Question Re: Nook

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Wenclas

Banned
Reaction score
A question: I'm setting up a book review blog. I have a p.o. box and will have no trouble receiving print books. But I also want to review ebooks. Friday may be a good time to puchase a Nook or Kindle ereader. Before I do, I need to know: Will writers seeking a review have the ability to send me a free ebook review copy? Or, how?

(Conversely, how do you go about sending a free review copy of your own ebooks to review sites for review?)

Answers to these questions will be much appreciated!

(I'll be announcing the review blog by early next week.)

Thanks.

-K.W.
www.americanpoplit.blogspot.com

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
Yes, it's easy.

Writers can email you a copy of the book in MOBI (Kindle) or EPUB (Nook + others) format based on your preference. You can then transfer it to your device from your PC. The methods are covered in the device instructions and they're straightforward for Kindle, and I'd assume similarly easy for Nook.

Ebook formats can be read on your MAC/PC/iPhone/iPad as well using the free software readers if you haven't purchased a dedicated hardware reader. (I recommend the standard Kindle devices over the Fire/Nook if your primary usage will be reading fiction. The reading experience on e-ink is SO MUCH BETTER than reading on a backlit pixel computer screen regardless of size and that's what all the tablets and phones use too. If it's a multipurpose gaming/app/browsing device then the tablets make more sense.)

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
The reading experience on e-ink is SO MUCH BETTER than reading on a backlit pixel computer screen regardless of size and that's what all the tablets and phones use too.

(I disagree - I much prefer LCD. I think it's one of those either/or things. Might as well send EPUB and MOBI versions and let the user decide.)

HisBoyElroy

Conqueror Worm
Registered
Reaction score
Will writers seeking a review have the ability to send me a free ebook review copy? Or, how?

(Conversely, how do you go about sending a free review copy of your own ebooks to review sites for review?)

Yes. With Amazon anyway, an author could "gift" you a copy of his book. He could also send you the book files he used to upload the book to Amazon and/or B&N, (That would be either the .mobi or .prc files for Amazon, or the .epub file for BN - you just put them in your device folder. It's easy. If sending your own book, the review site will tell you what type of file they want.)

That said, I wouldn't mind finding somebody to review my new book. I'll keep an eye out for your announcement - if you're interested in reviewing historical mystery/supernatural/steampunky stuff.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It's easy to read .pdf files on a Nook, and easy to convert .doc files to .pdf.

But lots of authors send me .epub copies of their books with no trouble.

Let me also recommend Calibre as excellent (donation-supported freeware!) conversion software.

Elvirnith

Dark Lord
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronaldcraft.com
It's easy to read .pdf files on a Nook, and easy to convert .doc files to .pdf.

But lots of authors send me .epub copies of their books with no trouble.

Let me also recommend Calibre as excellent (donation-supported freeware!) conversion software.

On an off-topic note, I've found Sigil (also free) excellent as well. It has epub validation built into it so you can find/fix flaws in the file that might prevent it from displaying correctly. I know this tool was invaluable for helping me get my manuscript fixed up before I submitted it to SmashWords so that I was able to pass all of their checks.

King Wenclas

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and feedback. Much appreciated.

My blog announcement is now up in the proper place. I look forward to reading MyBoyElroy's steampunk novel. I've been meaning to give that genre a try.

-K.W.

Status
Not open for further replies.