AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 46 of 179 FirstFirst ... 213640414243444546474849505152567196121146 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 4458

Thread: Authors should really stop telling readers how to give reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
    It can't be undone.
    Unless the folks in charge at GR have already said it can't be undone, I think it's highly unlikely that it's 'undoable'. Anyone with massive databases like that would be insane not to have backups. They might choose not to use them, depending on how much work it would be, but I'd be shocked if they didn't have backups.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesnít equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog

yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by BenPanced View Post
    And there are a few of those I personally wouldn't include in a steampunk reading list. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland? Sherlock Holmes?
    Hey! I didn't know H. P. Lovecraft wrote Steampunk!

/sarcasm

Wow. This whole debacle is just...boggling. That's some serious hubris on someone's part that they thought they could get away with it.

Keep us/me informed of the results from this, including whether EK admits it was her doing (and hopefully some kind of explanation) or claims hacking or what have you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.

WTF? Who takes it upon themselves to do such a thing on a public website?

Create your own damn list, if you need to be The Authority.

Whoever did this--and I'll withhold judgment until we have confirmation it wasn't a case of "borrowing" an account--should be kicked off Goodreads, IMO, and should publicly apologize.

Disgraceful.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Whatever I did, I didn't do it. Phaeal's Avatar
    How's this for a wild concept?

Instead of whining and amassing social network armies, instead of tampering with public lists, instead of general sulky bad behavior, what if authors worked on improving their writing?

Yeah, you're right. Pretty crazy idea. Never mind.
    SUMM0NED (T0R, available NOW!) Real magic becomes real trouble when Sean summons the wrong familiar.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Thank you. I was kind of sleep deprived and emotional last night.

The book is actually nonfiction, I think technically "related works" or something, but yes, she is only one contributor. It is even possible, as Dani said, that someone else was using her account and this has nothing to do with her at all.

It's still unclear what's going to happen.
    Any chance it was accidental? Thought she was modifying her own list rather than everyone's? When you have mod-level tools at your command sometimes hitting the wrong button can put you into a place where saying "oops!" won't cover it.

Instead of whining and amassing social network armies, instead of tampering with public lists, instead of general sulky bad behavior, what if authors worked on improving their writing?
    No, no, you don't understand! Their writing is already perfect. PERFECT I TELL YOU! Those agents editors reviewers readers aren't advanced enough to understand it. If they only had the capacity to recognize my genius.... But I'll show the fools! I'LL SHOW THEM ALL!

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Terie View Post
    Unless the folks in charge at GR have already said it can't be undone, I think it's highly unlikely that it's 'undoable'. Anyone with massive databases like that would be insane not to have backups. They might choose not to use them, depending on how much work it would be, but I'd be shocked if they didn't have backups.
    I don't know about the folks in charge. A senior moderator has said that it cannot be undone, which fits with Goodreads' information.

But yeah, Richard also thought that any site as big as that had to have backups. Heck, even my little personal blog gets backed up.

Alert member "The Holy Terror" found the Google cache of the list before it was trashed, but you cannot derive from that who voted for what.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amadan View Post
    So is it now Amazon's policy that they'll remove any negative review on request of the author?

It is my impression that if enough people report or flag a review it is deleted without anyone even looking at it.
    Emily Veinglory

Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    Any chance it was accidental? Thought she was modifying her own list rather than everyone's? When you have mod-level tools at your command sometimes hitting the wrong button can put you into a place where saying "oops!" won't cover it.
    Here is the first page of her recent Librarian edits.

Every one of those "book deleted" actions was a separate action, and every one would have the very severely-worded Goodreads popup window warning of dire consequences if this was removing a legitimate book, adding an extra step to the deletion process.

This was not a simple hitting of one button.

I don't know about the folks in charge. A senior moderator has said that it cannot be undone, which fits with Goodreads' information.
    Getting into the difference between 'can' and 'will'. That is, it might not be easy to do. It might mean losing the past few days' data during the roll-back, and they might decide that that's worse. And other possibilities.

I'm not saying they *should* restore the backups. This is a business decision. They have to decide between two bad choices. I'm just saying that I'd be surprised if they didn't have backups that they *could* use if they decided it was worth it.

You might remember about a year ago when something disastrous happened to AW. They had to lose a couple days' worth of posts to restore. Those of us who'd written long thoughtful posts lost our work, but, well, them's the breaks.

Again, it comes down to the pros and cons and what they decide is best for GR overall. They might decide that losing thousands of recent entries to restore several hundred lost votes isn't worth it. Or maybe they could restore just the chunk, but it would take a week of an employee's labour and they don't think it's worth that much money. And so on.
    Changing Gears (available now) -- Winning the race doesnít equal winning at life.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

The threads on Goodreads about this have been locked by the mods.

They say "GR Staff are in contact with the relevant users."

The list remains, and some people have voted on it anew. I think I'm going to go vote myself. Sigh.

I do hope we hear something about this later. I really want to know who did it and why.

Slave to the Wordcount WildScribe's Avatar
    Very interested in all of this. Thanks for keeping us updated.
    Words for 2013 so far: 129,295
    Sales for 2013 so far: 25
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Word total for 2012: 292,394
    Sales total for 2012: 35

Check me out at KathleenTudor.com!

"The first problem of any kind of even limited success
    is the unshakeable conviction that you are getting away with something
    and that any moment now 'they' will discover you." - Neil Gaiman

practical experience, FTW Silver-Midnight's Avatar
    rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
    There's an extreme case of author-mucking-with-readers'-information happening right now.

Evelyn Kriete, a steampunk author, has just in the last few hours wiped out hundreds of readers' votes on Goodreads lists.

These are lists painstakingly created over months and years by the slow accumulation of readers' votes for the benefit of other readers.

This list, which had 167 voters and innumerable books on it four hours ago, now has a single voter -- Ms. Kriete.

If you have voted on any steampunk-themed list on Goodreads, please check to see if your votes have been vandalized.

Goodreads discussion thread of it here:
    http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...punk-list-help

and to a lesser degree here:
    http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...mment_53756426

It looks like this is not the first time Evelyn Kriete has unilaterally deleted other people's web writings in the name of her own personal vision of what steampunk must be.

Ms. Kriete controls a Facebook page called Steampunk and there was a similar incident which upset a lot of people.

Frustratingly, I can't find when it happened because I found only one undated, but before March 2012, archived page about it, and I'm not on Facebook so I can't poke around.

Apart from that one page, I can't find mention of this; possibly people don't want to publicly complain.

But it honks me off, because apparently there was a big foofaraw which then got hushed up. Nobody outside the steampunk community knew about this, and now Ms. Kriete is up to the same dirty tricks, this time treating Goodreads as a personal fiefdom she can meddle with as she chooses.

I hope Goodreads does not allow Ms. Kriete to once again brush this behavior under the carpet. Ms. Kriete may be a published author, but she has no right to censor other people's web presence.

I very much would like to hear Ms. Kriete's explanation of her behavior.

The only record of what happened is tucked away here, on a page which cannot be accessed from the site's homepage:
    http://parliamentandwake.com/veil/st...kfacebook.html

Something unfortunate happened this week on the largest steampunk community Facebook page.

A number of people tried to post links to an innocuous BBC America video segment about Steampunk. These links, for unclear reasons, were repeatedly deleted by the page administrator, Evelyn Kriete. Understandably, the posters and their friends were both surprised and upset. Old grievances were recalled and walls were filled with outraged comments raging against Kriete and her friend, Geoff Falksen. As far as we know, she has remained publically silent about all of this. That’s well within her rights – as is deleting anything that she doesn’t want from her page. But we think that policy is probably bad for her own public image, and it is certainly bad for steampunk as a community.

... Like it or not, Facebook is a hugely powerful tool for shaping culture, taste and community. Unfortunately, it’s also a tool which lends itself to authoritarian control. ...

... these steampunk pages benefit from the assumption that they represent a community. They did not acquire 60+ thousand members each because they are “John Smith, Steampunk Writer” pages. They got those numbers because they present themselves as guardians and voices of the culture as a whole.

... to the rest of us it sometimes feels like one person playing favorites and indulging personal grudges.
    Last edited by Alessandra Kelley; 07-10-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: quote was too long; and then my inner copy-editor winced

Apart from that one page, I can't find mention of this, possibly because Evelyn Kriete is apparently highly influential and important in the steampunk world and people don't want to publicly complain.
    I don't think she's as famous and influential as you're thinking. She's produced a few things for anthologies, which generally isn't enough for someone to be considered a big name in a genre (unless they start getting award nominations). Most likely no one talked about the Facebook thing because it wasn't a big happening in the steampunk community.

Deleting book lists on Goodreads could easily escalate though, so I hope she gets librarian access revoked at a minimum. It's bizarre that the system doesn't allow reversion of list changes.
    * Polenth *

Website | Blog / Send Review Requests | Twitter
    Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel

Quote Originally Posted by Polenth View Post
    I don't think she's as famous and influential as you're thinking.
    I had to Google her. There are names which come immediately to mind when I think of steampunk, and she isn't one of them. *shrug*
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.
    Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
    Dude, I am not that flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    That is just so not cool.
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

I don't think she's as famous and influential as you're thinking. She's produced a few things for anthologies, which generally isn't enough for someone to be considered a big name in a genre (unless they start getting award nominations). Most likely no one talked about the Facebook thing because it wasn't a big happening in the steampunk community.
    You are very likely right (and I edited my post because in the light of morning I looked at it and thought oh swell, I sound like a paranoid conspiracy nut). I am not too familiar with the steampunk community, and I jumped to conclusions. Thank you for pointing things out so reasonably. My apologies, and apologies for the hysterical tone.

I don't know how prominent Ms. Kriete is. She blogs on Tor.com and runs one of the central Facebook pages on steampunk and has been cited in some news stories.

She is up for an award, sort of. She's a contributor to a nonfiction book which is on the Hugo ballot this year.

Deleting book lists on Goodreads could easily escalate though, so I hope she gets librarian access revoked at a minimum. It's bizarre that the system doesn't allow reversion of list changes.
    Her librarian status does seem to have been revoked. Unfortunately, it remains a problem because any librarian on Goodreads could do the same at any time. In fact, when Ms. Kriete's actions came to light, a different person who had been doing far more damage to the lists for almost a week also was spotted and their librarian status revoked as well.

I don't know what's happened since the Goodreads admins locked the threads talking about this. There's been no word and I haven't gotten any updates.

And yes, that is bizarre. Sometimes it feels like the interface at Goodreads is a giant kludge.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
    I had to Google her. There are names which come immediately to mind when I think of steampunk, and she isn't one of them. *shrug*
    Yeah, I think I was dazzled by PR and some fans. Sorry.

Yeah, I think I was dazzled by PR and some fans. Sorry.
    I've never heard of her, but then, I'm not into steampunk. So it seems like she might honestly be a big fish in the little pond, but when you get to the big sea, well, different (ahem) story.

Well, here's something to brighten your day: ttp://stopthegrbullies.com/

I'm still scratching my head at this.
    Last edited by AW Admin; 07-23-2012 at 03:10 AM. Reason: No traffic for you!

Around
    Quote Originally Posted by thebloodfiend View Post

This site is beyond distasteful. They say they want to stop bullying on Goodreads by....wait for it...bullying their targets right off the internet. They post personal information and basically tell others to treat them like garbage.

I saw some tweets about this yesterday, and despite the banner in their sidebar, Bullying.Org does NOT support this site.
    Last edited by AW Admin; 07-23-2012 at 03:10 AM. Reason: No traffic for you!
    Blog: Organized Chaos | Pinterest | Facebook | Website | Twitter

"Holy f*ck!" --Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks, on CHANGELING.

The public doesn't trust them. The government wants to control them. Being a superhero has never been this hard, especially for Tempest.--Coming April 22, 2013 from Pocket Star.

yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by thebloodfiend View Post

That's enough to make me stop doing anything on goodreads now.
    Last edited by AW Admin; 07-23-2012 at 03:11 AM. Reason: No traffic for you!
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    That is one nasty site.

I've only been peripherally involved with Goodreads - now I'm beginning to wonder if it's a place to be involved at all. Are there any bookish sites out there where people behave like adults?
    Je suis Charlie

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

Passion is easy; commitment is hard.

practical experience, FTW Wisteria Vine's Avatar
    That site is so horrible that I can't even think of the words to describe how horrible it is...aside to say it's HORRIBLE.

Always writing AW Moderator Calla Lily's Avatar
    My only involvement in GR is to post giveaways of my books, and to copy over some of my buddyhollywood reviews. More and more, I'm glad I've chosen to limit my social media activity to Twitter and FB and my own website.

Page 46 of 179 FirstFirst ... 213640414243444546474849505152567196121146 ... LastLast