted and she wrote the other editor to let him know she'd been accepted elsewhere. He phoned the first editor and they BOTH refused to print the story.

It was sorted out in the end, but only because she happened to know a fairly well known author who talked to the editors for her.

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
Check and double check that the places you've sent it don't expect exclusives.

If any of them require exclusive submissions I suggest you accept immediately and e-mail the others to say you're pulling the story because you want to do some edits or something.

I know of someone who nearly got badly burned by multiple submissions. She sent it to several magazines, one accepted and she wrote the other editor to let him know she'd been accepted elsewhere. He phoned the first editor and they BOTH refused to print the story.

It was sorted out in the end, but only because she happened to know a fairly well known author who talked to the editors for her.

What a nightmare! That's a good point though, I assumed the OP was referring to markets that take simultaneous submissions, but you should make sure that's the case.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
First, make sure you're only sending multiple subs to journals that accept them.

Second, send a story to your TOP pick first, exclusively if you must.

Third, bird in hand.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FB, literally a few days is fine. Make it less than a week and you should be fine.

Maryn, moving even slower than publishing today

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone so far.

Maryn, that's what I was hoping to hear. So I guess I'll just wait happily for a little and hope to get even happier. :)

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now I have two acceptances. Can I can take both?

The first one wants to publish it in March. They just list that they request to be mentioned if it's published again elsewhere. The second one wants to publish it in April. So what if I accept the first one, and then ask the second one if they want it under those conditions?

Neither one pays, they're just small online lit journals, so no financial considerations. What I'm wondering, though, is if it's okay etiquette or not.

It doesn't go against number one's stated policy but still, it would be out somewhere else the very next month. And with number two, well, is it presumptious even to ask?

It would be more fun to get two credits instead of one, of course, if it's fair play. But if it's not, I don't want to go bumbling in and offend everyone, lol. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe simultaneous submissions is ever a good strategy for a writer. Ever.

But if I did believe in it, I still wouldn't send a story to any magazine I wouldn't jump all over if they sent an acceptance letter.

Chekurtab

Smart donkey. Please don't call me-
Registered
Reaction score
Do they pay royalties at the end? Let's say after they sell certain number of copies. In which case - the more the merrier.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
And then it gets published, and the ones to whom you misrepresented your reasons for pulling it sees it and knows you were less than forthcoming? Is that really good advice?

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Most places accept simultaneous submissions, but they want to be made aware that you are submitting to other places right up front.

I have had stories accepted and had to pull them from other journals. You don't need to give a reason why. Just be professional.

Hello Mr. _____,

I would like to pull my submission of "This Great Story." Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Signed,
CrastersBabies

I've never had issues or had a journal get upset or angry. Most will write back with, "okay, thank you for letting us know, good luck!"

There was a time when simultaneous submissions were a huge no-no, but people still did it anyway. Journals/magazines, etc just grew with the times I guess.

Since submissions are bigger in number these days with the ability to submit online, it gives journals more options. The magazines that still require paper/postal submissions do not get as many from what I've read. I still target those (hey, it lessens the competition!) but it will eat up a good 8-hour chunk of my time in a day to get letters written and format the manuscript per submission guidelines.

Maybe because of the online submissions (and ease) journals have gotten a lot more lenient with simultaneous submissions? Hmmm....

As for this situation . . .

Do you know how long the other magazine takes to get back to you? If you're waiting a week to reply that's one thing. If you think you'll be waiting longer, I'd reconsider waiting.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
What CrastersBabies said, Fruitbat. Even with small, obscure journals, and a new climate of leniency, this situation is dangerous. They both want first shot at your work, and that's great. One of them will have to lose out. Don't lie and try to bluff it out. You don't have to give a reason, but you do have to pick one to dance with. Play nice, and you'll have two editors open to future submissions. That's better than having your name blackened because of a misunderstanding -- and not even for any money.

Why Filigree is old-fashioned enough to send stories to one market at a time.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, all. :)

I am happy to receive multiple offers on simultaneous submissions (allowed, of course), not sure how any negatives got mixed up in that. And, like I said, if one or the other was a big deal to me then I would not have submitted to several at once. I did that the way I wanted to. My questions are on what editors consider to be the polite way of doing things within what they state that they allow. I think my first question is answered, but the second one, I have looked up editor sites and such, but just not finding it.

Mods, can you move this to "Ask the Editor?"

Probably what doesn't seem to apply to my situation applies to that of many others anyway, so good deal. :)

Last edited:

KalenO

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com
And then it gets published, and the ones to whom you misrepresented your reasons for pulling it sees it and knows you were less than forthcoming? Is that really good advice?

Al, I think Drachen was discussing in the event of the OP having already sent simultaneous submissions when he shouldn't have - making the best of a bad mistake, so to speak.

And to be fair, given the delay between acceptance and publication and how much it varies from journal to journal, there wouldn't really be any way for the other mags to know the timeline of when the piece was accepted - it could feasibly have been picked up after it was 'edited' and resubmitted elsewhere.

But yes, I think we're all agreed - if its not supposed to be simultaneously submitted, don't do that. And it really doesn't sound like that was the situation with the OP anyway.

The Lonely One

Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe simultaneous submissions is ever a good strategy for a writer. Ever.

But if I did believe in it, I still wouldn't send a story to any magazine I wouldn't jump all over if they sent an acceptance letter.

That's interesting. I certainly trust your track record, but can you expand on this a little? The reason is I've seen in some magazine mastheads that they don't expect exclusives because of the pace of editors getting back to authors with a yay/nay.

Also, is it wrong to want to be read, even if the journals are smaller? I mean, I get to send the story to your top picks first, but not send at all to those with lesser circulations (ones you may not want to jump all over, but one which will still get a story you couldn't sell read)? Or maybe I'm kind of misinterpreting here.

Just curious what you'd have to say about these things, not objecting to your opinion, necessarily. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
That's interesting. I certainly trust your track record, but can you expand on this a little? The reason is I've seen in some magazine mastheads that they don't expect exclusives because of the pace of editors getting back to authors with a yay/nay.

Also, is it wrong to want to be read, even if the journals are smaller? I mean, I get to send the story to your top picks first, but not send at all to those with lesser circulations (ones you may not want to jump all over, but one which will still get a story you couldn't sell read)? Or maybe I'm kind of misinterpreting here.

Just curious what you'd have to say about these things, not objecting to your opinion, necessarily. Thanks.

My really big problem with simultaneous submissions is that they only work if you;re a good enough writer to sell pretty much everything you write as it stands.

Say you're a new writer, and you submit a story to five magazines. You're probably going to pick the top five. Now, say your story needs work, as just about all stories by new writers do.

You just blew four chances to receive feedback, rewrite the story, and submit it to the next magazine. You've already been rejected by the top five, all at once, because your story wasn't quite good enough.

So any rewrite will have to be for the sixth best magazine. If you go the simultaneous route again, and if the story still isn't quite right, you've blown four more chances.

A story of near professional quality will almost always receive some sort of feedback, and this is critical for fast, regular sales. A story that isn't close to professional level isn't going to sell anywhere, regardless of of the submission process you use.

I've found, through my own experience, that the best and fastest way to sell short stories is to target a specific magazine. Read it, and write the story accordingly. Or write the story first, then read the magazine, and make any little changes you can think of to make it fit that magazine.

Submit it. If it doesn't sell, it will still receive some sort of feedback, if it's any good at all. Use this feedback before submitting to the next magazine.

Writers use simultaneous submissions because they think it saves time. They say, "But it would take years to submit this to one magazine at a time." My experience is the opposite. It only takes years if you've written a story no one wants. If you write a story you've targeted, and if you write well, it's going to sell to one of those top five magazines because you've used the feedback between submissions to make needed changes.

The other side of the coin, the place where time does matter, is in how many stories you write. I've not sure how many short stories most writers have to write before selling one to a good magazine, but again from my experience, it's in the dozens, sometimes in the hundreds.

But I've found this number typically goes way down if the writer writes regularly, produces a good amount of fiction, but takes the time to target specific magazines, submits the stories one at a time, and worries more about the learning curve, rather than how long it takes to submit stories to one magazine at a time.

Really. If a writer submits to the top five magazines at once, and always gets a hit from one of them, he can submit simultaneous or not, though I still find I get better, and considerably more frequent, sales by hitting them one at a time, but if a writers is consistently rejected by the top five, or the top ten, or the top twenty magazines, simultaneous submissions will certainly allow him to burn through all the magazines out there much faster, but it won't produce sales, unless it's to the occasional bottom tier magazine.

That writer needs to slow down, focus on the learning curve, target magazines, make them fit the magazine, even if the quality is still a bit lower than the editor wants, use the feedback to rewrite, and do the same thing with the next magazine.

And if that writer is writing as many stories as he should be, it won't be long before he has stories sitting at several magazines without any simultaneous submissions.

I've always wanted my stories to be the best they can possibly be, and I want sales that reflect this. Going one at a time has made this happen, and has worked for writers in workshops I've dealt with. Sometimes going slow gives much faster results that trying to go too fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.