bannedbooks

Read a Banned Book

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 31 of 179 FirstFirst ... 62125262728293031323334353637415681106131 ... LastLast

Thread: Authors should really stop telling readers how to give reviews

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Jane over at Dear Author had a little bit about fake reviews: This kind of fake review is harmful rather than helpful.

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Here's a new angle on the "don't respond to negative reviews" thing.

"Don't argue with people who ask if people agree with a positive review".

The author melts down swiftly and thoroughly in the comments to this positive review, and feels so strongly about it that ttp://www.suedent.net/2012/04/gotta-take-bad-with-good-but-you-dont.html she's blogged about it and, I believe, has Facebooked about it too.

I don't understand why writers do this, but I find it fascinating when they do.
    Last edited by AW Admin; 07-23-2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: No traffic for you!

Between Julie Halpern and Sue Dent, I don't know who hates readers more. Her blog post, ending with the bully bullshit, is so full of dumbassery, I don't know where to start.

Wow. Is this my name on Absolute Write.com? That's amazing. Thanks for the traffic. Oh yes, I hate readers so much. And dumbassery is what I strive for. ;D So glad to know I hit my mark.

Yeah. Y'all don't read Sue Dent's books. She hates readers. That's why she writes.

Queen of the Upmarket Bagladies HoneyBadger's Avatar
    ctrl+ prntscr

Just wading in as the mod for the Roundtable and reminding everyone in here to play nice. The only rule is RYFW.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think I’m disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Quote Originally Posted by sdent1 View Post
    Wow. Is this my name on Absolute Write.com? That's amazing. Thanks for the traffic. Oh yes, I hate readers so much. And dumbassery is what I strive for. ;D So glad to know I hit my mark.

Yeah. Y'all don't read Sue Dent's books. She hates readers. That's why she writes.
    Well, with that attitude, you've certainly put off a lot of people from reading your books.
    "The mercenary captains are either capable men or they are not; if they are, you cannot trust them, because they always aspire to their own greatness, either by oppressing you, who are their master, or others contrary to your intentions; but if the captain is not skilful, you are ruined in the usual way." - The Prince, Niccolò Machiavelli

Write faster! FASTER! G. Applejack's Avatar
    Sometimes I morn the loss of the disconnect between reader and author before the internet. I used to laugh at the circus made of themselves from authors like Sue Dent. Now, as I get older... I just find it kinda sad. It's not amusing. It speaks of some other, deeper problem. One that might not be showcased had there been a barrier between tantrum and the send key.
    Last edited by G. Applejack; 04-12-2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: typing from my phone = spelling errors
    Co-mod at Writing MM Romance, a critique group.

the Juggernaut of Imperfection crunchyblanket's Avatar
    The worst thing is when the writer in question can't seem to see anything wrong with their behaviour. Ho-hum.

yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    wow

and if you have to announce you've 'pawned' someone, um...nah, you really didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.

There are some threads I keep expecting to find referenced on Fandom_Wank. This is now one of them.

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
    Jane over at Dear Author had a little bit about fake reviews: This kind of fake review is harmful rather than helpful.
    What gets me is that one of the authors who hired someone for fake reviews off of fiverr complained:

The ‘reviewer’ didn’t look at the book, not even at the book’s description, not even at the title! Two reviews had no content, the third was blatantly wrong for this kind of book. This kind of fake review is harmful rather than helpful. I complained, got the reviews changed, but am far from happy.

Dude, it was a fake review!

I also wonder why anybody would trust reviews of a fake reviewer on fiverr, but maybe that's just me ...

In light of this, I'm thinking about setting up some Google Alerts on my name, too. Maybe I'll even drum up some drama on Story Siren, ForeverYA, or The Book Smugglers. Call them bullies if they offer a dissenting opinion.

I apologize for calling it a dumbass move. With the 100 or so increased page views per month Sue'll probably get, it was quite smart on her end.

Why, why, why do authors do this?

I understand hearing that your book or writing sucks is hard. We'll never please everyone all of the time. But when an author lashes out, it's such a turn off for me as a reader.
    You can find a list of my works at the following:

Short Stories (SFF), Novella (Historical)

Me: Livejournal Twitter Blog Facebook Google+

Some people get plot bunnies. I get zombie plot goats that are unkillable. Tru Fax.

is watching you via her avatar jjdebenedictis's Avatar
    Wow, Sue Dent is really sarcastic to people.

That's all I'll remember about her.
    Twitter: jjdebenedictis
    GoodReads: jj-debenedictis

I write novels
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    The author melts down swiftly and thoroughly in the comments to this positive review, and feels so strongly about it that ttp://www.suedent.net/2012/04/gotta-take-bad-with-good-but-you-dont.htm she's blogged about it and, I believe, has Facebooked about it too.
    *headdesk*

*adds another name to the do-not-read list*
    Last edited by AW Admin; 07-23-2012 at 04:00 AM. Reason: No traffic for you!

Just to be clear.

First of all, now that I know which exact blog post everyone is talking about, I didn't announce that I pawned anyone as I wasn't aware that I had. The particular person in question tweeted that they'd been pawned and sent a tweet out stating that everyone whom he'd treated badly would enjoy what I wrote.

Secondly, the person in question wasn't a reviewer or a reader and the blog wasn't even about something negative they'd said about my work (although they did comment on three paragraphs they read.) Here's the link to the post should anyone care to read it. ttp://www.suedent.net/2012/04/gotta-take-bad-with-good-but-you-dont.html

The British Fantasy Society asked to review my third book. I didn't ask them. I never asked them yet they've reviewed three of my books. They love my work and so they always ask to review whatever comes out next.

I apologize if my original comment here came off as having attitude. It just caught me off guard that anyone could read that blog post and gather from it that I hate readers. The fact that anyone even saw the blog post is even more amazing so I brought that up as well.

The blog post wasn't about a negative review as I've not had any (knock on wood.) They'll come I'm sure as you can't please everyone. I do feel folks should give the blog a read though so they can know what it was truly about. And actually, I only called the person a bully because after posting the blog, more than a handful of UK authors pinged me and thanked me for sharing my experience, stating that in some way it helped them heal from what they called personal attacks made by this individual. Personally, I'm going to re-track labeling the man a bully as more than anything else he simply stated that he'd rather hear what other BFS reviewers thought of my story. That doesn't exactly make the man a bully.

Knowing folks will think what they think in spite of my words here, that's all I shall say.

As far as that goes, I've always found AbsoluteWrite to be a wonderful site and recommend it to everyone especially authors just starting out. Victoria Strauss helped me immensely with my first publisher. If you do feel the need to communicate with me further I'd love to hear from you on my site.
    Last edited by AW Admin; 07-23-2012 at 04:01 AM. Reason: No traffic for you!

Queen of the Upmarket Bagladies HoneyBadger's Avatar
    It's "pwned," by the way.

(And this is like the biggest Twitter publishing thing today that isn't DoJ-related.)

I don't know if this has been posted in this thread or not, but here's a wonderful blog post from Shimmer on why it's not a good idea to respond to any review, negative or positive:

http://www.shimmerzine.com/2012/03/2...ng-to-reviews/

Basically, it's about giving readers (and reviewers are readers) a safe space to express their opinions.
    ~Marina

Recent Publications:

A Debt Repaid, Lightspeed Magazine, WDSF
    Dateline: Sesen, Star Citizen Spectrum Dispatch

Blog *Twitter* Art * AV

Quote Originally Posted by MJNL View Post
    I don't know if this has been posted in this thread or not, but here's a wonderful blog post from Shimmer on why it's not a good idea to respond to any review, negative or positive:

http://www.shimmerzine.com/2012/03/2...ng-to-reviews/

Basically, it's about giving readers (and reviewers are readers) a safe space to express their opinions.

Thanks for this. The last few panels helped to pinpoint something that I haven't been able to articulate: Why authors responding to my (good) reviews skeeves me out.

I recently reviewed the first of book of a self-published trilogy. It was pretty good and I said so in my Goodreads account. I got a comment from the author thanking me for the kind review.

Guess which trilogy I stopped reviewing?

I know the author meant well, but my review was for fellow readers. This was not a conversation where they were invited.

yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    First of all, now that I know which exact blog post everyone is talking about, I didn't announce that I pawned anyone as I wasn't aware that I had. The particular person in question tweeted that they'd been pawned and sent a tweet out stating that everyone whom he'd treated badly would enjoy what I wrote.
    Well, now we'll never know because you've taken it down. Convenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.

First of all, now that I know which exact blog post everyone is talking about, I didn't announce that I pawned anyone as I wasn't aware that I had.
    Yes you did. I remember reading it before the post was taken down. It was one of the first lines. The fact that you took down the post in question speaks volumes.

Secondly, the person in question wasn't a reviewer or a reader (although they did comment on three paragraphs they read.
    Unless we're thinking of two different things, this person in comment #2 of this site stated that they read a sample chapter and they thought it was awful.

This does make them a reader (granted, of only a sample chapter) AND a reviewer. As for the 3 paragraphs... I'm not understanding where you're getting that. The reviewer responds to that assumption on comment #16.

I seriously hope he was exaggerating when he said you created T-shirts to mock him over this. That's not crossing a line, it's zooming over it and crossing another one a few states over.

Well, you've certainly lost this potential reader and reviewer.

Look.

Don't respond to reviews. Ever. Just don't. It's lose-lose.

Reviews are for readers. They're nothing to do with you.

Write your book. Cash your check. Move on to the next book.

is watching you via her avatar jjdebenedictis's Avatar
    If you do feel the need to communicate with me further I'd love to hear from you on my site.
    Thanks, no. We weren't talking to you.
    Twitter: jjdebenedictis
    GoodReads: jj-debenedictis

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
    Dude, it was a fake review!
    I sometimes wonder if the author expected the fake reviewer to read the first couple of pages, and become so hooked they genuinely loved it. Rainbows and kittens fall from the sky, a real review gets left and everyone's happy.

Only in reality, all the fake reviewer wants is the cash.
    * Polenth *

Website | Blog / Send Review Requests | Twitter
    Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel

Page 31 of 179 FirstFirst ... 62125262728293031323334353637415681106131 ... LastLast