AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 66 of 179 FirstFirst ... 164156606162636465666768697071727691116141166 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 4458

Thread: Authors should really stop telling readers how to give reviews

practical experience, FTW Wisteria Vine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amadan View Post
    You know, if this guy really is mentally ill, then his meltdown is no longer funny, just sad.
    He claims to be bipolar and his rapid fire blog entries/responses points to that being the case.

However, his 'confusion' about his real age, his attraction to "really young but legal" girls, his using a male model's photo as his own (which explains why that teen blogger was so angry at perhaps being sent his real photo?)...well, that goes above and beyond being mentally ill.

I'm all for having sympathy for someone in a mental health crisis, but the truth that has been uncovered thus far points something more sinister. I hope I'm wrong, but something tells me that he will be featured in the local news in the not too distant future.

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PulpDogg View Post
    I haven't actually - and it wasn't a "hey, so you think you're that good, huh?" kinda statement either. It was an honest question. I just figured, at most people who write negative reviews don't bring it to the authors attention.
    Actually, for online reviews, a lot of less-than-clueful reviewers do exactly that.

AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Wicked chicken AW Moderator evilrooster's Avatar
    More seriously, we don't take posts down just because someone on the internet was offended. And we certainly don't respond to threats of further tantrums if our observations of previous tantrums don't go away.

What comfort I can offer--and this is sincere--is that if someone has been a jerk on the internet, there is no better indictment than their own words, preserved for the future.

Let posterity decide. Let the readers to come determine, going over this conversation, who was just and who unjust; who was mean and who simply right; who was good and who bad. If we are as terrible as he thinks we are, impartial readers will see it in the record, and pass judgment accordingly.
    An excerpt from Bigglethwaite & Windemere's Manual of Proper and Exquisite English on the Capitalisation of Historical Events.

The capitalisation of historical terms is a matter of concern to many writers. The rule, though simple, requires and reveals the writer's judgment, opinions, and preconceptions, and should be applied with care:

1. Matters of absolute importance should be capitalised.
    2. Matters of no wider historical import should have only their proper nouns capitalised.
    3. Matters which the author not only considers insignificant, but wishes had never occurred, should have all words rendered in lower-case.
    4. If the writer looks upon history as a kind of fantastical territory, and wishes to assert either that it is wildly unlikely or highly distorted, all matters that can be considered nouns of any sort should be capitalised

B&W 2:14

I'm living in a silent film ViolettaVane's Avatar
    I have no sympathy for him. Whatever his pathology, he's a man in his late 40s preying on teen girls.

I think either ignoring or ridiculing is probably the best policy. He wants attention, but he wants either positive attention or negative fearful attention ("ooh I'm so scared of him") to affirm his ego.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    SolaceAmes.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Wisteria Vine View Post
    Take down all posts with my name on it or...else! Sounds like he just realized that the Internet is forever.

This also includes all comments pertaining to me from the website "AbsoluteWrite".
    Quote Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
    Is this like Ringu? We have two days till... what? He crawls out of our monitors, hair hanging in front of his face, and rips out our souls?
    The suspense is gonna kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by evilrooster View Post
    More seriously, we don't take posts down just because someone on the internet was offended.
    This.
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.
    Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
    Dude, I am not that flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    Two days, people, two days. If I go back to all of these blogs and websites and see shit still posted with my name in it, I am going back to posting with yours in it. So Autumn, you better take down your facebook discussions on Book Junkies. And Cup and a Latte, take down your shit. All of you, take it down. I have taken mine down. If you really are "The Poor Helpless Victims" here, and not "The Bullies" then you will take it down.

This also includes all comments pertaining to me from the website "AbsoluteWrite".

I AM TAKING MINE DOWN ... NOW TAKE DOWN YOURS. (You have two days)
    CarrollBryant.CarrollBryant.CarrollBryant.

*waits for eyes to start bleeding*
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

Always writing AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolettaVane View Post
    I have no sympathy for him. Whatever his pathology, he's a man in his late 40s preying on teen girls.
    This.

Wicked chicken AW Moderator evilrooster's Avatar
    He's now put up a post saying he's going to walk away from the whole situation, whether or not other people do so as well:

I have a life to go live. Got to do some traveling before the summer slips away from me. Go out and play and drink in some sunshine. Have a great life, and thanks for the memories.
    To which I say, go in good health, mental and physical. An harm it none, do something constructive and joyful.
    An excerpt from Bigglethwaite & Windemere's Manual of Proper and Exquisite English on the Capitalisation of Historical Events.

The capitalisation of historical terms is a matter of concern to many writers. The rule, though simple, requires and reveals the writer's judgment, opinions, and preconceptions, and should be applied with care:

1. Matters of absolute importance should be capitalised.
    2. Matters of no wider historical import should have only their proper nouns capitalised.
    3. Matters which the author not only considers insignificant, but wishes had never occurred, should have all words rendered in lower-case.
    4. If the writer looks upon history as a kind of fantastical territory, and wishes to assert either that it is wildly unlikely or highly distorted, all matters that can be considered nouns of any sort should be capitalised

B&W 2:14

He has changed his blog post about removing posts to something a little less threatening- still, it's too little too late. The damage has been done.

Edit: Ack! The poultry beat me to it!

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

practical experience, FTW Wisteria Vine's Avatar
    To which I say, "Just go already!"

Collector of Precious Secrets Pari Vella's Avatar
    Here's what he claims he looks like:
    https://twitter.com/dearauthor/statu...19693114347520
    Not surprised. At all. Further up in this thread (or possibly culled in the split) there is a link to an 'interview' with that pic included. I called potential shenanigans on it. Validation is delicious. Nom nom nom.

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
    With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me. --Jenny Joseph

A bit of a wallflower absitinvidia's Avatar
    I think it very much depends on the level of formality of the blog whether or not to thank or acknowledge (though commenting is always a bad idea).

Just a quick clarification: My post about thank-yous to reviewers referred to print publications, not blogs. One is wholly private (a private email with a pre-print copy of the review, or even snail mail with a copy); I would not comment on a blog entry or a review posted online.

Banned for Trolling
    Oh, I don't feel much sympathy for him. Being mentally ill is not a license to be an asshole (or a perv).

It's just that engaging someone like that, even to mock them, is a complete waste of time.

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisteria Vine View Post
    He claims to be bipolar and his rapid fire blog entries/responses points to that being the case.
    Would not surprise me in the slightest

However, his 'confusion' about his real age, his attraction to "really young but legal" girls, his using a male model's photo as his own (which explains why that teen blogger was so angry at perhaps being sent his real photo?)...well, that goes above and beyond being mentally ill.
    I had a whole little thing typed out and then thought...perhaps not.

All I will say is that bipolar may be a reason (for some of the behaviour - believing what you say can be a big part of it, even if part of you knows it's not true, the dark half insists it is...) but it is NOT an excuse.

That's all I'm going to say....because this dude is giving a bad name to more than self-pubbers if people latch on to that.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    Could CR have the same complex that Sandusky's lawyers claim. A need to be liked and understood?

Naaaa
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    I AM TAKING MINE DOWN ... NOW TAKE DOWN YOURS. (You have two days)
    This guy is not a mod here. He doesn't get to make demands. He doesn't get to set deadlines. He doesn't get to yell at us.

No matter how much he wants all evidence of his bad behavior to vanish from the 'Net ... it won't.

What a desolation. Alexandra Little's Avatar
    Los Angeles, but my heart belongs to London
    He deleted that post too.

Winter's Crown - a YA fantasy novel now available for purchase - Kindle US - Kindle UK - Kindle Canada

The Obligatory Website.

The Obligatory Twitter.

1. Jesus, Carroll, shut up already. Please. NOBODY HERE CARES WHAT YOU DO. We're done talking about you. We've been done. We'd moved on. Seriously. Stop jumping up and down waving your hands and shouting "Look at me! Look at ME!"

We don't care. We didn't care about you the day before this happened and we don't now.

Which, btw, was pretty much exactly what I told you was going to happen:

2. My guess is this "How dare you speak my name! I have the right to tell strangers whether or not they can discuss my own desperate pleas for attention and the vile way I prey on teenage girls with fake pictures and lies about my age and everything else" thing has come from the above being proven right. I.e. he kept saying "We'll see what the numbers are on Monday," "Wait till we see those numbers on Monday!" and rubbing his hands together, salivating about the millions of sales he imagined he was getting (as evinced above with the "You've made him FAMOUS" crap, which he perpetuated repeatedly. How many times did he tell us this was all his PLAN because now everyone knows who he is blah blah blah).

Well, it's Monday, and from what I can tell his Amazon rankings have moved barely an iota. If that. His little tantrum didn't sell thousands of copies. I'd be shocked if it sold one.

Now that he realizes he did not in fact just make himself a STAH! A GIANT SHINY STAAAAH!!, the way he obviously thought he was doing, he's going to threaten everyone because how dare they have given him the attention he craved but not actually have fallen for his thinly-veiled "I'ma get me some of that internet scandal money" scheme and bought his poorly written, dull little books.

Also, every time I see that "Children of the Flower Power" title, I think of Spinal Tap singing "Listen...to What the Flower People Say," which means I have had that song in my head for four days now and it's starting to make me cranky.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

I notice that STGRB website has a new post - apparently one of their members contacted Goodreads about the bahaviour on other websites etc of 'bullies' and how they were 'concerned' about Goodreads name being tarnished - when they didn't get the OMFG-how awful-we-must-act-now response they wanted, they declared that Goodreads doesn't care.

Their 15 minutes are nearly up anyway. Sometimes I wonder whether they fear obscurity even more than "bullying" GR reviews.

On a small world west of wonder LindaJeanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubastes View Post
    Their 15 minutes are nearly up anyway. Sometimes I wonder whether they fear obscurity even more than "bullying" GR reviews.
    I don't just "wonder"; I'm fully convinced it's the case.
    "A story told, that can't be real / yet somehow must reflect the truth we feel..." -- Black Sabbath / Ronnie James Dio

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaldna View Post
    ... on other websites etc of 'bullies' and how they were 'concerned' about Goodreads name being tarnished - when they didn't get the OMFG-how awful-we-must-act-now response they wanted, they declared that Goodreads doesn't care.
    Goodreads should find out who this STGRB person is and delete her account. The only person tarnishing GR's image is her.

What really offends me is that the Huffington Post gave this clown a platform. Anyone who'd been on the Web more than fifteen minutes could take one glance at STGRB and instantly identify it as a hate site that advocates violence against women.

On a small world west of wonder LindaJeanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    What really offends me is that the Huffington Post gave this clown a platform. Anyone who'd been on the Web more than fifteen minutes could take one glance at STGRB and instantly identify it as a hate site that advocates violence against women.
    Yeah, that was the final nail in the coffin for my opinion of HuffPo (which had been falling for quite a while.)
    "A story told, that can't be real / yet somehow must reflect the truth we feel..." -- Black Sabbath / Ronnie James Dio

Whatever I did, I didn't do it. Phaeal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
    Also, every time I see that "Children of the Flower Power" title, I think of Spinal Tap singing "Listen...to What the Flower People Say," which means I have had that song in my head for four days now and it's starting to make me cranky.
    Ooooh, you so lucky! Spinal Tap are teh ROXXOR!

SUMM0NED (T0R, available NOW!) Real magic becomes real trouble when Sean summons the wrong familiar.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
    I could probably quote a different song that will get that one out of your head Stacia (it's guaranteed to work on any song)... but then you'd probably hate me since the song is even more annoying than Spinal Tap.

Page 66 of 179 FirstFirst ... 164156606162636465666768697071727691116141166 ... LastLast