The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Bradley Publishing

Bradley Publishing

I couldn't find a thread for this publisher, and didn't see them listed in the big sticky thread. They've just posted a call on the ERWA site.

Does anyone know anything about them?

http://www.bradleypublishings.com/

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    It opened for submissions on 14th November 2011 but has 2 books listed as being due for release (couldn't see when those books were out or whether they were already out and that information should be on the site as it goes to sales).

Bit confused that they describe themselves as an electronic publisher but have a link for a print store so that should be clarified.

Also I'd prefer it if they put their royalty rates up front with details on how the net is calculated (as most electronic publishers seem to pay on net) and I'd want to know exactly which sites books will be available to buy from.

Otherwise all the standard caveats about lack of obvious publishing experience, distribution, etc etc etc.

MM

smart enough to know better
    Had a peek at their contract, which isn't bad. Royalties are 45% for ebook and 8% for POD. I forget whether or not it's net or gross. They are very, very new. Give them some time and see what transpires.

practical experience, FTW eward's Avatar
    I wanted to add that my friend has a book coming out today from Bradley Publishing. It's on Amazon without any reviews, so it doesn't seem like they do any advance copies for review. She also told me that they offer print copies, but they haven't done any yet. She's like the seventh author published by them and I guess the paperback goes in order of contract so she may be waiting a while.

Last I heard, they have about 8 books out now, with a bunch more to come. I think they are waiting to see how their current books fare before they go to print. I haven't checked any of their books on amazon lately, but maybe I will.

practical experience, FTW
    From what I know: Husband and wife team. Jennifer Bradley is an author. Other than that I've heard nothing.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    The covers look very amateurish. They don't inspire confidence.

Today is your last day. FOTSGreg's Avatar
    A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
    Okay, Mustafa, I'm curious. What seems amateurish about their covers in your opinion (note that mine ain't much better)?

This is not a dig. I'm seeking information.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by FOTSGreg View Post
    Okay, Mustafa, I'm curious. What seems amateurish about their covers in your opinion (note that mine ain't much better)?

This is not a dig. I'm seeking information.
    I didn't want to bash the press, or the specific covers, but I sent you a pm. I think you'll find most people here will see those covers as amateurish.

practical experience, FTW eternalised's Avatar
    Their website doesn't look very professional to me. The banner is too large and looks blurry. Their logo looks amateurish. But I could forgive them all of that if at least their covers look professional. They don't. Anyone with a basic grasp of photoshop can do it (I doubt even a basic grasp is required though). It's especially the fonts that look out of place and sometimes unreadable.

Reading the message on their homepage, the website looks geared towards authors, not readers. They talk about their author/publisher relationship. Another red flag for me.

They have a shop on their website, but in my opinion it's extremely hard to find. There don't seem to be any links in the navigation leading to it (or else I missed it). I wonder why they have a page called bestsellers if it's empty. Also, how will they classify anything as being a bestseller? Their news page looks rather amateurish as well. Just a bunch of lines declaring new releases. Was a blog too much to ask? Or a bit more information about the release? This looks to me as if they don't do a whole lot of promotion.

They also publish a lot of genres - in my opinion, way too many for such a small press. Promoting mystery novels is hardly the same as promotion erotica, not to mention they have young adult novels as well...I don't understand why they have all these different word counts for each genre on their submissions page, making it a lot more complicated than it should be (and why the 30k words mark for YA, which is the highest of all the ones mentioned) but that's more personal preference.

I doubt they do much promotion for their books. While their editing skills may be good (I have no idea, haven't purchased one of titles yet) I see little or no promo efforts on their behalf.

Their "meet the editors" pages talk about their editors. I don't have the time to skim through them all, but what about their publicist? Cover artist? Anyway, the last three pages are empty as well - I'm guessing the info still has to be updated. Also, what about the publisher? Do they have any credentials prior to establishing Bradley Publishing?

Note: the shop is under 'books'. I found it now. I still think 'shop' would be clearer.
    Visit my website.

Who let this guy in...? JohnnyGottaKeyboard's Avatar
    On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter grew too loud...
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalised View Post
    Reading the message on their homepage, the website looks geared towards authors, not readers. They talk about their author/publisher relationship. Another red flag for me.
    That was what popped right out at me. Shouldn't the home page be about selling books rather than recruiting authors? Most would-be authors know enough to click on "Submissions" if they are looking for a publisher. Tho, in fairness, eternalized, they do appear to have buy links for their books down toward the bottom of the homepage.

I didn't hate the covers. I've certainly seen worse. (And, full disclosure, for both my books at least one reviewer has knocked my covers! )
    Last edited by JohnnyGottaKeyboard; 04-24-2012 at 03:24 PM.

~ Lambda Literary Award Finalist

"Best Gay Mystery 2015"

(I tweet, badly.)

practical experience, FTW eternalised's Avatar
    I didn't see the links at the bottom. My bad for not scrolling down all the way.
    Visit my website.

Yep, I'd prefer that the home page throw books in my face.

Today is your last day. FOTSGreg's Avatar
    A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
    Mustafa, thanks for the pm. It answered my question.

To my eye the cover for "Concession" is the only decent cover (and there're things there I'd change too).

The latest news on this company is that they are closing shop due to lack of book sales. I know of one author who pulled out early this year, because it was clear to her that the company had no idea how to promote her book. Always have a care with a new company.

practical experience, FTW c2ckim's Avatar

Are they closing?

Is Bradley Publishing closing? They were still up today. Please let me know, thanks
    www.roguephoenixpress.com 3/25/09 The Darkness Within July 25, 2009
    Meghan's Legacy- Sept.1, 2009; Shadow Chaser- Jan 2010- Witness- Feb 1, 2010 ;Legacy of Murder- April 2010; Secrets and Lies, July 2010; The Prophet out in Oct- Bucks County Publishing; The Unknown Son- Rogue Phoenix Press- out in Oct.
    Avalon Books- No One To Hear You Scream coming out Dec 2010
    Web page: www.kjdahlen.com

They have closed and given rights back to their authors, including the covers.