The AW Amazon Store
Absolute Write's Amazon Bookstore

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 79 of 179 FirstFirst ... 42954697374757677787980818283848589104129154 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 4458

Thread: Authors should really stop telling readers how to give reviews

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard. willietheshakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpaste View Post
    Actually google alerts aren't just a vanity project, it's important to know what's out there online about you. Not just as an author, but as a person seeking a job etc. prospective employers google you before hiring you nowadays.

Also I rarely notice when I'm not alerted, only when I am. Now I could see how this could be maddening to some, worrying about what everyone is saying, but it's pretty easy to tell if an alert is worth your time. It's also helpful in knowing if your work is being pirated.

Anyway, slight digression, but there you go.
    Yeah, this.

Quote Originally Posted by jjdebenedictis View Post
    Baaaahhh humbug, it's surprising any writers need to be told to think for themselves. Based on my interactions, it's hard to get most writers to do anything but zoom around madly in their own hyper-drive imaginations, then tell everyone within earshot about their latest bonnet-bee.
    That's really the issue. The review reply thing is strongly worded, because if it's worded as a delicate suggestion, it'll be completely disregarded by authors. After all, they aren't intending to say something mean, they have every right to correct the reader and it'll be fine because it's them. It's always those other authors who says the wrong thing and have it blow up in their face.

The reality is, there isn't a special breed of author who says the wrong thing. We can all be that author.

A lot of authors still disregard it when worded as "never reply", or we wouldn't have this thread, but at least a few might think about why it's strongly worded (and the wording choice isn't because there's a reply police who brainwash people and remove their free will).
    * Polenth *

Website | Blog / Send Review Requests | Twitter
    Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel

practical experience, FTW
    Former football hooligan Dougie Brimson has announced plans to 'name and shame' the Amazon review mafia.

http://dougiebrimson.wordpress.com/2...-wrong-person/
    YA Yeah Yeah - Reviews and interviews

YA Contemporary - Showcasing contemporary YA novels

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yayeahyeah View Post
    Former football hooligan Dougie Brimson has announced plans to 'name and shame' the Amazon review mafia.

http://dougiebrimson.wordpress.com/2...-wrong-person/
    OOOH. I wonder which writing board it was? My bet's on the Kindle Boards.

Edit: he has an account on the Kindle boards which seems to mostly be plugs for his books and requests for people to tag them on Amazon. I didn't notice anything particularly controversial though.
    Last edited by shaldna; 08-16-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by shaldna View Post
    OOOH. I wonder which writing board it was? My bet's on the Kindle Boards.
    I think this is the post he was referring to. (I gave up after reading a few of the replies!)

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle%2...TxAO3OZEOA1NEU

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    Wait -- he's starting with the premise that Amazon reviewers are organized -- with each other.. That they monitor self-published authors and gather at semi-secret bulletin boards to complain about authors about everything from bad grammar to fake reviews.

And then he kicks it up a notch and darkly suggests unspecified "unsavory" activities.

Wow.

Apparently reviewers are not a vast and diverse assortment of interested people from around the world, some of whom have noticed abuses of the reviewing systems on Amazon and elsewhere and, in making their concerns known meet and share notes with likeminded others, but are instead an organized group of trolling bullies.

I think this is the post he was referring to. (I gave up after reading a few of the replies!)

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle%2...TxAO3OZEOA1NEU
    Okay, I read through that whole thread (boy was that a challenge) and the gist of it can be summed up here:

If you get a single negative review it's because the Amazon Mafia are out to get you *insert mustache twirling here*

But yeah, on a serious note - the reason so many self published books get bad reviews is because they are shit.

And not everyone who uses a screen name is 'hiding'- my online identity is very important to me, and it's certainly not something i'm 'hiding' behind. In fact, isn't it just common sense to use a screen name and not put who you are out there for the whole world to see? Hasn't this guy heard of security?

I mean, look at it this way - if I leave a negative review of a book and some butt-hurt author doesn't like it, the worst they can do is bitch about my on-line persona.

But if I used my real name etc, then that person could track me down and do exactly what STGRB are doing to people - ie. bullying them, compromising their personal security etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
    Wait -- he's starting with the premise that Amazon reviewers are organized -- with each other.. That they monitor self-published authors and gather at semi-secret bulletin boards to complain about authors about everything from bad grammar to fake reviews.
    Didn't you know about the Reviewers Club? It's where all the reviewers get together and write nasty reviews of self published books for fun.

And then he kicks it up a notch and darkly suggests unspecified "unsavory" activities.
    Chocolate cake is technically 'unsavory' right?

Apparently reviewers are not a vast and diverse assortment of interested people from around the world, some of whom have noticed abuses of the reviewing systems on Amazon and elsewhere and, in making their concerns known meet and share notes with likeminded others, but are instead an organized group of trolling bullies.
    Clearly not. Reviewers must be mean, like-minded and in some sort of secret society where they leave coordinated negative reviews of books just to stop the author from taking over the world and claiming the millions that are rightfully his on account of him writing the bestest book evuh!!

Because, if that's not the case, then the only other possible answer is that the author didn't write a very good book.

But how likely is that.......

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Oh wait, he's claiming that this is the result of "research" he has done for a screenplay he is working on about trolling.

I wonder if this is a publicity thing.

Also, his understanding of trolling is flawed if he thinks his own "poking people with a sharp stick" to get a reaction is not trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by shaldna View Post
    And not everyone who uses a screen name is 'hiding'- my online identity is very important to me, and it's certainly not something i'm 'hiding' behind. In fact, isn't it just common sense to use a screen name and not put who you are out there for the whole world to see? Hasn't this guy heard of security?
    In the old days, we were constantly told not to put anything personal and identifying on the internet, because you never knew who was reading it. But the latest internet generations have been raised with the concept of fishbowl computing - the idea that people should have a burning desire to put every tiny detail of their lives out on the net. I'd like to blame Facebook and Twitter, but it goes back further than that.

So now instead of privacy being the norm, it's considered sneaky. You must have something to hide. Me, I'd rather be considered suspicious than have some nutcase appear on my doorstep.
    Not doing anything with my life is surprisingly time consuming.

Oh wait, he's claiming that this is the result of "research" he has done for a screenplay he is working on about trolling.

I wonder if this is a publicity thing.

Also, his understanding of trolling is flawed if he thinks his own "poking people with a sharp stick" to get a reaction is not trolling.
    I notice that STGRB have posted about him - in favour of him of course, because trolling isn't trolling if you...well,.....um...if they say so.

Just like bullying isn't bullying when it's done by them.

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieB View Post
    In the old days, we were constantly told not to put anything personal and identifying on the internet, because you never knew who was reading it. But the latest internet generations have been raised with the concept of fishbowl computing - the idea that people should have a burning desire to put every tiny detail of their lives out on the net. I'd like to blame Facebook and Twitter, but it goes back further than that.

So now instead of privacy being the norm, it's considered sneaky. You must have something to hide. Me, I'd rather be considered suspicious than have some nutcase appear on my doorstep.
    True. I'm super careful, but then I grew up with the internet. Kids these days just don't know any different. And there's a sort of naivety about the internet that we didn;t have when we were young (mostly because people in general are suspicious of anything new, and the internet WAS new for us) and kids (and adults who came to it late) don't seem to realise that EVERYONE can see what you write, who you are etc etc. I mean, those photos of a night out that you think you've only shared with a few friends, well the WHOLE WORLD can see them if they choose. And that's scary.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    "I was just doing research" is a square on the Troll Bingo card.

The time and effort he has put into trolling is truly staggering. Some people need hobbies.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Argh - he tweeted me about something someone said yesterday and I responded. I wish I'd realised he was getting involved with the STGRB people, I'd have steered well clear!

USA Today Bestselling Author Jamiekswriter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soccer Mom View Post
    The time and effort he has put into trolling is truly staggering. Some people need hobbies.
    Maybe he should take up writing!

yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiekswriter View Post
    Maybe he should take up writing!
    We need a spit-take smiley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.

Banned for Trolling
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    "I was just doing research" is a square on the Troll Bingo card.

Better known as "IT WAS A SOCIAL EXPERIMENT!"

I'm really surprised STGRB haven't written about any of us here yet, been as we're quite vocal on our disapproval of them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fireluxlou View Post
    I'm really surprised STGRB haven't written about any of us here yet, been as we're quite vocal on our disapproval of them.
    They have, if the comments section of various posts counts.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scarletpeaches View Post
    They have, if the comments section of various posts counts.

I suppose it should, since apparently the posts and the comments are all written by the same person.

Ah right I never go beyond the first page on their website, I never click the posts to see the comments to notice if they have.

In fact, AW actually gets a mention in their "What is a GR Bully" page, which explains about the overlap between GR, the Amazon fora, and this site.

We've been mentioned here this was written today

In fact, AW actually gets a mention in their "What is a GR Bully" page, which explains about the overlap between GR, the Amazon fora, and this site.
    Overlap?

Absolute Write is a site for writers of all kinds, professional, amateur and aspirational, and for nonwriter hangers-on like me who are interested. With the sole unifying interest of such a diverse group being writing, it's not surprising that some members are also active on Goodreads or Amazon, two of the major book-related sites on the internet.

Goodreads hasn't got forums. It has widely scattered, disorganized individual pages, reviews, and book groups, with no central way of finding out anything that's going on. I have seen evidence of some cliques among young-adult fans, but on a site with 10 million members they are hardly a majority.

The Amazon forums make my eyes hurt. I have found them difficult to find, difficult to navigate, difficult to search, and full of people trying to sell their books and other people annoyed by this. Nevertheless, I can understand that to some people they are useful and interesting.

I don't wish to give the STGRB people page hits, but I confess to a slight curiosity as to whether they make this overlap out to be sinister or otherwise surprising.

I don't wish to give the STGRB people page hits, but I confess to a slight curiosity as to whether they make this overlap out to be sinister or otherwise surprising.
    The full quote is "Note: the GR bullies can also be found hanging out on the Amazon fora and the Absolute Write Water Cooler, so beware on these platforms as well."

Quote Originally Posted by fireluxlou View Post
    We've been mentioned here this was written today
    So Melissa Douthit has been outed as the mysterious entity behing STGRB?

She has certainly been diligent in her harassment of amateur reviewers.

Page 79 of 179 FirstFirst ... 42954697374757677787980818283848589104129154 ... LastLast