AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 61 of 179 FirstFirst ... 113651555657585960616263646566677186111136161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 4458

Thread: Authors should really stop telling readers how to give reviews

Quote Originally Posted by evilrooster View Post
    He's now posted an explanation of why he did it. It's about as well-written and clearly thought out as its predecessor.
    Well, Katy (comment 3) is clearly a sock-puppet. I guess he forgot to log off as her and back on as himself. Also forgot he started out talking as if he were Katy addressing himself then slipped into ranting more about himself. Oops!

Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesn’t equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog

yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by aruna View Post
    THE LIST is up.

ttp://carrollbryant.blogspot.mx/2012/07/the-list.html
    Now this girl and all of her "crew" are posting all kinds of junk posts and emails and what not about me. Do they realize that I do not care? The reason I do not care is because I know it's not true. Not in the context of what they would like you to believe. But hey, if they are talking about me then great! Even if what they say is horrible and fowl. It doesn't bother me.
    I DON'T CARE. THIS IS ME, GUYS, TOTALLY NOT CARING. LET ME SHOW YOU JUST HOW MUCH I DON'T CARE BY NOT CARING. I, IN NO WAY, CARE. AT ALL. NOPE. NO CARING HERE. THERE IS NOT A SINGLE THING HERE THAT INDICATES I CARE. CARING, NOT FOUND HERE.

Talk about the shell being cracked off the nut....
    Last edited by AW Admin; 07-23-2012 at 02:42 AM. Reason: No traffic for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Terie View Post
    Well, Katy (comment 3) is clearly a sock-puppet. I guess he forgot to log off as her and back on as himself. Also forgot he started out talking as if he were Katy addressing himself then slipped into ranting more about himself. Oops!

I don't think this particular user is a sock puppet. I think she's a friend of his. Her profile seems legit. She has a lot of GR activity and hasn't got the blatant sock-puppet "tells."

Some of his supporters are very likely sock puppets. But I think this is a real person. Even people like CB can have friends willing to stick up for them.

One has to be very careful not to let annoyance and cynicism get in the way.

CB has changed the data on the blog post that stated his age, from 49 to 36. Someone has a screen shot of the original blog post (message #548 on this page).

Frankly, his citing "The A-Team" in his excuses post convinces me that he's really 49. Who under the age of 40 would do that?

Although even a 36-year-old with such an obsession with teenage girls is ooky.

On a small world west of wonder LindaJeanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evilrooster View Post
    It's possible that he's going to learn, in the most painful and cringe-inducing way.
    We've got a guy in his late forties, who writes self-published novels about "forbidden love affairs" with teenage girls, launching vicious online vendetta against a teenage girl who's only "crime" seems to be (wisely) not wanting to have anything to do with him (and who, from what I've seen, has been handling herself beautifully through all this).

If I were him, (or someone who cared about him) it's not the trolls I'd be worried about. He's going to be attracting some very close scrutiny.

I just hope his obvious break with reality doesn't result in physical violence. (This guy is clearly having some sort of psychotic break, and even if no one involved in this clusterfsck is geographically close to him, I imagine he's not entirely happy with everyone he encounters on a day-to-day basis, either.)

Edited to add: Someone mentioned there's a connection between him and the SGRB site. Do we know if anyone else is involved? Is there any chance he's the primary/only person behind SGRB as well? Or is that just wishful thinking in trying to reduce the number of unhinged people we've been hearing about?
    Last edited by LindaJeanne; 07-22-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    "A story told, that can't be real / yet somehow must reflect the truth we feel..." -- Black Sabbath / Ronnie James Dio

I really wish the Goodreads admins would deal with this. Sorry if complaining about another site is outré, but this is getting ridiculous.

CB has deleted his original, threatening post and all its comments, but has apparently posted his lists of Underage Girl Bloggers Who Done Me Wrong and another dense, rambling clarification of why he did it. (To sum: He knew his thirty-years-younger teenage Nemesis and her evil circle of co-conspirators would make him look bad, but All Publicity is Good Publicity and he is very clever, you see.)

There is a comment on the linked page that says some things clearly, #71 by GR member "bookindulgence." Mr. Bryant is in the habit of summarily deleting unflattering comments, so I quote it here:

I hope people don’t still believe that this issue is simply about bloggers who requested his book and didn’t review. If you, Carroll, had left the The List is Coming post up everyone would know that.

The teenager that you accuse of first backing out of the review you admitted that you flew out to Mexico to see her. We saw in the email you sent her that you called her a cunt whore, told her to kill herself, told her to choke on a man’s C@#$, told her you would see her in hell. When the email was posted you did not deny it, instead, you stated that people are taking it out of context. Umm Ok, in what context should I take that?

The blogger from a cupcake& a latte stated that she has no idea who you are, and didn’t promise you a review.

Stop telling people Archer told you to kill yourself. That is a lie, he quoted the email of you telling that teenager to kill herself. If you don’t understand what a quote is then maybe you shouldn’t be writing.
    You are not being bullied. You are trying to gain attention and manipulate other authors into joining your crusade by posting misleading and deceitful information. Tell the truth about what happened and why the review didn’t take place.
    EDIT: CB's comments also continue to be illuminating as to his character and thought processes. When a nearly fifty-year-old man says "18 is legal," it is creepy.
    Last edited by Alessandra Kelley; 07-22-2012 at 06:42 PM.

What a desolation. Alexandra Little's Avatar
    Los Angeles, but my heart belongs to London
    I heard GR admins aren't around the weekends? So maybe tomorrow will bring on some action.

His non-GR blog is disturbing, at least when it comes to posting about women.

Winter's Crown - a YA fantasy novel now available for purchase - Kindle US - Kindle UK - Kindle Canada

The Obligatory Website.

The Obligatory Twitter.

Wow.

I find him disgusting and disturbing.

But I do enjoy his claim that he "already tunred[sic] down a traditional publisher this year."

Dude, I read your Look Insides on Amazon.

No, you didn't. Not unless is was everybody's favorite "Traditional Publisher," at least. You and the craft of writing are not friends.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Quote Originally Posted by LindaJeanne View Post
    Edited to add: Someone mentioned there's a connection between him and the SGRB site. Do we know if anyone else is involved? Is there any chance he's the primary/only person behind SGRB as well? Or is that just wishful thinking in trying to reduce the number of unhinged people we've been hearing about?
    CB has deleted the entire thread where that post appeared, but I remember it. Someone mentioned SGRB and he casually said, more or less: oh that, I was a part of that early on but I left. Then he went on to make other arguments. It was completely an aside.

To be honest, it sounded to me like the sort of thing said reflexively by habitually dishonest people who are used to throwing out unverifiable associations in order to impress. I'm not even sure he understood which web site was being referred to. I think it was mere bragging.

My impression (and that's only what it is) is that SGRB is the work of one person or a small group of friends, probably all female.

CB strikes me as the sort of person who would consider himself the center of importance of anything he is involved in. I am pretty sure that if he had ever been a part of SGRB, there would have been an attack somewhere on the girl he has targeted.

So, in my opinion (but I am so not an expert, just nosy, a little experienced, a mother, and having known someone very like CB), no, he was probably not actually involved with SGRB.

In his new GR thread he's claimed that he's apologized "millions of times" already to a couple of specific individuals, one of whom he's blocked so that person can't answer for themselves.

Winter's Crown - a YA fantasy novel now available for purchase - Kindle US - Kindle UK - Kindle Canada

The Obligatory Website.

The Obligatory Twitter.

He also claimed repeatedly that his blog gets 1000 views a day, but in comments now he says:

I never even mentioned my books or my music. So how that blog got over 25,000 viws is beyond me. I didn't breathe a word of that blog. (My last blog before that got 5 views in its first month)

Notice he also admits outright that the review didn't happen because his relationship with the girl went sour.

Thus proving once again that this has NOTHING to do with some moral stance about bloggers taking free books and not reviewing them. This is "Waaaaaah teenagers were not nice to me!"
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"Many girls mistake my desire to be friends as something else."

Wait, what?

The Obligatory Website.

The Obligatory Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra Little View Post

Wait, what?
    Yeah...looks like my initial discomfort with him, when he was only acting like a bitter author, was well-founded.

editing in:

bookindulgence said in message 71:

The teenager that you accuse of first backing out of the review you admitted that you flew out to Mexico to see her. We saw in the email you sent her that you called her a cunt whore, told her to kill herself, told her to choke on a man’s C@#$, told her you would see her in hell. When the email was posted you did not deny it, instead, you stated that people are taking it out of context. Umm Ok, in what context should I take that?
    What? WHAT?!

I wonder if anyone out there is screencapping like mad now considering he's already deleted one post and has gone on record he will be deleting this one.
    Last edited by bearilou; 07-22-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra Little View Post

Wait, what?
    Ew. That sounds like the typical excuse-mongering of predators.

He seems to have some self-image issues. He tries to surround himself with adoring underage girls. His Goodreads avatar, assuming it is him, is a glamour shot that is probably not terribly recent, given that he's 49. A Goodreads user has posted a quote he made on his blog (I Googled it -- yes, he did): "I wanted her to like me for me and nothing else. Not because I have blonde hair or blue eyes to die in or because I can write songs, poems and books … just like me for me."

practical experience, FTW Wisteria Vine's Avatar
    If you read his journal pages on his blog (and I feel a little bit dirty after doing so), you'll see that he is mentally ill. He talks about anti-psychotic meds, being in a facility, etc. You'll also see that Jennifer is his girlfriend and that he's been going through a lot in his romantic life.

So it seems he got too attached to this teen blogger, she reacted as many teens do to full-on craziness, and cut ties. He went off the deep end about it and is now running back to Jennifer (who should run fast and far away from him).

He's just spiraling down now. You can see it in his utterly inappropriate and nonsensical reactions on his blog to even the simplest comments. He's a trainwreck of epic proportions and I can only hope that the females in his life see that and get as far away from him as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post

I just had a peek.
    OUT NOW!
    The Lost Daughter of India
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Sons of Gods -- the Mahabharata

Website
    Facebook

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Wisteria Vine View Post
    If you read his journal pages on his blog (and I feel a little bit dirty after doing so), you'll see that he is mentally ill. He talks about anti-psychotic meds, being in a facility, etc. You'll also see that Jennifer is his girlfriend and that he's been going through a lot in his romantic life.

So it seems he got too attached to this teen blogger, she reacted as many teens do to full-on craziness, and cut ties. He went off the deep end about it and is now running back to Jennifer (who should run fast and far away from him).

He's just spiraling down now. You can see it in his utterly inappropriate and nonsensical reactions on his blog to even the simplest comments. He's a trainwreck of epic proportions and I can only hope that the females in his life see that and get as far away from him as possible.
    Do you think Jennifer is real? Her profile and activity on Goodreads look like a sock puppet to me. Then again, it is not unheard-of for people to get crazy-attached to even people as off balance as CB.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    And his original post at Goodreads has been deleted.
    As a disclaimer, I just woke up and am in a medicated daze, so this is might seem a bit loopy.

I'm going to assume that no one saw what happened on the blogpost last night, because everyone here seems to go to bed early, but if you can imagine this, things got even weirder. Some people posted the original note he sent to the girl, and other paraphrased it, calling him out for telling a teenage girl to ''kill herself.'' He instead interpreted this as people threatening to kill him, so started offering to give people his address so they could come over to his house to get an ''ass-beating.'' When people pointed out no one had said that, he started whining why everyone was being mean to him and why don't they just leave him alone, to which people responded that it's because he'd been harassing underage girls and that wasn't something that was just going to be let go.

Eventually, after more fighting/threats/etc. he claimed that he would only delete the thread if everyone who had posted would delete their comments. Everyone said they didn't care if he deleted it or not, and someone said it was just a way for him to avoid taking responsibility for his own words, and thus it got deleted.
    ♂♥♂

Quote Originally Posted by aruna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post

I just had a peek.
    I, um...

...yeah.

Ugh, I feel oogy now for posting the link that started this cluster a few days ago. I feel like I need a really hot shower. And a Brillo pad.

On a small world west of wonder LindaJeanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
    Someone mentioned SGRB and he casually said, more or less: oh that, I was a part of that early on but I left. Then he went on to make other arguments. It was completely an aside.

To be honest, it sounded to me like the sort of thing said reflexively by habitually dishonest people who are used to throwing out unverifiable associations in order to impress.
    Ah, thanks for the info. I've done VERY little looking at the linked-to threads (just enough to see that "yup, it really is that bad. I'm getting out of here."), so I didn't know the context in which the "connection" had been made.

I feel so sorry for this girl -- how scary it must be to have someone that unhinged and creepy that obsessed with you.
    "A story told, that can't be real / yet somehow must reflect the truth we feel..." -- Black Sabbath / Ronnie James Dio

Quote Originally Posted by Bubastes View Post
    Ugh, I feel oogy now for posting the link that started this cluster a few days ago. I feel like I need a really hot shower. And a Brillo pad.
    Don't feel oogy! It was a trainwreck that seemed to gain momentum after crashing.

Other than the minor blip of the off-her-nut Jenniferperson, it's been a great weekend filler to watch the implosion, with a heavy dose of self-realization to never, ever, ever react this way. It can only end in tears and a tattered reputation.

The internet has a long memory.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaJeanne View Post
    Ah, thanks for the info. I've done VERY little looking at the linked-to threads (just enough to see that "yup, it really is that bad. I'm getting out of here."), so I didn't know the context in which the "connection" had been made.

I feel so sorry for this girl -- how scary it must be to have someone that unhinged and creepy that obsessed with you.
    I'm sorry for her too. She has acted with class and dignity and gotten a lot of sympathy, from friends and strangers alike. At least now people can see CB's actions clearly for what they are. Thank goodness for the internet, screen captures, and Google cacheing.

Did she say if she was going to take any action against him?

The Obligatory Website.

The Obligatory Twitter.

Page 61 of 179 FirstFirst ... 113651555657585960616263646566677186111136161 ... LastLast