Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 60 of 179 FirstFirst ... 103550545556575859606162636465667085110135160 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 4458

Thread: Authors should really stop telling readers how to give reviews

A bit of a wallflower absitinvidia's Avatar
    And it should come as no surprise that there are mass deletions of comments from the Goodreads thread, along with his threat to go nuclear. Clearly, however much help this guy's therapist has been, she's not nearly enough for him.

Don't let your deal go down, Dave Hardy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosTitan View Post
    Why?

I'm honestly asking. Thousands (if not millions) of people use Goodreads every day without a single bit of drama. It can be a good way to interact with readers and reviewers, and it's useful for organizing my virtual bookshelf.

Just because one apartment building is infested with cockroaches doesn't mean the entire city needs to be condemned.
    I read a ttp://tonyakappes.blogspot.com/2012/07/tricks-to-using-goodreads.html blog post citing 5 million users. I have no idea if that's correct, but if it were inflated by a factor of say a 100 (a mere 50k), it would rank as quite drama free.

If it really is 5 mil, well that's more people than live in Moldova.
    Last edited by AW Admin; 07-23-2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: No traffic for you!
    In the words of Hasan i-Sabah: Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hardy View Post
    I read a blog post citing 5 million users. I have no idea if that's correct, but if it were inflated by a factor of say a 100 (a mere 50k), it would rank as quite drama free.

If GR really has that many members, they seriously, SERIOUSLY need to start staffing the place on weekends. Because it's just stupid, the things people do knowing nobody is there to do anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hardy View Post
    I read a blog post citing 5 million users. I have no idea if that's correct, but if it were inflated by a factor of say a 100 (a mere 50k), it would rank as quite drama free.

According to the GoodReads panel from BEA, that's about half their user count:

http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/...bea-day-1.html

The first panel was about GoodReads. I don't know much about GoodReads so I figured I'd stop in and learn a few things.

The presenter was Patrick Brown, Community Manager and Author Program Manager. Here are some of the things he told us:

GoodReads has 9 million users; it's the world's largest site for book reviews and recommendations. (when asked in the Q&A who he saw as GR's competition: Facebook and Amazon)

Half of active GoodReads users cross post to FaceBook

GoodReads reviews are syndicated to Google, Powells, USA Today, and places like the LA Public Library

needed a good laugh today Anaquana's Avatar
    Ho-lee Shite! That thread blew up with some major crazy cakes in the last couple of hours. I can only hope he finds a good therapist who can help him work through his rage issues because WOW. They may only be words on the page, but that anger of his shines through loud and clear.
    Twitter - Anaquana

Blog - The End of Nowhere

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar

It would appear (read the comments, starting with #373) that the girl blogger under attack by CB, the guy who plans to wrathfully out "swindlers," has spoken out.

She is currently 18, but was 17 when it happened. He is 48, but was claiming to be in his 30s, she says.

I can't quote much on this darn phone, but just have a look. (Hmm. It looks like her Photobucket screenshots of abuse have been deleted...)

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post

It would appear (read the comments, starting with #373) that the girl blogger under attack by CB, the guy who plans to wrathfully out "swindlers," has spoken out.

She is currently 18, but was 17 when it happened. He is 48, but was claiming to be in his 30s, she says.

I can't quote much on this darn phone, but just have a look. (Hmm. It looks like her Photobucket screenshots of abuse have been deleted...)

I have to say, I believe her. From what I've been reading (in his blog and his GR account--meaning his own words), he is mentally ill, likes teenage girls, and has major problems with boundaries and appropriate behavior. I've not commented at all on the GR thread and I don't plan to. This guy needs help, and I don't say that dismissively.

Inconsequential. Also: short. TumbleHome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post

She is currently 18, but was 17 when it happened. He is 48, but was claiming to b

e in his 30s, she says.

To say my skin is crawling is an understatement. Not only is that disgusting and manipulative to say the LEAST, but going public online to turn the non-adult into the "bad guy"... I don't like to throw the word "sociopath" but I did just type it and I feel sick after reading all that.

needed a good laugh today Anaquana's Avatar
    It would appear that he's going through and mass deleting comments. The last I checked there were over 600 comments there and now there are fewer than 550.
    Twitter - Anaquana

Blog - The End of Nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by frimble3 View Post
    I have never been so pleased with, and grateful to, the AW site and the fine Moderators here. I cannot imagine this nonsense carrying on here, once the Admins caught wind of it. Ban-hammers coming down would sound like 'The Anvil Chorus'.
    Yup.
    Gone Fishin' (February 25, 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by absitinvidia View Post
    I have to say, I believe her. From what I've been reading (in his blog and his GR account--meaning his own words), he is mentally ill, likes teenage girls, and has major problems with boundaries and appropriate behavior. I've not commented at all on the GR thread and I don't plan to. This guy needs help, and I don't say that dismissively.
    IAWTC. He made my creeper-radar go off with the first post. I would say it's a good thing that he pretty much wears his insanity on his sleeve, but I get the sense that he pretty much preys on the vulnerable.
    ♂♥♂

On a small world west of wonder LindaJeanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Macabre View Post
    IAWTC. He made my creeper-radar go off with the first post. I would say it's a good thing that he pretty much wears his insanity on his sleeve, but I get the sense that he pretty much preys on the vulnerable.
    Yup. This guy is sending up red flags left and right. SCARY red flags.
    "A story told, that can't be real / yet somehow must reflect the truth we feel..." -- Black Sabbath / Ronnie James Dio

THE LIST is up.

ttp://carrollbryant.blogspot.mx/2012/07/the-list.html
    Last edited by AW Admin; 07-23-2012 at 02:46 AM. Reason: No traffic for you!
    OUT NOW!
    The Lost Daughter of India
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Sons of Gods -- the Mahabharata

Website
    Facebook

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    And his original post at Goodreads has been deleted.

Also, all the comments on his blog following his posting of "the List"! All there is at the time of posting is a comment from HIM "thanking" the commenters... who were, um, let's say, not very supportive. Apparently quite a few of the bloggers on his list only review trade-published books. Plus, he got the name of the original teen's blog wrong. I think he was drunk when he posted...
    OUT NOW!
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Website
    Facebook

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
    Not reading the thread. There's enough shite in my RL. However, whether this is his blog or on GR, does anyone know if he's been reported to the site that hosts his blog, or to GR's owners? This is crossing so many boundaries.
    I know that I have been reporting everything that I come across - both at GR and other blog sites that are inappropriate and threatening. I think others should do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by aruna View Post
    THE LIST is up.

ttp://carrollbryant.blogspot.mx/2012/07/the-list.htm
    Is that it? THIS is his almightly list of marks? Jesus, the guy needs to get a fucking life and stop obsessing over a handful of small fry websites that didn't want to review his books. He is all kinds of crazy, and not doing his own reputation any favours.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    And his original post at Goodreads has been deleted.
    This is my surprised face 0_0
    Last edited by AW Admin; 07-23-2012 at 02:47 AM. Reason: No traffic for you!
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

Oh good grief.
    He's posted a long comment on his blog, whining about what she did to him. A teenage girl, for crying out loud! On a bloody blog! You'd think the sky was falling. Talk about some people never growing up, or older people having more wisdom! This guy is 49 and he's behaving like a baby in a pram. Attention seeking at the highest level; and he really thinks the world is watching! Now he's claiming he planned it all this way, inclduing the backlash against himeself.

The way I see it, if you are going to do things in private against me, and on a small scale, then why not have her do it on a much larger one instead? You know, just lay it all out there. And that is what I did. And I knew she was going to send her "army" after me. I knew they were going to make a big stink. I knew they were going to rip me apart tooth and nail. I decided to let them do it, but only on my terms.

I had no idea that in the end, I would get so much attention from it. I knew it would be big, but not this big. They far exceded any expectations I had going in. But ultimately, I got what I wanted out of it. i got her to do what she was already doing behind back, and pretty much urged her to do it on a much larger scale. I just didn't know that the scale was going to be this large. LOL
    Last edited by aruna; 07-22-2012 at 12:57 PM.
    OUT NOW!
    Amazon UK:

Amazon US:

Website
    Facebook

~ Rumi

'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    He's...not really on friendly or familiar terms with the English language, looking at his text.

Good grief.

practical experience, FTW Silver-Midnight's Avatar
    rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
    Something tells me the backlash of this isn't over in the slightest.

And I know this is probably my millionth time saying this, but I'm shocked he actually posted that.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    When I first looked at The List blog post there were eight or nine comments on it, mostly reasonable. They've all been deleted now, and replaced with two comments from the blogger himself. I doubt any comments which disagree with him will remain for long.

The way I see it, if you are going to do things in private against me, and on a small scale, then why not have her do it on a much larger one instead? You know, just lay it all out there. And that is what I did. And I knew she was going to send her "army" after me. I knew they were going to make a big stink. I knew they were going to rip me apart tooth and nail. I decided to let them do it, but only on my terms.

I had no idea that in the end, I would get so much attention from it. I knew it would be big, but not this big. They far exceded any expectations I had going in. But ultimately, I got what I wanted out of it. i got her to do what she was already doing behind back, and pretty much urged her to do it on a much larger scale. I just didn't know that the scale was going to be this large. LOL
    He keeps saying 'large' and 'big'. I do not think those words mean what he thinks they do. Just sayin'.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesnít equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog

Wicked chicken AW Moderator evilrooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Terie View Post
    He keeps saying 'large' and 'big'. I do not think those words mean what he thinks they do. Just sayin'.
    It's possible that he's going to learn, in the most painful and cringe-inducing way.

At the moment, most of the people interacting with him are trying to talk him down, one way or another. (The quantity and persistence of such people astonishes me, in a good way.) Even Will's comment was constructive, useful advice (not that I agreed with all of it, or the narrative that underlies it).

But if this lasts much longer, the drama llamas, lulzors and trolls will come. They'll make it big, in a way that makes all decent people look frightful by association.

(On the other hand, maybe not. He is, after all, male, and a substantial portion of the llamas, lulzors and trolls reserve their venom for women who step out of line.)
    An excerpt from Bigglethwaite & Windemere's Manual of Proper and Exquisite English on the Capitalisation of Historical Events.

The capitalisation of historical terms is a matter of concern to many writers. The rule, though simple, requires and reveals the writer's judgment, opinions, and preconceptions, and should be applied with care:

1. Matters of absolute importance should be capitalised.
    2. Matters of no wider historical import should have only their proper nouns capitalised.
    3. Matters which the author not only considers insignificant, but wishes had never occurred, should have all words rendered in lower-case.
    4. If the writer looks upon history as a kind of fantastical territory, and wishes to assert either that it is wildly unlikely or highly distorted, all matters that can be considered nouns of any sort should be capitalised

B&W 2:14

What a desolation. Alexandra Little's Avatar
    Los Angeles, but my heart belongs to London
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    When I first looked at The List blog post there were eight or nine comments on it, mostly reasonable. They've all been deleted now, and replaced with two comments from the blogger himself. I doubt any comments which disagree with him will remain for long.
    The Cupcake and a Latte blog he mentions has screen caps of some deleted comments.

Winter's Crown - a YA fantasy novel now available for purchase - Kindle US - Kindle UK - Kindle Canada

The Obligatory Website.

The Obligatory Twitter.

Wicked chicken AW Moderator evilrooster's Avatar
    He's now posted an ttp://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/2747760-the-aftermath-explanation explanation of why he did it. It's about as well-written and clearly thought out as its predecessor.

The comments to said 'explanation' look...gardened. And I continue to wonder if Jennifer can type while Carroll is cracking his knuckles, if you know what I mean.

(can't...look...away...)
    Last edited by evilrooster; 07-23-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: No traffic for you!
    An excerpt from Bigglethwaite & Windemere's Manual of Proper and Exquisite English on the Capitalisation of Historical Events.

The capitalisation of historical terms is a matter of concern to many writers. The rule, though simple, requires and reveals the writer's judgment, opinions, and preconceptions, and should be applied with care:

1. Matters of absolute importance should be capitalised.
    2. Matters of no wider historical import should have only their proper nouns capitalised.
    3. Matters which the author not only considers insignificant, but wishes had never occurred, should have all words rendered in lower-case.
    4. If the writer looks upon history as a kind of fantastical territory, and wishes to assert either that it is wildly unlikely or highly distorted, all matters that can be considered nouns of any sort should be capitalised

B&W 2:14

practical experience, FTW Jupiter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAllister View Post
    He's...not really on friendly or familiar terms with the English language, looking at his text.

Good grief.
    I had a look at the sample of one of his books on Amazon. It was...distasteful morally dubious unusual. It was interestingly edited too.

Page 60 of 179 FirstFirst ... 103550545556575859606162636465667085110135160 ... LastLast