threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
Thoughts????

Don't know why, exactly, but I've been looking forward to this date.

I think, if I have to write a hopefully soon to be extinct, paper check that I'll keep writing 11-11-11 for a few days....

It seems more simple than 11-12-11 or 11-13-11.

SinisterCola

The Caffeine Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I know people who are getting married, thinking 11 is the lucky lottery number, etc. Today is my brother's birthday so he's uber excited :D

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
For some superstitious belief systems, 11-11-11 means everyone is number one at everything they do.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently many were expecting 'weird stuff' to happen at 11am*... trouble is, I think many of these people forgot that 11 occurs at a different time of day for different parts of the world so if the world was going to end or aliens appear at 11am (or 11:11am) they would have to have chosen what time zone this was in :)

*Apart from the traditional 2 min silence, of course...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
For a very, very, short time in my life (just barely long enough to check out a library book), I confused number theory with numerology. I kept thinking "this use of numbers is making absolutely no sense!"

gotchan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gordonrhorne.wordpress.com
I got an email from Writer's Digest this morning

The Day You've Been Waiting for
No, not 11/11/11…

OUR WAREHOUSE
SALE OF THE CENTURY!
November 11th is Remembrance Day. I just thought this was a little tacky, especially with the big red type and WD's red, round logo. It arrived just before 11 am, in time for the two minutes of silence.

I know any offense is unintentional, but WD has gotten so tacky these last few years. It's disappointing.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Soooo, where's the eggplant? :Shrug:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
On the 2010 Remembrance Day, I was sitting outside the coffee shop I often go to. A guy I hardly knew was sitting near me, talking to me.

He had speech and body difficulties - I think he'd had a stroke at some point. But he also seemed to be a bit of a jerk, and didn't say appropriate things most of the time.

So the minute of silence starts, and I shut up, and he just keeps saying things. People were shooshing him, I was glaring at him, but still he'd just say something in his brash voice, wait 10 seconds for me to reply, then when I said nothing he'd say something else.

I was so embarrassed to be the person he was talking to. I barely even knew the guy, and I didn't like him in any case.

But I didn't want to tell him to shut up and point out the minute of silence for 2 reasons.

1. That would've meant I was talking too, which I didn't think was right.
2. He wouldn't have shut up. I knew him well enough to know that.

Made me so mad.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thoughts????

Don't know why, exactly, but I've been looking forward to this date.

I think, if I have to write a hopefully soon to be extinct, paper check that I'll keep writing 11-11-11 for a few days....

It seems more simple than 11-12-11 or 11-13-11.

We've already had it. Nothing happened. Well, a baby was born at 11 minutes past eleven in Hawkesbury Hospital - but nothing else happened. A lot like Y2K, actually. Which is good, because I hadn't vacuumed. If the world is going to end I want to have vacuumed first.

ETA: It looks like a perfectly nice baby, but not the messiah or anything...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. Speak and there he is...

I mentioned the stroke guy who talked during last Remembrance Day, then went and tried to catch the bus to work. (Well, bus then train then bus, but I digress.)

So my first bus is 10 minutes late, and I'm getting peeved. It finally gets there, and then it stops at the next stop - to pick up stroke guy!

I should've known it for the omen it was. I missed my train. :(

Fortunately, I caught the next train, got to the next bus place with 1 minute to spare - and then unfortunately THAT bus was 30 minutes late! @#@#$@%

So I made it to work - barely - on time, when I should've had a stress-free morning. So I was stressed at work, and had a horrible time.

THANKS A LOT STROKE GUY!!!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. Speak and there he is...

I mentioned the stroke guy who talked during last Remembrance Day, then went and tried to catch the bus to work. (Well, bus then train then bus, but I digress.)

So my first bus is 10 minutes late, and I'm getting peeved. It finally gets there, and then it stops at the next stop - to pick up stroke guy!

I should've known it for the omen it was. I missed my train. :(

Fortunately, I caught the next train, got to the next bus place with 1 minute to spare - and then unfortunately THAT bus was 30 minutes late! @#@#$@%

So I made it to work - barely - on time, when I should've had a stress-free morning. So I was stressed at work, and had a horrible time.

THANKS A LOT STROKE GUY!!!

Cl-i-i-i-i-ff - you know I love you, but don't call him stroke-guy. You know we're all just one stroke away from being stroke-guy, right?

Blame Public Transport :) That's what I do ... ;)

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Cl-i-i-i-i-ff - you know I love you, but don't call him stroke-guy. You know we're all just one stroke away from being stroke-guy, right?

Blame Public Transport :) That's what I do ... ;)

I was thinking much the same thing about calling him that.

But honestly, I can't remember his name, and what the stroke did to him is his biggest defining feature.

But I retract all name-calling. I'll call him Fluffy instead.

I mentioned Fluffy, then went out, then he was there. The end.