AWMonday Memes - Changing from Weekly to Monthly

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Hi, as promised (or threatened, however the case may be) here's the Monday Meme thread.

The idea (note, NOT RULES - there are no rules - just ideas)

If you do decide to pick up the meme, I recommend you link back to this thread and to the blogs of the non-AW people you tagged to do the meme.

I think it would be fun to create a searchable listing of all the blogs that are picking up the meme. So I've created a Technorati tag. You can add this code to the bottom of your post and ask anyone you tag to do the same:
<a href="http://technorati.com/tag/AWMondayMemes" rel="tag">AWMondayMemes</a>

Please use that tag and not create a new one so all our MondayMeme posts will show up under the same search. :)

It would also be nice, if you decide to play along, if you came back to this thread and told us you're picking up the meme. You can mention who you tagged as well. You don't have to tag anyone who participates in this forum - everyone is considered "tagged" - but you can if you want to. :)

Monday, December 5th Meme:

Feeling rather holiday-ish tonight I thought the first AWMondayMeme should be: what are the 10 books or sets of books you most wish you could find under/beside/in your {insert appropriate holiday decor/object}?

Get creative - whether it's a signed first edition or a illuminated manuscript, anything goes!

I've already posted my answer in my blog and put the Technorati tag in place as well.

If you have ideas for future memes just let me know - all suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to go see all the Monday Memes - if you put one up, could you come back here and post a "me too" post so I don't miss one? :)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
<peeks out from under a rock> >''<

am I missing something here? Am I supposed to make up questions and pass them around, too?

And how will I know if I get tagged again unless someone steps on my rock and wakes me up?

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can post your own meme on your blog and tag others. If you get tagged again one would hope that the 'tagger' lets you know via a comment on your blog or a PM here. This thread is just for the AWMondayMemes (stay tuned for Dec 12ths!) and for folks to let us all know they did theirs. :)

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to do anything but post the meme in your blog - all the tag does is aggregate all the tagged posts in one place on Technorati for easy search.

If you "tag" someone else to do the meme you can let them in on the HTML tag as well.

I'm looking forward to reading your answers!

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great list!

If you were curious about the "AWMondayMemes" tag it needs to be entered into the HTML editor window - if you just cut and paste into the compose window it doesn't seem to work. But, like I said, it's not a big deal - just one of Dawno's crazy ideas.

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
Thanks for the tip on the comments thing. I went in and changed it to anyone can comment.

I still am unsure on the tag, think you could come over and help me? Seriously I will just post and tag like I did. We'll see what happens...

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dawno said:
Great list!

If you were curious about the "AWMondayMemes" tag it needs to be entered into the HTML editor window - if you just cut and paste into the compose window it doesn't seem to work. But, like I said, it's not a big deal - just one of Dawno's crazy ideas.

:Shrug: that's what I did

I couldn't *change* it to say something else, like: Look Here
please don't make it any harder than it is. my brain hurts now.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dec. 12th AWMondayMeme

List the holiday songs you know by heart, but only the ones where you know more than just the first verse.

You you can list as many as you want - could be bragging rights at stake here...;) Certainly feel free to quote any verse you're unusually proud you know. Like the third verse of Adeste Fedelis...I'd be proud if I could remember it, but I only know two by heart.

By the way, a "holiday song" is any seasonal song. Winter Wonderland, Jingle Bells, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer or Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer...

The tag is <a href="http://technorati.com/tag/AWMondayMemes" rel="tag">AWMondayMemes</a> if you care to use it :)

Reaction score
I was tagged over the weekend but I still don't get what memes are or how you 'do' them. Am I stupid?

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, scarlett. I have to have these things explained to me in great detail. Oh, Dawno! Whereforartthou, Dawno?Basically, you answer the questions and post your answers in your blog. If you have the AW MeMe you add the tag lines:<a href="http://technorati.com/tag/AWMondayMemes" rel="tag">AWMondayMemes</a> so "something/one can 'find' you" and get us all in one place. (I think)

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
scarletpeaches said:
I was tagged over the weekend but I still don't get what memes are or how you 'do' them. Am I stupid?

Nope. Hope this helps:

Meme Primer

What is a Meme? I think this Wikipedia entry has a good explanation.

Aren't memes a silly waste of time?
Sure. I think that's the point. :)

What does it mean to be 'tagged' to do a meme?
Someone else got tagged (or is the originator of the meme) and wants you to play along.

What do I do if I'm tagged? Refer to the person who tagged you by a link back to their post, complete the meme and tag someone else to propagate the meme. Or not. You can ignore it completely. Memes are like chain letters, but without the dire warnings - you really can't stop them, you can only ignore them.

What is the AW Monday Meme?
A silly idea cooked up by Dawno for anyone interested in playing along. These memes will be posted in this thread. You can do the meme and tag someone but anyone who reads this thread is "tagged"

What is the "Technorati Tag" for? The Technorati tag tells Technorati that your post is an AW Monday Meme. If you include the HTML at the bottom of your post and 'ping' Technorati with your site the tagged AW Monday Memes are listed at Technorati. It's a way to aggregate the memes and search them. Wanna see what jdkiggins wrote, or srthrnwriter, or Unique? Check the list!

What is the HTML for the Technorati tag? <a href="http://technorati.com/tag/AWMondayMemes" rel="tag">AWMondayMemes</a>

How do I 'ping' Technorati? Go to the manual ping page and enter your website URL.

Do I put a Technorati Tag on a meme if it's not an AW Monday Meme? I'd rather you only use it for the AW memes, but sure, if you want to.

Did that help?

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Five Monday Meme's on the list so far! Do go read them even if you don't do one yourself. You'll find them listed here.

If you did one but didn't put a Technorati tag on it, do come by here and let us know to go take a peek at your post!

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi again! Thanks to all of you who did last week's meme. I'll post another Monday the 19th but then we'll all get a break for two weeks. So no meme on the 26th or 2nd of Jan. If we don't cross paths here or on our blogs - I hope everyone feels joy and love on the holiday they celebrate.

kathompson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathompson.blogspot.com
Dawno said:
If you did one but didn't put a Technorati tag on it, do come by here and let us know to go take a peek at your post!
I put a technorati tag on the one I did a couple days ago, but I have no idea if it worked...I don't see it listed.
:Hammer:

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MondayMeme#3 - Last one for 2005!

This meme comes from Veinglory's blog. I loved it (almost as much as the gay zombie penguins, but not quite). So, in the truest tradition of meme-ing I'm passing it along to you. (and, yes, I did post my 'memory' in Veinglory's comments. You'll understand what I mean when you read on.)

This is a bit like a writing prompt. You are being asked to compose a COMPLETELY MADE UP AND FICTIONAL memory of you and someone else on AW or your blog-roll. It can be anything you want - good or bad - BUT IT HAS TO BE FAKE. Identify who the person is and link to their blog or AW Profile as well. Feel free to tag them to pass on the meme if you'd like.

Now, if you want to propagate the meme, as part of your post you should include the following text:

If you read this, if your eyes are passing over this right now, (even if we don't speak often) please post a comment with a COMPLETELY MADE UP AND FICTIONAL memory of you and me. It can be anything you want - good or bad - BUT IT HAS TO BE FAKE.

When you're finished, post this little paragraph on your blog and be surprised (or mortified) about what people DON'T ACTUALLY remember about you.
As always, I'd love it if you'd use the AWMondayMemes's tag.

I've gotten some comments about that tag - that folks have used it and they're not showing up on Technorati. Since I'm not an expert in how it works all I can suggest is that you manually ping Technorati that you've updated your blog. If you want me to drop by your blog and see if you've done the tag right, I'm happy to do so. Just ask me in comments, on the AW Monday Meme's thread or PM me.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read a couple doozies in response to this meme already - I recommend you read Unique's blog and Maestroworks as well. The comments in mine aren't too shabby either :) Thanks for playing along!