The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast

Thread: ParaDon Books Publishing / Amazon Book Clubs

Requiescat In Pace Requiescat In Pace
    I've had a cold all week, so I've been lazy about keeping up with AW. So I missed all the fun. Rats!

I really hope ParaDon hooks up with The Write Agenda. They deserve each other. TWA has slightly better grammar, so maybe the ParaDon dude will learn something. (I wouldn't take bets, though.)

Hey, guess what? The Price of Freedom actually got recognized today by a new contest for "traditionally published" genre fiction. This never happened to me before! It won for 2011 Fantasy novel. Can you believe it? Nice of them not to discriminate against a tie-in.

(Oh, and it was published by Disney, ParaDon. Not exactly self-published. Though what's wrong with that???)

Here's the link, if anyone's interested. http://forwardliteratureaward.com/20...d_Results.html

If I'm not supposed to share good news here, then please delete this post. But I confess to being surprised and delighted.

-Ann C. Crispin
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom
    Disney Editins

S'okay, Celina, all you ultimately missed was a fish in a barrel.

It was pretty hilarious. I'm sure that IW can't stay away for long. In fact, allow me to poke a stick at IW's universe:

I'm not known as a writer, but as an artist. My artwork is text-based, and collected by ten major universities including U.C.L.A. and Yale. I have a lowly AA degree in technical writing. In my day job I write ad-copy and edit for technical professionals. I've sold one short story to a respected anthology. My recent fiction was good enough to get a pat on the head from a senior editor at a major publishing house. Any problems I've had getting an agent are my own fault, and I'm working on them. They will not be solved by throwing money at some fly-by-night scam publisher with fewer ethics than Jack Abramoff and Bernie Madoff combined.

Flounce back, baby, and give me your best shot!

Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
    Congratulations, Ann!
    Ghost : Christmas Past. With beta!
    Spirit : Christmas Present. 13,038 words.

'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    Hurray, and congratulations, Ann!

I was an English minor and came thisclose to graduating with a double minor in Journalism. I've done a little editing, written a LOT of ad copy, some boring technical documents, ghostwrote for the spokescharacter for a retailer, and had a TV-tie in book and some fiction published. Or am I confusing the ad copy with the fiction? ;-) At any rate, I have never had to pay an editor to consider my work. Heck, they even pick up the bar tab. (What muscles! )

Today is your last day. FOTSGreg's Avatar
    A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
    I actually saw the announcement of this one from our dear friend Victoria Straus on FaceBook this evening (after watching Supernatural). I missed all the action and, technically, I ain't qualified to be heres neither (I am 1 semester shy of a BS in Biology, wrote for newspapers for over 10 years (won some awards for it too), have a DD and PhD (email order from Universal Life Church which means those pieces of paper and $5 will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks (the DD's legal in all 50 states as are the ministerial credentials), did tech writing for almost 15 years, and desktop and self-pubb'd for almost 15 years during the mid-90s/early ’00’s, plus my novel, a collection, and 10 short stories self-pubb'd on Amazon so far this year (with 2-3 more shorts and another novel in the pipeline already).

So's, I is self-pubb'd and not a Engrish professorial typage with not even the quals t' dip me toes in the water. I could bartend for ya'll though.

"Just once, I'd like the chance to shoot at a educated man."

I'm actually happy these things occur every once in awhile. They make my own AW gaffs seem trivial by comparison.
    Last edited by FOTSGreg; 11-19-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Find my books on Smashwords at https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/fotsgreg
    Find my books on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/G.W.-Ellis/e/B...805&sr=1-2-ent
    WIPs: Dark Horizons, Hivers, The Bar, Gated

Banned for Trolling

Richard White's Books are the shit!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard White View Post
    This should prove amusing.

<Mr. Burns> Excellent</Mr. Burns>
    Rest assured, Richard White's books are shit, they don't sell, he spends his time on these whiny-ass loser sites, he can't market his books, for the life of him, or his pathetic prose; he sucks hind tit as much as his books. He's a loser and suckles the breasts of Ann Crispin and Victoria Strauss; a Writer Beware want-to-be. Yeh, Crispin, you know the one that just "won" that "award." What a joke. Come on Ann, do something real. Impress us Ann. This award is so lame for an author of your stature.

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    *ding*

Round Two!
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go Gravity's Avatar
    Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
    Hot diggity dog! I KNEW this thread wasn't done!
    Cameron Bane

PITFALL now out through WildBlue Press, August 2015

www.cameronbanebooks.com

Awee :-( This is the second troll-wollop I've missed.

Wording!
    WTF?
    POISON AND WINE on sale for Kindle and Nook!
    www.chvalentino.com

Oh, and also this:

I'm starting a petition to have one of these games installed in every forum. Then we can give trolls all the love and attention the crave. One. Whack. At. A. Time.

A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
    And the bell rings for the opening of the next round. First out on the mat is NYC Writer 001 who swings wildly, laying about him with all the care of a 1st grader in a playground fight. Pow! He strikes out at Richard White. Bam! He throws a punch at Ann Crispin. Socko! He kicks at Victoria Strauss.

Now entering the ring, however, are opponents whom NYC Writer 001 has never envisaged facing in all his or her short history. I hope he's prepared, because the opponents he's about to face are formidable indeed.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, our first of the second round...

Find my books on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/G.W.-Ellis/e/B...805&sr=1-2-ent

Wording!
    Cyia, I'm still stuck on "breast suckling"
    POISON AND WINE on sale for Kindle and Nook!
    www.chvalentino.com

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    It's "Nick Caruso". Check his previous posts.

Medievalist, I'm not anonymous. My name is Nick Caruso. Did your parents really name you "Medievalist" or is that something that you just hide behind? I'm anonymous? Sure, I'm new and working on my...
    A.K.A. Bouncing Bobby Fletcher of Strategic Books and Write Agenda.

Writing Addict & Proud Of It A.R. Starr's Avatar
    Oh yay! I didn't miss all the fun! *brings out popcorn to share*
    Happy Birthday, Alexander! Born at 1:10 AM on the 26th of May - 25 years and 23 hours after I was born!

My name is Ann. I also answer to "North". Long story.

Pages of Fantasy - My writing blog

Imagination is more important then knowledge. ~ Albert Einstein.

Writing can be a dream, or a nightmare. Either way, see it through to the end ~ My personal feelings on writing.

I think it says something important about the room culture that you guys would rather whack the piņata, so no one reports the post.

Hee!

(Just for the record? I have one of Richard's self-pupped comics, and a couple of his tie-in books. He's a quite good writer. And self-pubbing indie comics was sort of the state-of-the-art, for a long, long time.)
    Last edited by MacAllister; 11-19-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Crispin View Post
    Hey, guess what? The Price of Freedom actually got recognized today by a new contest for "traditionally published" genre fiction. This never happened to me before! It won for 2011 Fantasy novel. Can you believe it? Nice of them not to discriminate against a tie-in.
    That's super!

Also post in Goals, and Tweet it so I can re-tweet. That's terribly promising news for a lot of good books by good authors that are tie-ins.

AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

I miss the mountains.... Requiescat In Pace
    Mother of gods. I go away from this site for a couple of hours, and all sorts of weirdness happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAllister View Post
    I think it says something important about the room culture that you guys would rather whack the piņata, so no one reports the post.

Hee!

I reported the post.

*haz disappointed Mac*

*hangs head in shame*

Writing Addict & Proud Of It A.R. Starr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MacAllister View Post
    Call it stress relief?
    Happy Birthday, Alexander! Born at 1:10 AM on the 26th of May - 25 years and 23 hours after I was born!

My name is Ann. I also answer to "North". Long story.

Pages of Fantasy - My writing blog

Imagination is more important then knowledge. ~ Albert Einstein.

Writing can be a dream, or a nightmare. Either way, see it through to the end ~ My personal feelings on writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyia View Post
    I reported the post.

*haz disappointed Mac*

*hangs head in shame*
    Not at all! In fact, I'm sorta encouraged. <g> It's the right thing to do -- even if it's not as much fun as playing with your prey...

V, it's always been one of the reasons I come back to AW. There's always something to make me laugh waiting just around the end of the current or the next thread.

The pros, semi-pros, and others here are a constant source of amazement, inspiration, excitement, and amusement for this jaded old sob.

Even when I manage to piss Mac off (by being a bigger sob than I usually am).

Last edited by FOTSGreg; 11-19-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC_Writer_001 View Post
    Rest assured, Richard White's books are shit, they don't sell, he spends his time on these whiny-ass loser sites, he can't market his books, for the life of him, or his pathetic prose; he sucks hind tit as much as his books. He's a loser and suckles the breasts of Ann Crispin and Victoria Strauss; a Writer Beware want-to-be. Yeh, Crispin, you know the one that just "won" that "award." What a joke. Come on Ann, do something real. Impress us Ann. This award is so lame for an author of your stature.
    *yawn*

Wow, you step away for a bit to take care of some stuff and look at what happens. Someone not even involved in the incident decides to step in and completely shoot themselves in the foot in a manner that makes ol' IW seem like a reasonably competent sockpuppet.

"Nick", it's a Friday evening before a holiday, and it's obvious you've been in the vino again. Seriously, posting on a bulletin board drunk is a bad thing, no matter what the rest of the guys in the frat house think.

Course, if you're really Bouncing Bobby, then I've seen tons of your fiction - it's called the letters you send to the people you're trying to rip off under your 1001 fictitious names. How's that whole Write Agenda thing going for you?

Although this letter, if from Bobby, is a tad more aggressive than he was when we met face to face at BEA a few years ago. Then, when he thought he might lure me in as a customer, he was quite genteel in his conversation.

Either way, I rate it a *meh* on the scale of internet insulting.

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillhoughly View Post
    It's "Nick Caruso". Check his previous posts.

A.K.A. Bouncing Bobby Fletcher of Strategic Books and Write Agenda.
    Yeah, the breast-and-nursing-fetish is a dead giveaway.

Still makes me snicker that the dude could miss a name as euphonious as mine, and one that's on Every Single Post I've Ever Made.

AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast