Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 101 of 179 FirstFirst ... 265176919596979899100101102103104105106107111126151176 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 4458

Thread: Authors should really stop telling readers how to give reviews

Banned for Trolling
    Any chance someone could let me know what 'that site' is?

My rhymes are bottomless Hip-Hop-a-potamus's Avatar
    And in the latest episode of "author behaving badly" arriving in my Goodreads e-mail this morning...meet W1ll1am Rutherf0rd. he's evidently going back and deleting (after being at it all day), but many folks have copied/pasted his replies into their own.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...r-thy-neighbor
    The Forgotten Flapper. "A film buff's dream, wrapped in the decadence and glamour of a bygone era." - Kirkus Reviews

Ouch.

Also, am I allowed to name "that site"? I know we're not allowed to link to it because of google but...
    i see you,
    fellow denizen of the net,
    typing, reading

practical experience, FTW meowzbark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsonet View Post
    Ouch.

Also, am I allowed to name "that site"? I know we're not allowed to link to it because of google but...
    Might be best to PM.
    4th Rewrite --> YA Paranormal, 73k words (on hold)
    Final revisions --> Dark Fantasy, 100k words

Twitter| Goodreads

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Yeah, sure. I don't see any reason not to name "That Site." It's called "Stop the Goodreads Bullies." It's a loser site, run by a loser for losers. We've seen some of them, failing hard, here in this thread.

If Amazon hadn't made it possible for anyone with a computer to press the "Publish" button no one would have heard of any of them. Lulu.com is a bit above their capability.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsonet View Post
    Ouch.

Naming them is fine; but I don't won't to give them the credence/page rank that linking to them here will give them.

practical experience, FTW meowzbark's Avatar
    I feel really bad for this author. She "spam" her book all over Goodreads, several members retaliated by picking apart her grammar in her books, she blogged about it and commented, and now apparently the police are involved because she's getting threatening phone calls.

Can't authors learn not to respond? Nothing good ever happens by responding to reviews.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show...ve_Thomas/blog
    Last edited by meowzbark; 02-13-2013 at 11:09 AM.
    4th Rewrite --> YA Paranormal, 73k words (on hold)
    Final revisions --> Dark Fantasy, 100k words

Twitter| Goodreads

practical experience, FTW Weirdmage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meowzbark View Post
    I feel really bad for this author. She "spam" her book all over Goodreads, several members retaliated by picking apart her grammar in these books, she blogged about it and commented, and now apparently the police are involved because she's getting threatening phone calls.

Can't authors learn not to respond? Nothing good ever happens by responding to reviews.

I looked at the comments to her latest post on her Goodreads page (, the one linked). Someone posting from her account is giving the impression they are working for the police (, or at least trying to). The answers they give however, does not look like something anyone working in law enforcement would give, and I've never heard of police taking over someone's online accounts and using them for posting comments.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that everybody is an idiot.

Apart from us, obviously.

But I do have sympathy for anybody whose hard copy publisher is PA. Does anybody know if the PA contract allows her to self-publish the ebook?

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdmage View Post
    I looked at the comments to her latest post on her Goodreads page (, the one linked). Someone posting from her account is giving the impression they are working for the police (, or at least trying to). The answers they give however, does not look like something anyone working in law enforcement would give, and I've never heard of police taking over someone's online accounts and using them for posting comments.
    That's because they don't.

It's just more bullshit to add to the steaming pile.

When will people learn to stop digging?
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by meowzbark View Post
    I feel really bad for this author. She "spam" her book all over Goodreads, several members retaliated by picking apart her grammar in her books, she blogged about it and commented, and now apparently the police are involved because she's getting threatening phone calls.

I feel bad for her, too. This was naivete, not malice. But I do wish she hadn't gone ahead and linked to STGRB, there. And I really wish she didn't have someone pretending to be in law enforcement posting from her account/hadn't begun pretending that. Not only would law enforcement not openly do such a thing, but no one in law enforcement would confuse "slander" and "libel."

I believe Eve is a decent and very enthusiastic person who knows very little about how all of this works, and her enthusiasm led her into some places best not explored. She should really just step away from the computer now.
    Last edited by Stacia Kane; 02-13-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Banned for Trolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
    I believe Eve is a decent and very enthusiastic person who knows very little about how all of this works, and her enthusiasm led her into some places best not explored.

I think you're being awfully generous. She's responding like every other Special Snowflake author we've seen implode over criticism and bad reviews. She drank the StGRB kool-aid and now she's feigning police involvement and invoking guilt trips ("Why are you trying to hurt charities? Why are you trying to ruin this poor woman's career?") on her critics.

In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasis of Austin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amadan View Post
    I think you're being awfully generous. She's responding like every other Special Snowflake author we've seen implode over criticism and bad reviews. She drank the StGRB kool-aid and now she's feigning police involvement and invoking guilt trips ("Why are you trying to hurt charities? Why are you trying to ruin this poor woman's career?") on her critics.
    I agree. Pretending that some law enforcement agency now controls her account, well, it's just weird. And looking at the style it's written in, and the spelling mistakes etc.... very unconvincing.

figuring it all out
    Dear Madams and Gentlemen:

We have received libellious reports regarding a Mr. Otterfactory that took place at 13:04 in the afternoon of February 12th 2013. These slandellious reportages that we, the Internet Sector of the Police and Intelligence Services (ISPIS) have received, is in direct violation of the Terms of Service stated in section 5 of the Slandellation and Libelling Emendment of Wordwide-Web Enterprises Pact (SALE WEP) signed cybernetically by the IP-wielding customer electronically accessing the Internet. The Forums Enterprise And Reportage (FEAR) subsector of the Internet Sector of Police and Intelligence Services (ISPIS) is currently gathering verbal-related intellegencia regarding slanderific and libellamous postages found herewith on this website, Absolute Write.

Please be adviced not to slandellize or libellize Mr. OtterFactory in the future.

Sincerely,

FEAR of ISPIS
    Department of Defense
    1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW (The White House)
    Washington, DC 20500

Oh, dear. She's published by PublishAmerica. That charity isn't going to get any money from this book, because sales will be next-to-nonexistent. And that's assuming PA will actually pay the owed royalties in the first place.

Just wait 'til she gets her first "tone" letter!

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Eve actually posted here so I'd be tempted to give her a little more slack were it not for the fact that she's blatantly sock puppeting her own GR account by pretending it's in the control of third parties when you only have to read the style of language to see that it blatantly isn't. She's trying to stop people talking about her by threatening legal action and no matter what she's been through, that's never a good idea.

MM

She can ask me for advice privately. And I can give her lots better advice than her new friends over at STGRB because I've actually done what they only wish they could do.

While I do enjoy rubbernecking an internet meltdown, this is getting to the point where it's a regular pile-on involving the same people over and over, and that's just ugly.

I'm not a fan of these "bad-author-behaviour" shelves, I feel they smack of self-righteous "Free Speech" banner waving. It's not about exercising our "right" - as it were - to not read books because of authors' behaviour, it's about making sure the author (and everybody else) knows we think they are a jerk.

Trouble is, for every Eve Thomas (naive, genuinely distressed, compounding own mistakes, published by PA and thanking them for it) there's a Carroll Bryant who has a great talent for spin, but a slightly greater one for undermining it and showing himself up. I don't like seeing somebody as distressed as Eve obviously is, but I hope the CB situation has raised awareness about grooming (top tip: you can perform a Google image search for an actual image. If you are a teenager and somebody sends you a picture of themselves, make that the first thing you do, 'k?)

I don't like the shelves but I support the right of people to have them. I don't like that the solution is the title of this thread (because it sounds a bit like victim blaming). I don't like that the "winner" of any of these things is the side with the stamina to continue posting the longest.

I recently read a blog post (I wish I could remember where - hopefully somebody will know the one I'm talking about) about how your behaviour will kick you in the arse. Briefly: Writer X harasses women at conventions and elsewhere, women tell each other to avoid X, word quietly gets around and reaches the ears of this blogger, blogger does not give platform to X (no reviews, no guest posts etc), X is unaware of situation.

That's my kind of solution. But then, I'm posh and British: I express my hatred and disdain with exquisite politeness.

Maybe I'm saying that we should try and protect some people from themselves.

Banned for Trolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo81 View Post
    I don't like the shelves but I support the right of people to have them. I don't like that the solution is the title of this thread (because it sounds a bit like victim blaming).
    Yeah, no. As the one who started this thread, I reject the idea that an author who gets a bad review and throws a tantrum over it is a "victim."

I recently read a blog post (I wish I could remember where - hopefully somebody will know the one I'm talking about) about how your behaviour will kick you in the arse. Briefly: Writer X harasses women at conventions and elsewhere, women tell each other to avoid X, word quietly gets around and reaches the ears of this blogger, blogger does not give platform to X (no reviews, no guest posts etc), X is unaware of situation.
    Yeah, the problem with that is, Google "Isaac Asimov butt pinching." People knew for years that Asimov would grope any comely female who came within arm's length of him. Word got around and women quietly avoided being in proximity to him - if they could - if they didn't want their butts pinched. But because no one ever called him out on it, the behavior went on unabated for years and he and all the other guys doing that shit thought "Tee hee ain't it cute?"

Nowadays, you do that shit and you are more likely to have an Internet firestorm blow up and drag your name through the mud, and everyone will know you are a butt-pinching jerk. I mean, even Harlan effing Ellison, who's used to people calling him an asshole and revels in it, had to make a (half-assed, not very sincere) show of remorse after he groped Connie Willis.

Mean? Rude? Yeah, but even guys who would continue to do that if they could get away with it are more likely to think twice, knowing there will be consequences other than women whispering in secret.

Do some of these "dogpiles" get a little over the top? Maybe. And I will admit I enjoy them as much for the popcorn factor as the didactic value. But I feel no guilt over naming and shaming, and very little sympathy for people who bring it on themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Theo81 View Post
    I think you're referring to Jim C Hines' recent blog.
    Website/Blog | Twitter | Instagram (Dog Pics!)
    New avatar by Britt. Still the same teademon.

WIP1
    GB (Scottish MG Fantasy) | WIP2 DtS (M/M British Urban Fantasy)
    Resting: Giant Robots Project

yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by EMaree View Post
    I think you're referring to Jim C Hines' recent blog.
    I already love Jim Hines. Recently, every time he puts fingers to keyboard, he manages to make me love him a little bit more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.

He shouldn't need to post stuff like that, though. And Scalzi waded in with thoughts on the behavior of people at conventions as well... A handful of people are making a lot of normal, non-gropey folks look bad when those stories break.
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.
    Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
    Dude, I am not that flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
    He shouldn't need to post stuff like that, though. And Scalzi waded in with thoughts on the behavior of people at conventions as well... A handful of people are making a lot of normal, non-gropey folks look bad when those stories break.

How do a few dudes with wandering hands make normal people look bad? We know these people are in the minority, but they still need to be dealt with.
    Website/Blog | Twitter | Instagram (Dog Pics!)
    New avatar by Britt. Still the same teademon.

WIP1
    GB (Scottish MG Fantasy) | WIP2 DtS (M/M British Urban Fantasy)
    Resting: Giant Robots Project

It is the emphasis on conventions in a lot of the talk about these people, which makes it seem "you'll get groped if you go to a convention" for anyone who hasn't actually been to one. Then all the strange looks when I say there are a couple I want to go to...

And really, not copping a feel is pretty much a basic thing to know, no matter where the assaults take place.
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.
    Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
    Dude, I am not that flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

Whatever I did, I didn't do it. Phaeal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bearilou View Post
    I already love Jim Hines. Recently, every time he puts fingers to keyboard, he manages to make me love him a little bit more.
    I love him, too, from reading the linked post and the review of How to Train Your Dragon (movie) I noticed in the sidebar.
    SUMM0NED (T0R, available NOW!) Real magic becomes real trouble when Sean summons the wrong familiar.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Page 101 of 179 FirstFirst ... 265176919596979899100101102103104105106107111126151176 ... LastLast