Can one use old news paper articles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneWheller

Dancing Under Wintery Stars
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere just beyond that place, that's next door
Can a person use old newspaper articles or cartoons about yourself on such site as Facebook when promoting your self-published book when these articles or cartoons were written by someone else? For example--once there was a cartoon in the paper about my self-published book by some artist. I wanted this cartoon on my Facebook page, as well as articles or references to the articles? Do I need permission?

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Contact the artist, or the newspaper, if you want to use it. Just as a courtesy. And throw a link out to them, so that people can see more of their work.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
More than just a courtesy, actually: You need the rights holder's permission to copy the items. I suggest starting with the newspaper, which should have a "for reprints, contact ..." somewhere.

StoneWheller

Registered
Reaction score
I have contacted the newspaper, but finding that artist online has not happened yet. It's been years since this happened so the artist could be anywhere. Also, he signed with his name, but then he put the paper's name as well. I bet it all belongs to the paper. Will let it be known what I find out.

StoneWheller

Registered
Reaction score
"I'm sorry, but we cannot grant permission to use our copyright material for any kind of commercial purposes." This is what the newspaper told me. Kind of a let down. He said if he misunderstood for me to e-mail him back, which I did, but I guess it will still be no. I guess I can still just tell what happened on a blog, facebook, ect. so the readers would know what I went through for the book, as well as what the book is based on. That would be my story, written by me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.