• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Submission service] Hollywood Spec Agency

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Has anyone heard of this one?
http://www.hollywoodspec.com/

I heard about it because they posted in a newsgroup on sff.net. If it had been posted in a more high traffic group, I'm sure there would have been more (ahem) responses. ;)

From their post: "Screenwriters, Novelists, Filmmakers 'Pitch' your story on CD. What makes your story interesting and unique? Company helps writers promote their story and showcase their script/manuscript. CD can also be used to help raise film funding. You may request a free Demo CD throught the website."

I'm not all that familiar with the screenplay market. Are these marketing tools of any use whatsoever? After all, a lot of companies won't read your screenplay, so why should they want to look at your a CD or DVD, interactive or not? Even if it has things like animated storyboards or scenes, as a sort of "demo disk." (Even if it might not be useful, the product looks cool, and I can think of plenty of novelists who'd love to have 3-D storyboards of their novels to play with. :D )

BTW the site includes links to SellaScript.com and ScriptSales.com. Their sister company is Damon Britain Production Services, a company that makes safety & training videos, etc. -- that seems legitimate enough.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
This seems to me like a solution in search of a problem (which, come to think of it, is one definition of "scam", or at any rate, "really bad idea"). I know for a fact that no one in publishing would pay attention to any of the packages this outfit offers (in fact, most editors have hilarious submissions-gone-wrong stories about stuff like this), and I'm guessing it's the same for scripts.

- Victoria