Votes: 40 58.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to look into those. The only noticeable effect I've had on a book from reading it with the DJ off was with my signed copy of Ghost Story. I devoured it in one night and my hands were a bit sweaty I guess and the spine of the book is slightly indented from my fingers hehe.

OnlyStones

Badger told me ...
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I take them off.
But I honestly can't remember the last time I read a hardcover book.

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
First thing I do when I get home with my new book is to remove the dust jacket and banish it to its grisly fate in the trash can.

Can't stand them, refuse to keep them and, since I don't sell my books, it won't matter to me what the value is or isn't without those infernal wastes of material.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
OFF. I don't like wrinkles or smudges!

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Some people toss them? Yikes. I might dislike the feel of them while reading the book, but I keep them pristine to put on while it's on the shelf hehe.

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't mean to overreact here, but ... throw away a dust jacket?

As a bibliophile who has also painted cover art, I find that ... disappointing.

It would solve the problem if someone could get someone to print the cover on ....the cover.

Instead of just adding more paper.

I know they can do that, because I have several books with cover art on both the cover itself AND the dust jacket.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Newer binding standards allow for that. Older ones, not so much.

Whether I'm planning on selling the books or not, I try to take care of my hardbacks. They're expensive, some cannot be replaced, and I want them to last. An example: back in the early 80's I picked up a set of gorgeous, glossy-stock 'Treasures of the World' hardbacks, showcasing the decorative arts and ornaments of major world cultures. They were covered in gold-stamped satin, with intaglio prints inlaid on the front covers. All three exposed edges of the text block were gilt, to minimize browning. The slipcase, also satin and gold, died within two years. I use these books in research and design, and I re-cover them in clear archival plastic every ten years or so. I could sell them now for serious money. But more importantly, they're still intact.

I'm a technical book-geek. I know the reason why hardbacks come with dustcovers, and I choose to augment those jackets. I just like the feel of a covered book, too.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I would never throw the dj away! Once I've finished reading, it goes back on the book.

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
It would solve the problem if someone could get someone to print the cover on ....the cover.

Instead of just adding more paper.

I know they can do that, because I have several books with cover art on both the cover itself AND the dust jacket.

You mean, like they used to? DJs are a waste of paper that bring nothing to the story inside. If I want to see art I'll go to a museum. I pick up a book to read the words printed within.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I loathe cover art. That's one of the big reasons why the dust jackets go. The cover art does not add anything to the story for me and I often pass by books when browsing that keept their cover art busy or the centrepiece. The other big factor is that the cover art is almost always never targeted towards me, even if the book is.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I loathe cover art. That's one of the big reasons why the dust jackets go. The cover art does not add anything to the story for me and I often pass by books when browsing that keept their cover art busy or the centrepiece. The other big factor is that the cover art is almost always never targeted towards me, even if the book is.

I'm shocked! I love a good cover. I especially love good dust jackets.

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
There's an odd bit of reasoning to this it seems. There are those that take off the DJ while reading to preserve it and those that keep it on while reading to preserve the book. Boggles the mind. But I'm 100% guilty of judging books by cover art...it's hard not to unless I know or have heard that the book is good even if it's cover art is awful.

Reaction score
On. Taking them off never occurs to me.

If I were a book collector like mscelina, I'd reconsider but when you buy a book that's sold by the hundred-thousand, there's hardly any value in having a pristine first edition.

I'm more careful with my author-signed books.

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
Off, and they stay off. Ripped up and in the bin. Hate them. Even when they're just on your shelf, they start riding up. Same thing with those cardboard sleeves over DVDs and Blu-rays that are over the actual cover. Tear them them up. Don't want them.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Off, and they stay off. Ripped up and in the bin. Hate them. Even when they're just on your shelf, they start riding up. Same thing with those cardboard sleeves over DVDs and Blu-rays that are over the actual cover. Tear them them up. Don't want them.

:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.