AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 179 of 179 FirstFirst ... 79104129154169173174175176177178179
Results 4,451 to 4,458 of 4458

Thread: Authors should really stop telling readers how to give reviews

He's read my blog and emailed me about 'mocking' him. I have his comment on hold while I decide whether to approve it or not. His four-month-long inappropriate and misguided meltdown via TeddyGate, plus some unsettling stuff back in his game company days, has nearly convinced me that interaction is pointless. He has his own blog, after all. I'm not depriving him of any 'platform' on my blog, which may have a dozen regular readers. If that.

I have a special clause in Filigree's Rule, to remind me of how to deal with situations like this.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    He's read my blog and emailed me about 'mocking' him. I have his comment on hold while I decide whether to approve it or not. His four-month-long inappropriate and misguided meltdown via TeddyGate, plus some unsettling stuff back in his game company days, has nearly convinced me that interaction is pointless. He has his own blog, after all. I'm not depriving him of any 'platform' on my blog, which may have a dozen regular readers. If that.

I have a special clause in Filigree's Rule, to remind me of how to deal with situations like this.
    Well, In the first sentence I was told I was an 'idiot' - hilarious.

And at the end I was accused of 'piling on' someone when they are down.

I shall weep inconsolably into my pillow for weeks.
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

practical experience, FTW
    I'd suggest that engaging in your blog with someone who is on a four-month tear is a recipe for entanglement. Of course the person is going to feel the need to react. And then you have to deal with that. So I hope anyone who chooses to take this up (more) publicly knows exactly what they hope to get out of the ensuing exchange.

Just sayin'....

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylabelle View Post
    I'd suggest that engaging in your blog with someone who is on a four-month tear is a recipe for entanglement. Of course the person is going to feel the need to react. And then you have to deal with that. So I hope anyone who chooses to take this up (more) publicly knows exactly what they hope to get out of the ensuing exchange.

Just sayin'....
    I thought long and hard before addressing the issue. I tired to keep it as respectful as possible. If someone feels the need to respond, I'm going to let them - they deserve that right.
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaldna View Post
    Hmmm. I wrote a short blog piece about Harper and his meltdown and why it was a bad idea, and I got a really shitty comment from him within hours. Now, my blog doesn't have a huge reach, so he'd have to be Googling himself pretty extensively to come across it.

I approved the comment because I figured he deserved his say. But I have to say I'm a little disappointed that he's feeling the need to reach out and attack anyone who comments on him - and yes, he did try to push the publishing platform too. lol

He probably has Google alerts for him and anything relating to his story.

Well, he's gone from being convinced that this is all part of his plan to get a global audience to realizing that this is not positive attention...that's...good? Maybe?

Thing is, I *haven't* written about the story on my blog. Since this version of TeddyGate blew up again, I haven't wanted to refer to him by name. His reactions reveal some dedicated if pointless cybersearching, apparently of everyone who has commented about him.

I don't hate him, I pity him. I can't help anyone still at the crest of their ire and obsession. He's reading this forum, so I'll answer him here. Mods, feel free to yell at me if I cross the line of RYFW.

I couldn't use the Apple platform for my mixed-media book arts. The closest I come to multimedia there is crafting digitally painted artwork and text, to be printed on treated fabric for applique. The version of hypertext image bank described in his blog will not work for my fiction purposes, since I'm not writing in a contemporary Earth setting. Lining up quality artwork for my SF&F is going to take money and contacts with some of the better artists on Deviant Art - if I ever go multimedia with those stories.

Even then, I will not risk entanglement or even association with such a notorious spokesperson. Not after the last four months.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

practical experience, FTW
    Okay. I think it's time to give this whole thing a rest at our end.

I'm going to close the thread for a while. The general subject, of why it's problematic for authors to try to influence how they are reviewed, is not one I want to see buried, but the energy of this particular iteration could use a rest.

As always, if this presents a problem for anyone, please send me a PM and we can discuss it.

Page 179 of 179 FirstFirst ... 79104129154169173174175176177178179