The next big thing

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
Gotta disagree. Fallen Angels are SO last season. No. Seriously, they are. They were all anybody was buying around two years ago ish, and while there are some pretty big Fallen Angel successes out there ie: Hush Hush, Fallen, the dystopian thing came along and blew them out of the water.

Which btw isn't the next big trend, it is the CURRENT big trend.

Not that it matters of course if you have a killer dystopian - a good book defies all game playing, but even here at AW we have authors saying they are getting rejections on their dystopians from agents with a "this is great, but there's a glut in the market and I just don't think I can sell this anymore".

Ah. I'm somewhat new to the YA genre. Within the last 5 years or so. Not sure what the trends were pre-Vampire days.

If the evolution was Fallen Angel/Dystopia to Vampires, then yeah, oops. I will say I did make the right correlation though, just wrong side of it. I know it's like predicting the winner of a World Series that happened 7 years ago, but if you don't know who actually played in it, it's still impressive!

Yeah, that's what I'll tell myself. ;)

Last edited:

legendary bum

needs to change her sheets
Registered
Reaction score
hey, you bring up a pretty good point. what WAS the big trend before vampires?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Ah. I'm somewhat new to the YA genre. Within the last 5 years or so. Not sure what the trends were pre-Vampire days.

If the evolution was Fallen Angel/Dystopia to Vampires, then yeah, oops. I will say I did make the right correlation though, just wrong side of it. I know it's like predicting the winner of a World Series that happened 7 years ago, but if you don't know who actually played in it, it's still impressive!

Yeah, that's what I'll tell myself. ;)

The evolution was actually Vampires to Fallen Angel to Dystopian. I think you're thinking that Paranormal Romance is hot right now, but it's simply because now there is so much of it available because of the previous glut, and you also have all those authors who did well in the genre continuing to write in it. But as far as what is actually hot, it's not that. Agents/Editors are getting a bit tired of it. And right now it's all dystopian all the time.

To answer the question of what came before Vampires. Nothing. Aside from Harry Potter. Harry Potter changed the nature of the children's book industry. TWILIGHT the nature of the YA book market. Before them, both were small, and far less trendy. Remember, the concept of books for younger people being a major source of income for publishers only started when Harry Potter took off. Before that it was a much smaller market. Further the concept of YA is I'd venture to suggest only a decade old. There has always been books for young people out there, but before recently they were read by pre-teens, not teens. This is the first time that we have books for YAs read by YAs. I wrote a blog post on the subject here.

Last edited:

eventidepress

Registered
Reaction score

Harry Potter and fantasy stuff? <.< yeah yeah, might not count as YA, etc, but, it's the reason the genre exploded into popularity when it did...

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score

Schools for special/magical kids in middle grade. I remember reading Charlie Bone.

Maybe it was fairies? I remember seeing a lot of YA fairy books. I also remember a lot of high fantasy.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Fairies were post Vampires before Fallen Angels.

I know they came back recently. But I distinctly remembering seeing lots of YA books about fairies in...1998 maybe? It's hard to think back because I was so young. But it was around the same time it was socially acceptable to get a fairy tattoo.
ETA: ah and contemporary duh! Really intense and depressing contemporary. We tend to think of YA trends in terms of non-human creatures. But that in itself is a trend.

Last edited:

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
The evolution was actually Vampires to Fallen Angel to Dystopian. I think you're thinking that Paranormal Romance is hot right now, but it's simply because now there is so much of it available because of the previous glut, and you also have all those authors who did well in the genre continuing to write in it. But as far as what is actually hot, it's not that. Agents/Editors are getting a bit tired of it. And right now it's all dystopian all the time.

To answer the question of what came before Vampires. Nothing. Aside from Harry Potter. Harry Potter changed the nature of the children's book industry. TWILIGHT the nature of the YA book market. Before them, both were small, and far less trendy. Remember, the concept of books for younger people being a major source of income for publishers only started when Harry Potter took off. Before that it was a much smaller market. Further the concept of YA is I'd venture to suggest only a decade old. There has always been books for young people out there, but before recently they were read by pre-teens, not teens. This is the first time that we have books for YAs read by YAs. I wrote a blog post on the subject here.

Excellent blog post! There is a great difference between MG between YA. The two most important things are the ages of the audience the book is intended for and the content within. YA fiction is definitely flying off the shelves, but a lot of the bestsellers don't just have sticky sweet 'love at first sight' elements especially if its paranormal/fantasy fiction.

But when you go to Amazon and online bookstores and you check out the intended age for YA fiction, you see this:

Falling Under --> Ages 12 and Up (from Amazon.com)

I've read this book and found it to be a very interesting read. However, the content of this book isn't exactly appropriate for 12-year-olds. Maybe a 14-year-old or even a 15-year-old. But there are book publishers that market plenty of books towards younger audience even if the content is intended for older.

I suppose this isn't a far shot from the direction of what the media is doing. I'm sure 12-year-olds have read and watched some crazy things. However, just because its available to them doesn't mean they are mature enough to handle the content. It's this phenomenon that book publishers are following: "If the television shows and movies can do it, why can't we?"

There some books that have impact on MG and YA readers like Judy Blume's works, but those have life lessons that stick with someone. What positive life lessons or morals does the YA paranormal and fantasy fiction currently stocked on our local bookstore's shelves provide?

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
@missus I just checked and it says 14+

Maybe they've changed it? Unless you mean "in general" but each book has specific age recommendations.

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes? On my Amazon page, it still says 12+. Hm, I wonder what's going on. Maybe they did update it.

legendary bum

needs to change her sheets
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: ah and contemporary duh! Really intense and depressing contemporary. We tend to think of YA trends in terms of non-human creatures. But that in itself is a trend.

Beautiful dead sisters seem to be a staple for really intense and depressing contemporary. In a way it's comparable to the vampire trend. Beautiful dead sister = beautiful undead creature. Coping Mary Jane sister = Smitten Mary Jane mortal.

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard rumblings that horror/suspense is predicted to be the next big thing in YA.

I've also heard agents asking for good mysteries for both MG and YA.

And there's a handful of mermaid YAs debuting in 2012.

So, so hard to predict future trends. If the book is amazing, I think someone will snatch it up - even if it's in one of the saturated genres.

Llayth

Registered
Reaction score

Apart from Harry Potter my school had a few series that everyone read. These were all quite popular among my year group: The Saga of Darren Shan, Wicca/Sweep, and A Series of Unfortunate Events. I don't know if they were trends worldwide but definitely were at my school.

Just thought of something. I also remember quite a lot of witch fiction around the time I was 13, back in 2002/2003. There was Charmed, Witch Child and Sorceress, The Secret Circle, Wicca/Sweep, and Circle of Three. A lot of girls in my year read them. Have witches ever been a popular trend?

mac3910

Here, there, everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
I can remember that six-ten years ago fairies were huge. I couldn't find a book in the school library that wasn't about fairies. Also, Sarah Dessen. There was a multitude of Sarah Dessen books.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
If the MORTAL INSTRUMENTS movie goes into production and release I think it'll see a regeneration of urban fantasy, which is still selling at the moment but seems to have taken a back seat to dystopian and paranormal romance (which is still a big seller according to my agent right now).

I've got my hopes for space opera making an impact on YA. At the moment all the space set SF seems to have a big romance element to it, and I'm hoping for something much more action/horror orientated.

MM

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't read anyone's posts, but I have to wonder if new versions of classic fairytales might be the next thing. I know there was a lot of success with Beastly by Alex Flinn and Little Red Riding Hood. Both of these were just made into movies, so I don't know if book sells were up before they decided to release the movies.

I think the next book that I work on will be a retelling of Beauty and the Beast...so I'm hoping my prediction is true.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Fairy tale retellings are actually nearing not-saleable saturation levels. The Little Red Riding Hood I'd been working on since last year got shelved because of the glut at the moment.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Cyia, can I ask how you know? I'm not trying to be rude or a smart-ass, I'm just curious.

Another writer told me that historical fiction--at least ones set in America--are on the decline, while others have said that's not true.

I never really know who to believe, and unsure how to determine the market.

I have also heard from someone on here, that you'll drive yourself crazy trying to predict the market.

Last edited:

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I remember there being a really big historical fiction YA trend when I was 13ish, with the Gemma Doyle books, books by Celia Rees, Jennifer Donnelly's A Northern Light, etc... That was a cool trend.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Cyia, can I ask how you know? I'm not trying to be rude or a smart-ass, I'm just curious.

No worries :)

It's from talking to the agents who offered representation before I signed with Suzie. They asked what else I was working on, and the retelling was one of the books I had nearly finished. The market's full of them right now, LRRH, especially. Even a "different" one can get drowned.

Suzie said something similar after I was working with her. I actually started putting chapters on my blog because I didn't want to trunk it completely.

Lynn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
princesslivingthefairytale.blogspot.com
Belle 91- I know some editors are still open to fairy tales. My agent is currently submitting my contemporary YA. She's passed along a few editor rejections to me (depressing, let me tell ya). One editor specifically wrote that she was currently looking for a "dark, twisted fairy tale retelling." My agent commented that editors seem to be looking for YA storylines that are "dark" and "shocking/agonizing/over the top."

Unfortunately, I'm not that writer. When I read or write YA with serious or tough subject matter, I prefer it to have some element of hope in it. It's just a personal thing with me because I know so many teens who are already struggling with depression and anxiety.

Last edited:

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
This is quite an interesting read! It's great to read all the "guesses" at what's going to be the next big thing...

What I have to add, though I cringe... Circus' and I'm not just saying that because of... crap, that book that just came out by (drawing a complete blank) but anyways, the point it... circus'

I've hear a lot of talk about them recently and think it might be added to the next big thing :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
"That author" is Erin Morgenstern, and a member here; the book is The Night Circus, and I certainly hope circus books take off, because the Steampunk in my sigline is a circus novel ;)