bannedbooks

Read a Banned Book

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 81 of 179 FirstFirst ... 63156717576777879808182838485868791106131156 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,025 of 4458

Thread: Authors should really stop telling readers how to give reviews

Purple hair, not prose. VanessaNorth's Avatar

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Shockingly, this one is commercially published. I'm really disappointed in her, as if she'd let down the side.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    Excuse me, but Jesus fucking Christ. I remember my days in fanzines and APAs (amateur press associations, similar to fanzines) where people would look at me funny or question my genetic heritage when I disagreed with the majority (did not, will not, and do not like Star Trek: The Next Generation, but I digress). People would address me like I was a 10 year old with a learning problem or pretty much try to argue me down because I had a dissenting opinion. There is/was no way I can like everything that comes down the pike; many of these people didn't, either, but for some odd reason they would continue to read a particular author's books or watch some TV show ("If you hate it so much, why do you keep watching it?" "Because if I don't, then how are other people going to know how much it sucks?")

This is even lower than that. With the speed and immediacy of teh intarwebz, you can rally the masses even more quickly than before and get the offender shut down in record time. With the print 'zines, you had to wait MONTHS before anything would happen. Nowadays, you can expect somebody to have their reviews and blog pulled within hours.

I'm almost ready to consider interspecies reassignment surgery.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

practical experience, FTW meowzbark's Avatar
    I had an author reply to my 2 star review of his book a couple days ago. Four or five paragraphs explaining why readers shouldn't listen to why I didn't like his book. And, of course, marked it unhelpful.

But I didn't come back at the author. I wrote:

"As I said in my review, it didn't work for me. I don't doubt that others will and have loved your book."

The reviewer/OP deleted several of his responses to the review on Amazon so it is certainly plausible that he did personally attack the author. I'm not saying that authors should respond and definitely family and friends should not, but some of these reviewers do get completely out of line.
    4th Rewrite --> YA Paranormal, 73k words (on hold)
    Final revisions --> Dark Fantasy, 100k words

Twitter| Goodreads

practical experience, FTW Wisteria Vine's Avatar
    The review in question of the Griffin book was not out of line in any way. I'm getting really tired of these thin-skinned authors and their apologists/fanbois crawling out of the woodwork to bash anyone who dares to think their book is not the second coming of the Christ child.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by meowzbark View Post

The reviewer/OP deleted several of his responses to the review on Amazon so it is certainly plausible that he did personally attack the author. I'm not saying that authors should respond and definitely family and friends should not, but some of these reviewers do get completely out of line.
    Where did the reviewer (AvidReader) delete responses? The husband's response was deleted by Amazon, but the original review is still there - I think that makes it pretty clear that the review was fine, but the husband violated the Amazon TOS.

practical experience, FTW meowzbark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcha View Post
    Where did the reviewer (AvidReader) delete responses? The husband's response was deleted by Amazon, but the original review is still there - I think that makes it pretty clear that the review was fine, but the husband violated the Amazon TOS.
    Sorry, upon second glance it's hard to tell who the author is of the deleted posts. There's many deleted posts in response to the review - some by Amazon and some by the author of the posts.

My mistake.
    4th Rewrite --> YA Paranormal, 73k words (on hold)
    Final revisions --> Dark Fantasy, 100k words

Twitter| Goodreads

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    And somebody played the "yore awl jus jelose loosers" card.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

I can't look. Has anyone Godwinned yet?
    Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters.

So Goth That I Was Born Black Kitty27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubastes View Post
    The biggest problem is that she's encouraging this idiocy among her FB fans. It's not the first time, though: when the Something Borrowed film came out, she told her fans that if their husbands/boyfriends won't let them see it, they should e-mail their phone number so she could call them. AND SHE DID.

http://www.facebook.com/somethingbor...85622748154535

Sadly, I do like her books, but this pushes her onto my "don't buy" list.
    Good Lawd.

What in the world is going on here? I always joke with Scarlett about our plans to go absolutely batshit for the world to see one day.

But this-this is something else. I cannot fathom why an author would act like this. Then have the hubby going ham over a review as well. Chile,authors are pressed for no reason. Summoning fans to attack like a group of rabid badgers is equally loony.

It's just a review for a book they bought. Which means no matter what they say,you are PAID. I don't see the point of all of this fuckery and acting like you have no common sense before the entire world. Some authors need their Internet access forcibly removed because they cannot seem to stop showing their behinds.
    Tupac Shakur,the greatest rapper of all time,is now in the National Recording Registry

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/YA Novel Coming 2015.(FINALLY.)
    Chocolate&Coffee are necessary for a happy life.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
    RC Wilcox,RIP

Oh goodness, I am going to kick myself for this tomorrow, but:

I do not think this latest event deserves the same oh-my-goodness-response as the others. To clear things up up front, I have never heard of this author nor have I read her books but this situation does not seem the same to me.

She walked in on her husband talking back to reviewers. At that point the author may not (I am assuming, did not) have known the exact wording of the review. She could only assume the worst because if her husband thought he needed to defend her, then it had to be really bad. Then when she checked back in he told her that everyone was taking his side, so of course she would think the reviewer had been malicious on a horrible level. At that point she went onto facebook to bring the review to the attention of her friends.

Was that a poor choice? Probably. Was it as poor of a choice as we've seen on this thread so far? IMO, definitely not.

Like I said, I don't know this author, I skimmed the comments and blog post, but I am inclined to give this author a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneyd View Post

She walked in on her husband talking back to reviewers. And didn't explain to him that her 'don't respond' rule (which has been mentioned several times in comments, and was her one sensible move) applied to him as well.
    At that point the author may not (I am assuming, did not) have known the exact wording of the review. She could only assume the worst because if her husband thought he needed to defend her, then it had to be really bad. Then when she checked back in he told her that everyone was taking his side, so of course she would think the reviewer had been malicious on a horrible level. At that point she went onto facebook to bring the review to the attention of her friends.

Was that a poor choice? Probably. Was it as poor of a choice as we've seen on this thread so far? IMO, definitely not.

Like I said, I don't know this author, I skimmed the comments and blog post, but I am inclined to give this author a break.
    Everything after hubby shot his mouth off is her just blindly pressing ahead. If you're not going to read reviews, (a sound policy) you can't proceed as though you know what's going on. You certainly don't let loose your dogs based on what you 'assume' and what you might 'think' someone wrote.
    Even if the leader of the pack is the man you love, maybe especially in that case, because he might be letting his feelings for you affect his judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by frimble3 View Post
    Everything after hubby shot his mouth off is her just blindly pressing ahead. If you're not going to read reviews, (a sound policy) you can't proceed as though you know what's going on. You certainly don't let loose your dogs based on what you 'assume' and what you might 'think' someone wrote.
    Even if the leader of the pack is the man you love, maybe especially in that case, because he might be letting his feelings for you affect his judgement.
    And I get this, but, if your loved one had never responded before, you would think that this time had to be really, truly, absolutely horrible. I am not trying to absolve her of her actions, but maybe give a different view.

Avid reader and lover of fiction Lexxie's Avatar
    And I get this, but, if your loved one had never responded before, you would think that this time had to be really, truly, absolutely horrible. I am not trying to absolve her of her actions, but maybe give a different view.
    Even if he had never responded to a review before, I think it is not in very good taste to tell all her fans on Facebook and Twitter that her husband was 'defending' her on a 1 star amazon review. How difficult did she think it would be for her fans to find the review? There were only 5 1 star reviews on amazon at the time.

Then, to make things worse, she did it again for a second 1 star review, where either her husband or a fan must have told her of a reviewer who changed their rating from 4 to 1 based on EG's behavior on FB and Twitter - rallying your fans against another fan is never a good thing to do.
    Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life. ~ Mortimer Adler

practical experience, FTW
    Well as someone pointed it out she did this with another of her books before.
    http://www.facebook.com/somethingbor...85622748154535

Definitely not good behaviour to encourage your husband and other fans to gang up on two fans.

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yayeahyeah View Post
    Are we expecting STGRB to leap onto the Emily Giffin thing, or are they too busy defending Dougie Brimson's Wikipedia page?
    I have had a look at that page a couple of times in the last day or so and noticed that all references made to him and STGRB website get removed pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexxie View Post
    sending husband plus fans after a reviewer is at least as bad as commenting on a negative review herself as if she could pretend now that she had nothing to do with this...
    She's also deleting all comments that don't agree with her actions. Classy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisteria Vine View Post
    The review in question of the Griffin book was not out of line in any way. I'm getting really tired of these thin-skinned authors and their apologists/fanbois crawling out of the woodwork to bash anyone who dares to think their book is not the second coming of the Christ child.
    You know, I agree. It was actually a pretty okay review. The reviewer had liked other books of hers, and said this, and stated why they didn't like this one. As far as I'm concerned that's not a bad review.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty27 View Post
    But this-this is something else. I cannot fathom why an author would act like this. Then have the hubby going ham over a review as well. Chile,authors are pressed for no reason. Summoning fans to attack like a group of rabid badgers is equally loony.
    My husband would NEVER behave like that, and would never condone or congratulate me for bahaving like that either. In fact, he'd be pretty upset with me, and equally, if it were him 'defending my honour' I'd be pretty pissed with him too.

Professional is as professional does.
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

practical experience, FTW Kewii's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaldna View Post
    My husband would NEVER behave like that, and would never condone or congratulate me for bahaving like that either. In fact, he'd be pretty upset with me, and equally, if it were him 'defending my honour' I'd be pretty pissed with him too.

Professional is as professional does.
    Agreed. And even more, I would never have to tell my husband not to do something like that. He's an intelligent guy. He knows better.

And even if I did complain about a review to my husband, I know exactly what he would do. He would calm me down and remind me not everyone has to love everything I do. And it's ok if they don't.

That's why he's my husband.
    “Destroying things is much easier than making them.”-Suzanne Collins

"You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve."
    -J.K Rowling

Brilliantly, even STGRB are criticising Emily Giffin's husband!
    YA Yeah Yeah - Reviews and interviews

YA Contemporary - Showcasing contemporary YA novels

Banned for Trolling
    Quote Originally Posted by yayeahyeah View Post
    Brilliantly, even STGRB are criticising Emily Giffin's husband!

Which means they don't like her for some reason.

yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Amadan View Post
    Which means they don't like her for some reason.
    So, I'm not the only person who thought that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    And on the Dougie Brimson Wikipedia issue please see the following (scroll to the bottom)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ntry_-_changes

Note that his entry is no semi protected, so only registered users can edit/update it. Obviously folks have been editing / deleting about his involvement with the STGRB website, and I know i've seen several changes in that page over the last day or so, so presumably his minions are working overtime to keep his good name.
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

Emily Giffin needs to take some responsibility for egging her fans on:

Corey Ann ‏@coreyann
    .@emilygiffin I hope you are proud of your fans leaving me voicemails saying I should kill myself for my review. Beyond ridiculous.

Corey Ann ‏@coreyann
    Dear Emily Giffin: I love that you think it's my own fault I got threatening voice mails. Keep it classy! http://bit.ly/SrzjCe

Corey Ann is an Amazon Vine user and her review is screencaped on this page http://www.pocketfulofbooks.com/2012...-badly-13.html

From the link Corey Ann posted in one of her tweets.

Giffin absolutely disgusts me. She's got a big fan base (which is decreasing, admittedly) and must have known this wouldn't end well for the reviewers when she was posting links to stuff criticising her books. I hope her publishers are following what's going on.
    YA Yeah Yeah - Reviews and interviews

YA Contemporary - Showcasing contemporary YA novels

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fireluxlou View Post
    Emily Giffin needs to take some responsibility for egging her fans on:

Corey Ann ‏@coreyann
    .@emilygiffin I hope you are proud of your fans leaving me voicemails saying I should kill myself for my review. Beyond ridiculous.

Corey Ann ‏@coreyann
    Dear Emily Giffin: I love that you think it's my own fault I got threatening voice mails. Keep it classy! http://bit.ly/SrzjCe

Corey Ann is an Amazon Vine user and her review is screencaped on this page http://www.pocketfulofbooks.com/2012...-badly-13.html

From the link Corey Ann posted in one of her tweets.

Good grief. She is characterizing the reviewer not pulling her review as somehow "putting fuel to the fire."

That is a classic bullying tactic.

THE EXPLORERS is out now!! Toothpaste's Avatar
    She keeps insisting she hasnt read the review. Well maybe she should and maybe then she would see nothing cruel in it nor any personal attacks. Maybe instead of defending her position through ignorance she should correct hers and her husband's through information.

Page 81 of 179 FirstFirst ... 63156717576777879808182838485868791106131156 ... LastLast