Bibliography in historical fiction?

Jack_Roberts

Scribe of my muse, Annabelle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
night-children.blogspot.com
Hey guys,
I wrote a historical fiction/ vampire middle grade novel. It features vampire children as the main protagonists and the backdrop for the first book is the Salem Witch trials and colonial America.
Do historical fiction novels require some kind of notes or a bibliography at the end to show my research? Is it necessary?
Please give me your thoughts/ knowledge/ opinions. Thanks.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't call your book historical fiction. Is that what it's being marketed as?

For very serious historical fiction I have seen bibliographies - but I'd never expect them in a vampire novel. Puma

Jack_Roberts

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nope Puma, it's marketed as "Middle Grade historical fantasy". It’s only historical as a setting. The adventures take place with historical events in the background and historical characters might feature, but it’s mainly young vampire adventure.

So I suppose I don’t need a page listing my research notes. Thanks!

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I don't think it's necessary. When SEASONS IN THE MIST was published, the publisher was kind enough to let me put in my glossary of terms, but she never asked me for a bibliography or anything of that nature. Sounds like you're on solid ground here as-is.

W.J. Cherf

VP, Egyptian Studies Society
Registered
Reaction score
Not in your case

I agree with those above as a bibliography would not be necessary. However, consider this. In my case, I discuss papyri and in the process include directly in the text the names of sources and their positions that I give in the abbreviation list in the front matter. Odd, I agree, but that is the style in ancient history books.

Jack_Roberts

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Good point. Mine is marketed for middle grade so I decided I'll only add one when nessessary. But thanks for the advice.

I agree with those above as a bibliography would not be necessary. However, consider this. In my case, I discuss papyri and in the process include directly in the text the names of sources and their positions that I give in the abbreviation list in the front matter. Odd, I agree, but that is the style in ancient history books.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I may mention sources in my Author's/Historical Notes section or personally thank an historian in my Acknowledgement section. If anyone wants to know my sources, he/she can always contact me through my publisher or gmail.

Often my section quotations reveal a source or three.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Scott, if your project is for MG, why not include the biblio as a "Want to Read More About It?" section at the end of the book? Kids are curious...you might start some of your readers down some fascinating intellectual rabbit-trails.

Just a thought.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Scott, if your project is for MG, why not include the biblio as a "Want to Read More About It?" section at the end of the book? Kids are curious...you might start some of your readers down some fascinating intellectual rabbit-trails.

Deb beat me to it.

No, there's no requirement to put in a bibliography even in an Historical Novel, much less an Historical Fantasy.

But I would have been interested to have a few books suggested about the Salem Witch Trials in the back of the book when I was that age. Any kid who likes your book might want to read more about that time period. I wouldn't necessarily include all the books you used, but the most interesting ones, yes.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
What I did in mine was to include Author's Notes at the end. There is where I listed sources for the information included in the novel.