Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 58 of 179 FirstFirst ... 83348525354555657585960616263646883108133158 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 4458

Thread: Authors should really stop telling readers how to give reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
    Once again, no response for Stacia. Poor, poor Stacia.

I don't think any sane, rational people are getting responses on that thread... but definitely good on you for trying.

I just read through all that. My bad. The jaw-drop smiley is horribly insufficient.

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    Are sure you want one?

So, not having several hours to pour down the drain, can this be summed up thusly?

Author behaves like a dick towards teenaged girls. A fairly creepy one - because I can think of the sort of adult man who sends fake pictures to teens he's met on the internet -, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he's just clueless, and we'll stick with the dick part.
    Teenaged girls behave like...er...well, like most people would when confronted with a dickhead - avoid him and warn friends about him. (And frankly, if an author was a dick to me, I sure as shit wouldn't review his book. Or at least not nicely . He probably got off lightly here.)
    And he outted her for this (at some point? He says he did...)
    Author then has a tantrum because people he was dicks to aren't playing nicely? What did he expect? Flowers?

Am I missing something here? Because that's kind of 3 +1 = eleventy bajillion.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotsRUs View Post
    I think that covers it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    That's kind of good, because I thought maybe my brain had exploded.

But it's a lot more 'Holy clusterfuck, Batman'

Yes, I think clusterfuck is the word of the month. Everyone is trying to make me say it. It's the only explanation.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

On a small world west of wonder LindaJeanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bearilou View Post
    Tucked away in the comments starting on page two. It's early in the am for me and I haven't been back to see how much this has exploded since last night.

edited: Look specifically to posts 66 and 84 on page two of the goodreads link.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, here. But: unless you are a teenager yourself, there is only ONE correct answer to a teenager expressing any sort of "interest" in you. And that correct answer is NOT "play head games with them".

Edited to add: I hadn't looked at the thread yet when I wrote this, but I decided since I commented, I should check to verify for myself -- (actually, should have done so before commenting). For those following along at home, damning post 84 was writtn by a friend of Carroll's. Thus, it is important to also point out post 91 on that page, where Carroll confirms the story.
    Last edited by LindaJeanne; 07-21-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    "A story told, that can't be real / yet somehow must reflect the truth we feel..." -- Black Sabbath / Ronnie James Dio

Yes, I think clusterfuck is the word of the month. Everyone is trying to make me say it. It's the only explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaJeanne View Post
    I know I'm preaching to the choir, here. But: unless you are a teenager yourself, there is only ONE correct answer to a teenager expressing any sort of "interest" in you. And that correct answer is NOT "play head games with them".
    I think these quotes pretty much sum this mess up.

*adding "clusterfuck" to vocabulary*
    BookStrand Amazon Blog Twitter AW Library

Current Projects:
    Tangled (Shifter Sanctuary 3) - Available Now!
    Blue Lightning (Panther Key 4)
    Saltwater Insanity

What a desolation. Alexandra Little's Avatar
    Los Angeles, but my heart belongs to London
    I was trying to figure out how to describe this situation, and clusterfuck sums it up nicely.

Winter's Crown - a YA fantasy novel now available for purchase - Kindle US - Kindle UK - Kindle Canada

The Obligatory Website.

The Obligatory Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by bearilou View Post
    Is this about a young blogger or a YA adult blogger who reacted poorly to his 'prank' or not?
    He does admit that she's the ''one that started it,'' despite claiming otherwise. The quote's on my post on the page before this.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaJeanne View Post
    Yep, exactly what I've said from the start. He's majorly creeping to say that least...

Suggestive that Jennifer is a sockpuppet(from various posts):
    Carroll went to bed to the best of my knowledge. I always get up early. You would have to know me to know that...I don't believe Carroll will delete it... That would have made more sense to do it six months ago when he wasn't selling any books and before he started his blog. He assumed the back-lash, but did it anyway...I know this Belle because I used to be engaged to him. I also have access to his blog...
    He's basically speaking through her, and the only books she's rated? Yep, Caroll's books.
    ♂♥♂

I write novels
    Oh dear ghu. Will Sh3tterly has now appeared on the Goodreads clusterfuck thread.

*headdesk*

I know several fine people who are friends with Will. They tell me he's a nice guy in real life. I only know him from his online postings, and, lordy, he needs to step back from the internet and get ahold of himself.

A pattern I immediately noticed about "Jennifer" (possible sockpuppet): a habit of responding to each commenter in separate posts and repeating a particular catchphrase at the end of the response. As Carroll, it was "way off base." As Jennifer, it's "viva the hate." Other syntax issues stood out to me too. Hm.

I've just reached Jennifer's posts, and wow.

Winter's Crown - a YA fantasy novel now available for purchase - Kindle US - Kindle UK - Kindle Canada

The Obligatory Website.

The Obligatory Twitter.

practical experience, FTW CQuinlan's Avatar
    Is this the book take of the reality television melt down? It definitely seems like the new way to get noticed in the hordes of people rushing to self-publish. It is a shame though, as these asshats are turning reviewers off all indie books. It's far more unfair (and potentially endangering) to the bloggers but it is affecting the careers of many ethical authors.

yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra Little View Post
    I've just reached Jennifer's posts, and wow.
    This Jennifer has just seriously triggered me from a very bad situation from ages ago. I didn't think it was possible and that the whole unpleasant mess was behind me, long forgotten in the dust. And yet, here she is acting just like this person and acting like she's doing this Carroll favors by trolling on the commentors in such an aggressive, outlandish, ridiculously over the top manner....

Someone let me know how this turns out, I'm going to weed the garden or something.

And what's sad is that she's baiting the people in the comments and they keep engaging her. If there was ever a "Do Not Feed The Trolls" sign, she's it. The entire conversation has turned into a slugfest with that loon.
    Last edited by bearilou; 07-21-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.

practical experience, FTW Silver-Midnight's Avatar
    rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
    Quote Originally Posted by CQuinlan View Post
    Is this the book take of the reality television melt down? It definitely seems like the new way to get noticed in the hordes of people rushing to self-publish. It is a shame though, as these asshats are turning reviewers off all indie books. It's far more unfair (and potentially endangering) to the bloggers but it is affecting the careers of many ethical authors.
    And that's the sad thing. I mean this not only looks bad on them; it looks bad on all self-published authors, even some small publisher-published authors.

I read through some of his blog posts. I believe Jennifer may be his girlfriend (she does identify herself in one of the comments as his 'former fiancee').

Yeah, at the point I stopped reading the comments, I really can't understand why anyone is still engaging that thread. I don't know what GR's policies are on the language, etc., that she is using, but she's quite likely heading for a ban. She can't be argued or reasoned with in any way. It's like no one wants to let the other get the last word in. If people stop commenting, she doesn't win (though she may think she does). Just let it go.
    Blogging at The Doubting Writer

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
    Once again, no response for Stacia. Poor, poor Stacia.
    Maybe they're intimated by you because you're a traditionally published author? Idk

If not I'd never ignore you :P

practical experience, FTW Jupiter's Avatar
    News just in from the Wild Wide World of Weird:

The writer of the post is now claiming that someone has used a photo of him and created a fake profile/posts etc. He's now claiming that he and his friends are being bullied and stalked. When will all the clusterfuckery end?

Banned for Trolling
    Quote Originally Posted by eqb View Post
    Oh dear ghu. Will Sh3tterly has now appeared on the Goodreads clusterfuck thread.

*headdesk*

I know several fine people who are friends with Will. They tell me he's a nice guy in real life. I only know him from his online postings, and, lordy, he needs to step back from the internet and get ahold of himself.
    He's like few people I've encountered online. Your jaw drops, it keeps dropping, and every time you think he can't dig himself deeper, he revs up the backhoe.

practical experience, FTW Jupiter's Avatar
    That's it. I've given up. There's too much weirdness.

In the absence on a smilie that shows a head blowing up ala 'Scanners', I'll have to settle for a

Yeah, I had my entertainment fix. Now I'm

Time to get back to work.

Prepared to sing! AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    I'm still reading this thing, but I note Jennifer says:

I know this Belle because I used to be engaged to him. I also have access to his blog. When he goes on a trip, I post for him from time to time, as does his sister and Ira. I also said that he didn't mean he got 1000 views a day since he started the blog, I said he has been getting it the past couple of weeks. Keep going, show us more of your stupidity and hate.
    Interesting that she admits to posting for him sometimes
    I am the prince of Winter. My heart is of ice.
    And he's been slowly melting it for years.

Chorus audits:
    [x] Start of Something Big (contest)
    [x] Cottage for Sale (contest)
    [x] A Lot of Living
    [x] Nice Work if You Can Get it (contest)
    [x] Every Woman's Song
    [x] Don't Stop Medley

I am only offended by the author's repeated use of, "LOL."

(I think it is the caps)

Prepared to sing! AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    News just in from the Wild Wide World of Weird:

The writer of the post is now claiming that someone has used a photo of him and created a fake profile/posts etc. He's now claiming that he and his friends are being bullied and stalked. When will all the clusterfuckery end?
    It turned out that it was a mistake from his Facebook account. What a day to have that happen.

Okay, I'm not going to read that thread anymore, it was ridiculous.
    I am the prince of Winter. My heart is of ice.
    And he's been slowly melting it for years.

Chorus audits:
    [x] Start of Something Big (contest)
    [x] Cottage for Sale (contest)
    [x] A Lot of Living
    [x] Nice Work if You Can Get it (contest)
    [x] Every Woman's Song
    [x] Don't Stop Medley

There are a few laughs ("you people are diluted, aren't you?") but it's mostly just a really painful train wreck.

The Obligatory Website.

The Obligatory Twitter.

The King Who Bore the Sword J.W. Alden's Avatar
    My god, this thread.

*glances at barely used goodreads account*
    Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Read me:

"Möbius" in Nature
    "The Unworthy" in Fantasy Scroll Magazine
    "Child Soldier" in Daily Science Fiction
    "Item Not As Described" in Unidentified Funny Objects 2

Page 58 of 179 FirstFirst ... 83348525354555657585960616263646883108133158 ... LastLast