Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 54 of 179 FirstFirst ... 42944484950515253545556575859606479104129154 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 4458

Thread: Authors should really stop telling readers how to give reviews

yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
    I debated with myself for a while about replying to that and admit to being *extremely* nervous about doing it. I wouldn't have if I didn't feel so strongly about the subject. I'm still not sure at all that it was the right thing to do. I feel sick, quite literally.

That'll teach me to just hit "Reply" to any tweet in the conversation rather than the actual one I mean. I've never worried about being exact with my replies before when it's an ongoing discussion, especially not one that's moving very quickly as that one was.
    The nervousness is understandable, Stacia. I guess it just goes to illustrate what I was trying to say. Ridley posted a twitter 'conversation' as she saw it. In that conversation, another author's comment is quoted out of context. That's never addressed (and I guess she wouldn't know,so why would she?) but in her rush to show that the author is misbehaving and prove it by producing evidence, someone innocent got caught in the crosshairs.

What's the innocent to do? If she tries to explain, is she just opening herself up for 'the snark'? Why should she even be a target since she was unfairly and erroneously targeted in the first place?

And because it's a free-for-all fest to shine a light on misbehaving authors now in comments, would anyone have taken the time to investigate or would there have been another dogpile?

's again. This is why twitter makes me nervous and I usually keep my own conversations to innocent, and boring, commentary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.
    I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
    My sort-of-not-really blog.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
    I debated with myself for a while about replying to that and admit to being *extremely* nervous about doing it. I wouldn't have if I didn't feel so strongly about the subject. I'm still not sure at all that it was the right thing to do. I feel sick, quite literally.

That'll teach me to just hit "Reply" to any tweet in the conversation rather than the actual one I mean. I've never worried about being exact with my replies before when it's an ongoing discussion, especially not one that's moving very quickly as that one was.

What sucks is that if you look at the rest of my side of the discussion--all of my other replies--they make my actual position extremely clear.
    I didn't realise your comment was in there. I suppose it's best that you reply to clarify because you know the random person who hasn't seen your other posts might think otherwise and blow it up out of the water. I think your argument is pretty obvious and everyone is pretty clear what side you're on, you did a whole blog post on it that people talk about so I wouldn't worry Stacia. Got your back.

A bit of a wallflower absitinvidia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Macabre View Post
    I spent a couple of years in fandom, and I have to admit- this is exactly what I thought. I have to admit, the second I saw this, I thought, ''Ho dang, it's like fandom but in real life.'' You see the same ''BNF'' tactics- getting your 'fans' to mobilize and harass someone

Many years ago, I was given a manuscript to edit. Less than two hours in, I had identified entire pages of text that had been plagiarized. I notified the publisher, who notified the author. At some point, the publisher (which, for obvious reasons, I declined to work with again following this incident) gave my personal information to the author to "clear up the confusion" regarding the plagiarized text.

As you might imagine, my next step was to change my phone number and open a P.O. box because the author posted my address and home telephone number online. I received enough threatening calls (including death threats) to warrant police involvement.

I don't know why so many authors and readers seem to believe they have the right to terrorize anyone who criticizes them. But they do. You see it all the time when negative reviews or plagiarism or simply shining a light on bad behavior start getting some attention. And now it seems the BNF reviewers and their readers are developing the same attitude. I think it's unfortunate all around.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    John Scalzi has weighed in on the Stop the GR Bullies fools.

Lots of good comments, too.

Yeah... if I ever get published, I'm definitely remaining a troglodyte - I don't care how much they pay me.
    Je suis Charlie

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

Passion is easy; commitment is hard.

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    From Scalzi's comment thread: How to tell if you're a troll.

(Incidentally, this version of Big Name Fans doesn't map well onto the actual fans (including some quite big-name ones) that I've met. Are we talking about some fandom other than science fiction?)

I'm living in a silent film ViolettaVane's Avatar
    They just went after me. And the sum total of my involvement is:

- when people condemn the site on Twitter, agreeing or RT-ing
    - the comments I have made on this thread at AW
    - a one sentence comment on Dear Author saying that I agree that the site's attacks were misogynistic.

My cowriter and I have a book coming out on August 6th, The Druid Stone, and since I'm checking it frequently, I noticed I had a drive-by one-star. I've gotten weird drive-by ratings sometimes on unreleased Goodreads entries, and I've never reported or complained much about it. I figure it's just a mistake. But for this one, I clicked on the rater and noticed they had rated hundreds of books today, and almost all of them were one-stars, and all the one stars had very little in common except that they were commenters at DA or associated with DA or Smart Bitches. I saw Meljean Brooks, Courtney Milan, Moira Rogers—"Sharon" had given one-stars to ALL 58 OF MOIRA ROGERS' BOOKS—Anne Somerville, Jane Litte (she has an anthology), Sarah Wendell. And then a few other m/m writers who might have been hit simply because they were associated with me and/or my cowriter on Goodreads.

I went ahead and commented and received the following response, capped here:

http://www.diigo.com/item/image/24i7t/tav2

Other people commented after that in support of me, but since I haven't asked their express permission to post this cap, I cropped it all out except for my comment and "Sharon's".

On the upside, people flagged the hell out of this, and in five minutes Sharon's account was deleted and all her troll-stars were gone.

I hope this puts the lie to the whole "we stand up for authors" line at SGRB. They're going after authors, especially ones they think might be weak. Debut authors and women. All of "Sharon's" targets were women, I noticed.

I would encourage anyone who has spoken out against SGRB to check their books for troll reviews like this—the pattern is pretty easy to spot—and report them quickly and publicly. This is really only one or two petty, vicious people and the damage they can do is limited if people stand up against them and refuse to be cowed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    SolaceAmes.com

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolettaVane View Post

- a one sentence comment on Dear Author saying that I agree that the site's attacks were misogynistic.

My cowriter and I have a book coming out on August 6th, The Druid Stone, and since I'm checking it frequently, I noticed I had a drive-by one-star. I've gotten weird drive-by ratings sometimes on unreleased Goodreads entries, and I've never reported or complained much about it. I figure it's just a mistake. But for this one, I clicked on the rater and noticed they had rated hundreds of books today, and almost all of them were one-stars, and all the one stars had very little in common except that they were commenters at DA or associated with DA or Smart Bitches. I saw Meljean Brooks, Courtney Milan, Moira Rogers—"Sharon" had given one-stars to ALL 58 OF MOIRA ROGERS' BOOKS—Anne Somerville, Jane Litte (she has an anthology), Sarah Wendell. And then a few other m/m writers who might have been hit simply because they were associated with me and/or my cowriter on Goodreads.

Other people commented after that in support of me, but since I haven't asked their express permission to post this cap, I cropped it all out except for my comment and "Sharon's".

On the upside, people flagged the hell out of this, and in five minutes Sharon's account was deleted and all her troll-stars were gone.

I hope this puts the lie to the whole "we stand up for authors" line at SGRB. They're going after authors, especially ones they think might be weak. Debut authors and women. All of "Sharon's" targets were women, I noticed.

I would encourage anyone who has spoken out against SGRB to check their books for troll reviews like this—the pattern is pretty easy to spot—and report them quickly and publicly. This is really only one or two petty, vicious people and the damage they can do is limited if people stand up against them and refuse to be cowed.
    Geez, I'm sorry that happened. That's really scuzzy.

I can still see Sharon's one-star on "The Druid Stone," although when I clicked on her icon her profile has been most definitely deleted, and her rating doesn't seem to be counted as either a rating or in the average of the rating up at the top.

I'm glad the GR staff was so quick on this. They seem a pretty good lot, although it's sometimes hard to get word of what's going on.

Also wanted to say ... I've been mainly using Goodreads for the book reviews, not for the social networking. Most of the nonsense over there I've been hearing about here first (the really glaring exception was the steampunk list deletion, which I stumbled into through random luck). My habitual haunts on GR have been placidly normal.

practical experience, FTW CQuinlan's Avatar

Wow. That's just amazing seeing as how they are 'standing up' for authors.

hypocrisy [hɪˈpɒkrəsɪ]n pl -sies1. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc., contrary to one's real character or actual behaviour, esp the pretence of virtue and piety
    2. an act or instance of this

I will say though, as a reader (and all writers have to be readers really). I only read 3 star reviews of anything. 4-5 and 1-2, in my experience, reveal more about the reviewers bias than the merits of story and writing. With 3 star reviews, usually the reviewer can see aspects they both like and dislike.

Do I think a book should be judged on it's own merits and not the authors action? Yes...ideally. But in reality that only stands up to a point. Professionalism in your actions tells me about professionalism in your writing.
    If you take short-cuts to publicity and fans than you probably took short-cuts in your book.
    Instantly I don't want to read them.

"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat Silver-Midnight's Avatar

That really sucks. Do you GoodReads will do anything about that person? I tried looking at their profile to see further what you were talking about but it looks like it got deleted. I got that "couldn't find profile" message.

This is just shameful. I'm sorry that happened to you.
    ♂♥♂

is a twisted individual C. K. Casner's Avatar
    I had to come out of lurking. I'm sorry you had to go through that, Vi. That was uncalled for.

I wonder if she kisses her mother with that mouth.

crazy mean SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    There's a great article at Vulpes Libris about authors responding inappropriately to reviews.

Girl Detective AW Moderator Stacia Kane's Avatar

I am sadly unsurprised.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

The cake is a lie. But still cake. shaldna's Avatar
    What bothers me now is that these GRBully website folks are now clearly going after anyone who disagrees with them, not just reviewers - this includes many authors who have simply stated that they agree the website is not acceptable.
    TORCHWOOD - where the slash is canon

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

Here be snark : www.clairewriteswords.wordpress.com

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    Is it just me, or has that DA thread turned into one giant clusterfuck?

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

Wicked chicken AW Moderator evilrooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotsRUs View Post
    Inevitably. It's a reasonably prominent discussion of an issue of emotional importance to one or more shit-stirrers with very flexible attitudes toward identity and respectful conversation.

I'm mildly surprised that we haven't had any newly-registered accounts here decide it's time to join in the discussion and present the "other side" (purely for "balance", you understand).

I guess we're just not prominent enough.
    An excerpt from Bigglethwaite & Windemere's Manual of Proper and Exquisite English on the Capitalisation of Historical Events.

The capitalisation of historical terms is a matter of concern to many writers. The rule, though simple, requires and reveals the writer's judgment, opinions, and preconceptions, and should be applied with care:

1. Matters of absolute importance should be capitalised.
    2. Matters of no wider historical import should have only their proper nouns capitalised.
    3. Matters which the author not only considers insignificant, but wishes had never occurred, should have all words rendered in lower-case.
    4. If the writer looks upon history as a kind of fantastical territory, and wishes to assert either that it is wildly unlikely or highly distorted, all matters that can be considered nouns of any sort should be capitalised

B&W 2:14

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    Quote Originally Posted by absitinvidia View Post
    I don't know why so many authors and readers seem to believe they have the right to terrorize anyone who criticizes them. But they do. You see it all the time when negative reviews or plagiarism or simply shining a light on bad behavior start getting some attention. And now it seems the BNF reviewers and their readers are developing the same attitude. I think it's unfortunate all around.
    I think it's an overwhelming sense of entitlement.

Look at the death threats hitting one movie reviewer who didn't declare the new Batman movie Oscar-worthy material. Rotten Tomatoes had to shut down comments due to the jackholes sending death threats and hate-filled rants to the poster.

Same thing here - people feel entitled to doing whatever they want without any fear of punishment or answering for what they'd done. I've written a book - drop down on your knees and proclaim it the Best Thing EVAH or I'll spam bomb your mailbox and/or set my buddies on you.

It's very sad.

It's also an illusion of influence. Just like the internet puts a barrier between people that makes it easier to post things they'd never say in public, it also makes it easy to overestimate one's audience.

If you shout on a streetcorner, and five people show up, you can see how small your sphere of influence is. If you rant in a post and five people make twenty sock-puppet accounts apiece to agree with you, then it creates an illusion of numbers where there is none.

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl Nantus View Post
    I think it's an overwhelming sense of entitlement.
    Very possibly. Had a convo with my son the other day, re just because you have the right to do something, doesn't mean you should or that it's a good idea. A pertinent conversation for a 13yo. I'd have hoped it wouldn't need to be explained to grown ups.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

Sophipygian AW Moderator Alessandra Kelley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hack View Post
    There's a great article at Vulpes Libris about authors responding inappropriately to reviews.
    It was fun and refreshing reading. There has been so much venom in this subject, it's nice to see someone who can deal with it coolly and with humor.

I'm living in a silent film ViolettaVane's Avatar
    I'm not too upset about this; the remarks were just so immature I couldn't take them seriously. But thanks to everyone anyway. Like someone above mentioned, SGRB has an illusion of influence.
    SolaceAmes.com

Girl Detective AW Moderator Stacia Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotsRUs View Post
    Not just you. It's pretty terrifying.

Quote Originally Posted by evilrooster View Post
    Inevitably. It's a reasonably prominent discussion of an issue of emotional importance to one or more shit-stirrers with very flexible attitudes toward identity and respectful conversation.

I'm mildly surprised that we haven't had any newly-registered accounts here decide it's time to join in the discussion and present the "other side" (purely for "balance", you understand).

I guess we're just not prominent enough.
    Ditto and ditto.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"We're all mad here" - Cheshire Cat Silver-Midnight's Avatar
    The thing that bugs me is the length that some of these people are going to in order to "prove a point".

Since when was it okay to reveal who someone was online? Furthermore, ask your "author friends and fans" to mess with said person through their personal identity and online identity accounts?

All of this over a bad review.

This all is just one big headache that just seemingly gets worse and worse. *rubs temples*

Whatever I did, I didn't do it. Phaeal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyia View Post
    It's also an illusion of influence. Just like the internet puts a barrier between people that makes it easier to post things they'd never say in public, it also makes it easy to overestimate one's audience.

If you shout on a streetcorner, and five people show up, you can see how small your sphere of influence is. If you rant in a post and five people make twenty sock-puppet accounts apiece to agree with you, then it creates an illusion of numbers where there is none.
    Well, I've been on the phone all damn morning with the Obama and Romney campaigns, and you know what? NOBODY IN EITHER CAMP HAS EVEN HEARD OF THE THREAT WHICH THE GOODREADS "BULLIES" POSE TO WORLD-WIDE DEMOCRACY, AND PUPPIES!!!

And these two guys want to be president?

Lame.

(Sarah Palin did note that, as a hockey mom, she could kick the butt of anyone involved in this fiasco. Joe Biden thinks they should all have a beer and chill. So at least some political personages are paying attention to important stuff.)
    SUMM0NED (T0R, available NOW!) Real magic becomes real trouble when Sean summons the wrong familiar.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Page 54 of 179 FirstFirst ... 42944484950515253545556575859606479104129154 ... LastLast