Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Midnight Magic Press

Midnight Magic Press

I friend of mine was offered a contract from Midnight Magic Press and I've never heard of them. Anyone? I did check P&E but found nothing.

www.midnightmagicpress.com/

Thanks,

Carlene
    When Harmony Jane Jones loses her cat, her car, her job and her boyfriend, all within the space of a week, she does what any 20-something woman would do. She runs away and joins the circus.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Calling something a scam is not a laughing matter, actually.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lweinberg18 View Post
    They're not in the Writer's Market for 2012, or on pred-ed.com.

Just by the website...it looks like a scam operation. I'm just saying...lol
    New e-publisher. May I just say that this is the second time you've been fast and loose with your terminology. You have admitted elsewhere that you know very little about the publishing industry, so perhaps this would be a good time to open your eyes and silence your fingers.

Agent, author, human.
    Lesson learned.
    *opinions are my own*

Find more about me at:

My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

The owner's website is http://mistyburke.com which has some writing samples from her books. She has a number of books published with Summerhouse Pubilshing (whose aim is to act as 'a middle ground between self-publishing and a fully featured press' according to the AW thread) and SecretCravings (whose AW thread doesn't inspire much confidence, citing spelling errors, although a check with the website shows somebody took notice and corrected them so *that's* good).

There are 6 editors named, one of whom - Melissa Keir - is also a named author. I would like to know if any of these editors are also writing for the press under pen names as a quick Google check reveals the another three of them have publications to their names (although not with any of the big e-presses) and their blog tells me the other two are also writers. 6 Editors sounds like a lot for a brand new press and none of them appear to have formal editing experience.

I don't see any Red Flags of Doom, but I wouldn't send anything I wasn't happy to have sink. They are a new press and my main concern would be the lack of experience. I'd like to see what they do in the way of marketing and promotion over the next couple of months - they only opened to subs on 1st Nov.

Romance with Kick-Assitude! Cassie Knight's Avatar
    I'm in no way associated with Midnight Magic Press but I've talked to Misty on behalf of EPIC and the conference in March which she is attending, giving a workshop and pitching. She's been perfectly lovely and is enthusiastic. I know, that's not business but she's been easy to talk to. I'll contact her and see if she is willing to come online and say hi and answer some questions.
    Last edited by Cassie Knight; 11-18-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Corrected the publisher's name. Sorry, missed Magic
    Cassiel Knight
    Publisher, Champagne Book Group
    www.champagnebooks.com
    Paranormal Romance with Kick-Assitude!
    www.CassielKnight.com

Writing and loving it! Damsel_in_Distress's Avatar
    Just thought I'd update everyone that this pub has already closed. Heard it on Facebook but I don't have any details. Their website is down.

ETA: I've sent Misty a message on Facebook to make sure she's all right since it happened so fast. I only "know" her online, but did chat with her not more than two weeks ago about the pub and her plans for it, so I was pretty sad to see that they've closed already.
    Last edited by Damsel_in_Distress; 11-30-2011 at 05:10 AM.

Agent, author, human.
    [QUOTE=Damsel_in_Distress;6778461]Just thought I'd update everyone that this pub has already closed. Heard it on Facebook but I don't have any details. Their website is down.

Not surprising.
    *opinions are my own*

Find more about me at:

My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

MMP

I signed a contract to publish with them on November 1st, as the owner was previously a member of a writing group I was in and one of the editors (also a member) finaled in the Golden Heart.

The owner sent the contract and the cover art form immediately. The cover was gorgeous. She sent my MS to an editor who had great credentials and decided on a release date. I was in the process of writing a "free read" for potential readers as well.

Day before Thanksgiving, the owner sent an e-mail saying she'd decided to close the doors because of "unforeseen difficulties". You can safely scratch this one off your list as an e-publisher.

I'm going to go with she's probably not taking pitches at EPIC.
    Last edited by AllisonMerritt; 11-30-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Agent, author, human.
    Quote Originally Posted by AllisonMerritt View Post
    I signed a contract to publish with them on November 1st, as the owner was previously a member of a writing group I was in and one of the editors (also a member) finaled in the Golden Heart.

The owner sent the contract and the cover art form immediately. The cover was gorgeous. She sent my MS to an editor who had great credentials and decided on a release date. I was in the process of writing a "free read" for potential readers as well.

Day before Thanksgiving, the owner sent an e-mail saying she'd decided to close the doors because of "unforeseen difficulties". You can safely scratch this one off your list as an e-publisher.

I'm going to go with she's probably not taking pitches at EPIC.
    I somewhat envisioned this simply due to the website's presentation. My spidey senses went off...though it could just be a coincidence.
    *opinions are my own*

Find more about me at:

My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

I somewhat envisioned this simply due to the website's presentation. My spidey senses went off...though it could just be a coincidence.

Or it could be the fact that the vast majority of startup epublishers fail, and a good chunk of them fail within the first six months or so.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Agent, author, human.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
    Or it could be the fact that the vast majority of startup epublishers fail, and a good chunk of them fail within the first six months or so.
    I think they go hand in hand. Not being able to afford a certain quality website says there's a lack of funds in some aspect or area. Basic business logic. Just my $.02
    *opinions are my own*

Find more about me at:

My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

I think they go hand in hand. Not being able to afford a certain quality website says there's a lack of funds in some aspect or area. Basic business logic. Just my $.02
    I suppose there's always the possibility that they're rebuilding the site. But a message to that effect ought to have been posted.

Agent, author, human.
    Quote Originally Posted by JulieB View Post
    I suppose there's always the possibility that they're rebuilding the site. But a message to that effect ought to have been posted.
    Agreed, if they were rebuilding the site they should have mentioned it. I only mentioned the site as evidence since AllisonMerritt said they had gone under/closed up shop.

It's a shame, though. I think things must have been going downhill for a while, and it's sort of tactless to offer a contract then shortly thereafter closing the doors.

The owner/president probably should have let on there was a chance of flopping.
    *opinions are my own*

Find more about me at:

My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

It's a shame, though. I think things must have been going downhill for a while, and it's sort of tactless to offer a contract then shortly thereafter closing the doors.

The owner/president probably should have let on there was a chance of flopping.

SOP for failing micropresses. I can name half a dozen off the top of my head that offered contracts until the day they announced their closure or, more commonly, simply disappeared and stopped answering emails or anything else.
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Agent, author, human.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
    SOP for failing micropresses.
    SOP?
    *opinions are my own*

Find more about me at:

My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency

Ships full of vampires are hell. AW Moderator amergina's Avatar
    SOP?
    Standard Operating Procedure.
    WIP: Syncopation -- Rockstars! Kink! Reunited snarky enemies to lovers!
    Latest Release: Daily Grind
    Coming August 15, 2017: Close Quarter
    Coming October 2017: Outside the Lines

Website * Twitter * Tumblr

Please consider a paid subscription to AbsolueWrite to help with site's upkeep!

Agent, author, human.
    Quote Originally Posted by amergina View Post
    Standard Operating Procedure.
    Thanks for the elaboration! Still seems like bad business manners to me.
    *opinions are my own*

Find more about me at:

My Website
    Twitter
    The Seymour Agency