• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

ParaDon Books Publishing / Amazon Book Clubs

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
What a beautiful thread. I'm just sorry I missed this opportunity to reply:
I'm awaiting the resume of every self-promoting don't-know-nothing people that's bashing this revolutionary publisher. I myself have submitted my story to them, and will be back in the future to 'Promote my published book' in this same forum. I'm still waiting for that resume that proves you know English grammar more than me. Please respond
I'm right and I know it. I don't need credentials.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I love the "self-promoting" bit, considering that anyone published by this merry band of illiterates will have to self-promote like mad to boost their sales into double figures.

Richard/Celina/Intelligentwriter: if you're still lurking, we need to know the names of your editors and cover artists. We'd also appreciate an explanation for why a newspaper mogul and a newspaper columnist are invisible to Google. At the moment I'm inclined to think that you're all the same person and that this mysterious newspaper is a figment of your imagination. :crazy:

Mods, have you heard from ParaDon's cartooney yet? Or are you battening down the hatches in preparation for ParaDon's cyber-attack?

Last edited:

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Interestingly, the ebooks currently being published by "Paradon" are nearly all by apparently genuine self-help author Charles F Wetherall, and appear to be reissues of books from as far back as the late 80s:

http://cheapdietbooks.com/Paradon_Publishing.html

Has this new vanity press bought up an existing company? Have they duped an elderly doctor into being their first customer? I'd be pretty miffed if I were Charles Wetherall!

(Assuming Mr Wetherall isn't the "brains" behind Paradon - why claim to be a newspaper mogul if you are really a successful diet guru?)

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that's the same company. Paradon Publishing seems to have been in business for a few years, ParaDon Books Publishing hasn't published anything yet (and probably never will). I expect the jokers we're discussing used "ParaDon" to distinguish themselves from the older company.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Man, I go to DC to see the Anglo-Saxon hoard and miss the juicy parts of this!

OTOH, Anglo- Saxon gold. Don't see that everyday.

Last edited:

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think they are the same company.

Paradon Publishing seems to be in Minnestota, while ParaDon Books is in Montana.

Plus there seems to be a persistent difference in the capitalization, and the use of "Books" vs "Publishing" as the second word.

Edited to Add: There's no way that Paradon Publishing and ParaDon Books are the same company
http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/product-compint-0000705699-page.html
http://www.linkedin.com/in/charleswetherall

I wonder if someone should warn Mr. Wetherall about this other company with such a similar name appearing and making such a bad impression on people?

Last edited:

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I wonder if someone should warn Mr. Wetherall about this other company with such a similar name appearing and making such a bad impression on people?

I think someone should notify Paradon Publishing (if they don't already know) that a Google of their company name also brings up results for ParaDon.

In the UK, making yourself appear to be another company is called "passing off" and is illegal.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I can't find an e-mail address for the other Paradon. Perhaps someone in the USA could telephone Mr Wetherall?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
In the UK, making yourself appear to be another company is called "passing off" and is illegal.

It's not legal in any jurisdiction in the US, either, as far as I know (and potentially a violation of some federal trade regulations if a given state doesn't have any laws about it).

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Charles Wetherall is the owner/president of Paradon Publishing. His blog is here and may be the easiest way of contacting him. Judging by his blog, he's completely literate. In fact, his writing is quite compelling. That in itself tells us he has nothing at all to do with ParaDon Books Publishing.

Adding: Yup, his blog includes his email contact details. Filigree, do you want to do the honours?

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Considering they're using a different full name and have capitalized one of the internal letters in the first word, and they've not claimed to be the other, it doesn't seem that's an issue legally. The other publisher would probably be cheesed, and could threaten them, but it doesn't look like they're doing anything obviously illegal.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our logo is actually ‘Welcome to the future of publishing, exactly where you can actually judge a book by its cover,’ because we all know that a picture can tell a thousand words. I am looking for the purpose of manuscripts with good characterization plus a fresh voice; the kind of stories that may become the future’s classics.
Definitely ESL.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
The person behind ParaDon in Great Falls, Montana is Celina Marka. Her picture is on the website's submissions page, along with the still uncorrected grammar.

Please check previous posts in the thread. This is from #5 by Momento Mori.http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=10268

ParaDon Books Website:
cmarka: I will review your short story for a possible publication with ParaDon Books for $5
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Celina Marka; Acquisition Editor
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]​ "Here's a quick tip for all you writers out there; make sure your story have a good structure, intriguing plot, interesting dialogues, smooth pace, and one unforgettable character. I look forward to reading your submissions."[/FONT]

I'm considering that she meant to call it "ParaGon," but got the spelling wrong or found this on Google http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paragon_Publishing

A paradon is a bowed string instrument;

Also a Canadian computer store: http://www.paradon.com/ ;

Also the accusative singular of parado in Esperanto (according to Wiki).

parado: Adjective parado m (feminine parada, masculine plural parados, feminine plural paradas)

1. stopped, halted, immobile
  2. standing
  3. unemployed
  4. (slang, Mexico) erected (a penis, when using masculine nouns, preceded by verb tener or traer)
    1. Ese lo trae parado = That guy has an erection.

No comment on the last one.

It is reasonable to conclude that she is unconnected with any business of a similar/same name in the UK. If any of this makes it to Preditors and Editors, then the listing should include a notation to that effect.

The vibe I get is she is clueless, unpublished, unqualified amateur hoping to score some cash and get an egoboo by telling strangers she's a publisher. The education credentials and claims to having a staff of editors and artists are doubtful, being on a level with the exaggerations one might see on dating sites.

I can truthfully state I went to MIT. Which I did.

I passed through the campus looking for a coffee shop.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Oh, oh, Gil! I toured the Custer Museum at Ft. Riley, got (amazingly) drunk with some old friends from the actual base there, and also toured the 45th Infantry Division Museum in Oklahoma City. Doesn't that mean I'm a Veteran? I've used the Doe Library at UC-Berkeley. I must be an alumni.

Hey, since the Custer Museum is named after George Armstrong Custer, and I've been there, I could claim to be a member of the 7th Cavalry, right?

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
It is reasonable to conclude that she is unconnected with any business of a similar/same name in the UK. If any of this makes it to Preditors and Editors, then the listing should include a notation to that effect.
The other company with a similar name but no connection is in Minnesota, not UK. (edit: at least the one we found out about. For all I know, there may be a UK one as well.)

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Considering they're using a different full name and have capitalized one of the internal letters in the first word, and they've not claimed to be the other, it doesn't seem that's an issue legally.

I think it would depend on how much of a fuss Paradon Publishing wanted to make. It's not like you can start a soda company and call it PepSi Drinks and hope to avoid static from Pepsi. "ParaDon Books Publishing" is pretty close to "Paradon Publishing," after all.

In any case, I agree 100% that it's important for all of us to make the distinction clear for as long as ParaDon is around. Which I don't imagine will be long.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
I can truthfully state I went to MIT. Which I did.

I passed through the campus looking for a coffee shop.

Oh, wait, that's our benchmark? Ok, in that case I've also been to the universities of:

Oxford, Cambridge, Newcastle, Birmingham (medical school no less), Manchester (all 3 of them), Warwick, Coventry, Edinburgh, Glasgow and a few others :)

Actually, I've been to concerts or theatre productions at all of these, worked at a couple of them and had a formal dinner with the Chancellor and his wife at one of them... But I am now so claiming them as universities I have attended now :)

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wait, that's our benchmark? Ok, in that case I've also been to the universities of:

Oxford, Cambridge, Newcastle, Birmingham (medical school no less), Manchester (all 3 of them), Warwick, Coventry, Edinburgh, Glasgow and a few others :)

Actually, I've been to concerts or theatre productions at all of these, worked at a couple of them and had a formal dinner with the Chancellor and his wife at one of them... But I am now so claiming them as universities I have attended now :)
Attended?? You had dinner with a Chancellor. You just earned yourself tenure.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The person behind ParaDon in Great Falls, Montana is Celina Marka. Her picture is on the website's submissions page, along with the still uncorrected grammar.
I saw the name and picture on the website, but I reckoned it may mean nothing more than a random picture and a random name. Celina Marka may be no more real than Egland the media mogul. A google search for Celina Marka doesn't throw up anything.