Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 94 of 179 FirstFirst ... 19446984888990919293949596979899100104119144169 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 4458

Thread: Authors should really stop telling readers how to give reviews

My sarcasm got the better of me. Midian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DBrimson View Post
    But I have little or no time for those who spend all their time on forums bleating that publishing, traditional or otherwise, is hard.
    But you have plenty of time to come to a thread and bitch at random strangers for discussing it apparently. You have no idea how much time anyone spends discussing anything.

News flash! Judging people you haven't bothered to get to know isn't the best way to make friends.
    * . * . * C h e r y l * . * . *
    ~@Midian42~ ~Facebook~ ~Email~
    ~ - * - ~ - * - ~ - * - ~ - * - ~ - * - ~ - * - ~
    I used to have a thing here that said the progress of my current WIPs. I removed them when the progress hadn't changed in two years.

Yes, you like to 'talk' you don't like to debate. Because if you did you wouldn't so easily and readily dismiss views which don't agree with your own.
    Three . . . Two . . . One
    The Speculator: On submission.
    Aelia: Work In Progress

Attends The School of AW Alitriona's Avatar
    As for respecting authors... I've always had the utmost respect for those who actually get out there and do it because that's what I do. But I have little or no time for those who spend all their time on forums bleating that publishing, traditional or otherwise, is hard.

News flash! It's always been hard just like there have always been unfair reviews and there have always been authors who play the system to promote themselves and sell books.
    News flash! That would be you bleating on in my opinion. We are discussing a subject relevant to the industry we are involved in.

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Quote Originally Posted by Midian View Post
    But you have plenty of time to come to a thread and bitch at random strangers for discussing it apparently.
    Well I'm a professional author who works hard and actually sells books. So when it's an issue which directly involves or reflects upon me, yes, I do indeed find the time to comment.

It's hardly my fault that you don't agree with my opinions but given that they are based on actual experience as opposed to anything else, I don't actually think that it's unreasonable to make them.

Re: RJ Ellroy, this is the most shocking part of it:

There are no UK authors doing something more challenging and brave, or are we consigned as crime fiction readers to an endless litany of paint-by-numbers, does-what-it-says-on-the-tin formulaic books that forgotten by the time you've closed the last page.

Holy Crap. Talk about attempting to sabotage colleagues careers. Either that he's not reading enough British crime fiction. I remember reading one of his books a few years ago, I actually thought he was American! If I was to go for a British author, I would look at Ian Rankin, Nicci French or Sophie Hannah.
    The Speculator: On submission.
    Aelia: Work In Progress

My sarcasm got the better of me. Midian's Avatar
    Well I'm a professional author who works hard and actually sells books.
    I'm so sorry! How silly of us for not realizing! Here, let me heap oodles of praise upon you and feed you grapes as you recline upon the heaving bosom of virgins. Please, grace us with your presence as you are the only published author to ever lay eyes upon these pixels.

It's hardly my fault that you don't agree with my opinions but given that they are based on actual experience as opposed to anything else, I don't actually think that it's unreasonable to make them.
    I don't recall giving an opinion on anything but your attitude.

No worries, though. I don't intend to respond anymore so you'll be able to get the last word in. You know, since you're a published author and we should just let you walk all over everyone and accept your rudeness. You may continue to look down upon us from your golden perch on high.
    * . * . * C h e r y l * . * . *
    ~@Midian42~ ~Facebook~ ~Email~
    ~ - * - ~ - * - ~ - * - ~ - * - ~ - * - ~ - * - ~
    I used to have a thing here that said the progress of my current WIPs. I removed them when the progress hadn't changed in two years.

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    Blah, blah, blah.
    No one said it's acceptable, I just pointed out that it's nothing new and people suddenly getting all indignant about it is beyond laughable.

As for respecting authors... I've always had the utmost respect for those who actually get out there and do it because that's what I do. But I have little or no time for those who spend all their time on forums bleating that publishing, traditional or otherwise, is hard.

News flash! It's always been hard just like there have always been unfair reviews and there have always been authors who play the system to promote themselves and sell books. If you don't like, understand or accept that, then maybe you would be better served doing something else.
    Well I'm a professional author who works hard and actually sells books. So when it's an issue which directly involves or reflects upon me, yes, I do indeed find the time to comment.

I am confused as to why you assume that you, a "professional author," are speaking to those who are not.

I am also confused as to why you assume that a request for civility is somehow not connected to professionalism.

I am confused as to why you wish to outshout a conversation in which you have refused to participate.

I do not know to whom you are speaking, but it does not seem to be anybody present.

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fireluxlou View Post
    I just looked at STRGB site and I think the next post will be about this place because in the top side bar it says on upcoming posts: The Banning of Robin Sullivan

And if you search that on google you get a post by her on her blog about her banning from AW.
    Quote Originally Posted by amergina View Post
    What ever happened to her, anyway?
    She's kinda been under the radar since Christmas - her father passed away, and since then she's not really been about. Neither the website nor her blog have been updated in months, and I know there were several issues with books being late and no contact etc.

Good god almighty, this subject is becoming increasingly tiresome.
    And no one is forcing you to participate.

If you don't like the conversation, don't join in. But don't try to tell people what they can and cannot talk about because you find it 'tiresome.'

Summary: this sort of crap has always gone on and it always will. Get over it.
    Blah, blah, blah.
    Well, seems like someone may be coming to the end of his time here.

Dougie, we have one rule here - respect your fellow writer. You're not respecting anyone with this sort of response.

For a 'professional' writer you are currently showing a high level of ignorance about how to behave in public. You might want to see to that.

Yes, you like to 'talk' you don't like to debate. Because if you did you wouldn't so easily and readily dismiss views which don't agree with your own.
    From the man who responded to someone else's opinion with 'blah,blah,blah.'

Well I'm a professional author
    You might want to focus more on the 'professional' part.

You're being very confrontational, agressive and dismissive. It's not helping your argument.

Which is all well and good. But do you think that the rest of us who are also discussing it have no experience and have pulled those opinions out of our ass?
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    For a man that continually tells people he doesn't have time for this, you sure spend an awful lot of time posting about it Dougie.

Remember what you said recently on the Amazon forums? That you had more important things to do:

As I've maintained since day one, my primary task as a professional author is to complete work which pays my bills and recently, there has been a lot of work. The screenplay which originally brought me to the Amazon forums has needed to be rewritten as the producers shifted a couple of plot points and I've also been working hard to finish a book I had originally planned to release at the end of June. In addition, I've had to tweak the screenplay based on that book to suit a specific actor who has expressed an interest in taking the lead role and I've been commissioned to develop a movie for a new actress.

The football season has also just started which consumes a great deal of time and I have other things which I like to do (go stock car racing, watch the Olympics and paralympics, ride motorbikes, see wife & kids, eat) which also take chunks out of my days.
    And yet, with such an incredibly busy schedule, you still have time to come back here (where you said you weren't coming back to) and continue to post on a subject you'd already said you didn't want to talk about any more. Remember?

Now, from this point on, this will be me not being dragged into anything so I will not respond to anything posted on here. It takes up too much time and as you can see if you look at the Amazon forums, no one actually listens anyway. It simply descends into a pointless slanging match and I for one have far better things to do with my time. Indeed, it is worth pointing out that as a professional writer paid work will always take priority over anything I do involving the issue of either reviewers or authors.

Looks to me more like, whether or not you have 'better things to do', you just cannot accept that you came in here making wild, sweeping accusations and generalisations (just as you did at Amazon UK and Amazon US) which you couldn't back up, got all uppity and flounced out when people started pointing out your bullshit for what it is and then, instead of just staying out of it like you said you were going to, you change tack and come back and start spouting off that everything we have been saying here and elsewhere is exactly what you have been trying to say all along...

Yeah. Right. Pull the other one, it plays 'God Save the Queen'...

I just looked at STRGB site and I think the next post will be about this place because in the top side bar it says on upcoming posts: The Banning of Robin Sullivan
    Not to give them more traffic or anything - but the article is live now. And boy is it hilarious. Apparantly James is a megalomaniac now and we should all stay away from him.

I'd rather listen to the advice Uncle Jim gives before any of the crap Auntie Athena spews.

At least he's an author, and knows what he's talking about when it comes to writing books and publishing.

Auntie Athena, remember, has been at pains to remind all and sundry that she (and the rest of the STGRB loons) are not authors. Which kind of raises the question about just how much they know about the industry when compared to James.

Or are they now changing their minds and claiming to be authors?
    Last edited by CmdrShepard; 09-03-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Perhaps what's throwing Dougie off is that he's the only one who feels the need to keep restating that he's a Professional Author. Since the rest of the professional authors here don't feel that need, perhaps he thinks he's the only one of us who is.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesnít equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog

Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    James doesn't insist on being called "Uncle Jim", so I'm not sure why they're harping on that moniker.

I mean, my handle is Queen of Swords, and some people call me Queen. Doesn't that sound even more megalomaniacal than "Uncle"?
    Sleeping Beauty m/m retelling : 13059 words.

But everyone knows that you're a pushover when compared to 'mean old Uncle Jim', Your Majesty.

ETA: guys that post I thought would be about us is up STRGB and when talking about James D. MacDonald they highlight a post in which he is talking to D. Brimson above. I still think you are part of that site in some form or another D. Brimson.
    I'm really not. But hey...

Quote Originally Posted by Terie View Post
    Perhaps what's throwing Dougie off is that he's the only one who feels the need to keep restating that he's a Professional Author. Since the rest of the professional authors here don't feel that need, perhaps he thinks he's the only one of us who is.

Quote: Currently, I work as a senior-level technical writer for a software company. In my spare time, I write fiction for teenagers and adults. Unquote.

I think you need to take a fresh look at the definition of 'professional' dear.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShepard View Post
    For a man that continually tells people he doesn't have time for this, you sure spend an awful lot of time posting about it Dougie.
    You're read my stuff, you know I like a bit of confrontation every now and then. It's good for the soul!

And it's jolly good fun. ;-)

I think you need to take five minutes to read the stickies - did you skip over the part about respecting other members?
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.
    Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
    Dude, I am not that flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

Quote: Currently, I work as a senior-level technical writer for a software company. In my spare time, I write fiction for teenagers and adults. Unquote.

First of all, I wasn't necessarily talking about myself. There are many professional writers responding in this thread.

Second of all, I have five novels and one nonfiction book published by commercial publishers (the nonfiction by the UK equivalent of a Big 6 publisher). I also get paid a good salary for writing in my day job. How exactly does this not fit the definition of 'professional'?

Finally, I am not, have never been, and never will be your 'dear'. Do not EVER use such sexist language in addressing me again.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesnít equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

practical experience, FTW Wisteria Vine's Avatar
    There is something so very wrong with those STGRB folks. Alluding to Jim as a pedophile? Really? Because people call him "Uncle?" Cripes.

They sure do have the moral high ground staked out which is pretty impressive considering they're so busy marinating in their own froth and saliva, dreaming up vast multi-national conspiracies against authors. There should be some sort of award for that kind of dedication and delusion.

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar

And we're back to patronising and confrontational. With all due respect, Dougie, perhaps YOU need to school yourself on what professional means, because you are acting anything but.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisteria Vine View Post
    There is something so very wrong with those STGRB folks. Alluding to Jim as a pedophile? Really? Because people call him "Uncle?" Cripes.
    Surely that's illegal. I mean, you can't make those sort of allegations or statements in public?
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by shaldna View Post
    And we're back to patronising and confrontational. With all due respect, Dougie, perhaps YOU need to school yourself on what professional means, because you are acting anything but.
    Or maybe he's fishing to get banned so he can go bleat about that all around the internez...
    Je suis Charlie

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

Passion is easy; commitment is hard.

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    As a professional technical writer, I would like to apologize for my profession for Dougie's unprofessional behavior.

Please do not judge the rest of the technical writer's profession by his lack of courtesy, writing ability, nor his (intentionally) abrasive attitude. Most of us are actually rather easy to get along with -- as long as the darn developers remember to comment their code.

needed a good laugh today Anaquana's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard White View Post
    As a professional technical writer, I would like to apologize for my profession for Dougie's unprofessional behavior.

Please do not judge the rest of the technical writer's profession by his lack of courtesy, writing ability, nor his (intentionally) abrasive attitude. Most of us are actually rather easy to get along with -- as long as the darn developers remember to comment their code.
    Actually, Richard, I think Dougie was quoting Terie's writing experience while attempting to disparage her and her qualifications as a "professional" writer.
    Twitter - Anaquana

Blog - The End of Nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by Richard White View Post

Richard, if you're talking about this:

... the quote comes from my website.

I'm still trying to figure out how supporting oneself solely from writing income for over 25 years (10 years of which included supporting an artist now-ex-husband who made pretty much no money) doesn't equal 'professional writer'.

Oh, wait. It does.
    Last edited by Terie; 09-03-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Page 94 of 179 FirstFirst ... 19446984888990919293949596979899100104119144169 ... LastLast