Life After PA

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
So on Jan. 2, 2013 my contract with PA terminates and it was only just yesterday, after a year of badgering via e-mail, that I got PA to acknowledge in writing that they received my "non-renewal notice" so no matter what, as of Jan. 3, 2013 I am finally and fully free of those "people".

Several months back, I had sent them notice that I considered the contract null and void because of several breaches by PA - no royalty check or report since March 2008, refusal to allow me access to their records, audits, etc. I even provided them with several examples of people with my book in their possession with no royalties received by me and they gave me the old: You have no proof because we say so even though it is right in front of our face, so there!!! routine.

I figure I will keep e-mailing them everyday asking for the release until we hit Jan. 3, 2013 or they finally give up and give it to me.

I have already begun to improve on the manuscript and will have it formatted to be placed online as an e-book with two of my short stories that have done ok. I am betting I will see 100x more money once it goes over there than I got from PA.

Does this sound like a solid plan to you guys? I don't want to try to market it to a traditional publisher with the baggage it will have on it from having been a PA book, but I also want to see it get out and be read by more people than my family and friends.

The good news is I will likely finish my next book soon and it will go to an agent first and foremost. So lesson learned.

At any rate, I'd be interested in hearing what others have done with their books once they pried them free from the evil clutches of ScamAmerica. (Ok, so I'm still a little bitter)

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
The good news is I will likely finish my next book soon and it will go to an agent first and foremost. So lesson learned.

Glad to hear you are continuing to write and moving forward.

There IS life after PA. I have self-published the book I originally sent to PA (after paying to have my rights returned and the novel undergoing several rounds of edits). It was intended to be part of a trilogy and I have self-pubbed the other two books, as well. I have made more than one hundred times the number of sales than when the book was being "published" through PA.

You can read about my self-publishing experience here on AW in the self-publishing forum, if you are interested.

PA lurkers, you can do much more for your book than PA will ever do for it and it won't cost you your soul, or a ton of money via "special offers."

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Glad to hear you are continuing to write and moving forward.

There IS life after PA. I have self-published the book I originally sent to PA (after paying to have my rights returned and the novel undergoing several rounds of edits). It was intended to be part of a trilogy and I have self-pubbed the other two books, as well. I have made more than one hundred times the number of sales than when the book was being "published" through PA.

You can read about my self-publishing experience here on AW in the self-publishing forum, if you are interested.

PA lurkers, you can do much more for your book than PA will ever do for it and it won't cost you your soul, or a ton of money via "special offers."

Thanks Merri,

I should probably stick with e-publishing as that seems to be the way things are going, but I love to read and I tried out my wife's Kindle and hated it. Something about the feel of a several hundred page, printed on paper, book that I have to have when I read.

We'll see, maybe by the time I'm ready to publish I may just go with e-publishing and see what happens.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I wasn't trying to encourage you to e-publish or self-publish, just saying that what PA offers is much less than what a writer can do for themselves.

I was a diehard paper book fan until I began reading books on the Kindle app on my iPad. Never thought I'd say that! Ha!

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
Scribe, my biggest advice to you is to write everyday. Learn to be a better storyteller and writer.

My second advice is to submit to real publishers, ones that show up in book stores. The best place to look for a publisher is in the books you see on the shelves of the smallest book store you can find.

Lastly, don't forget why you write. I did that. PA can suck the fun out of creating new worlds and adventures. Don't let anyone kill that desire to entertain.

Just some thoughts from one who traveled your path. Good luck.

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Allen,

I am definitely going to keep on writing, that is one thing PA can never take away from me.

But there are days when I wouldn't shed a tear if I heard an asteroid landed right on top of PA's main building, lol.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
Allen,

I am definitely going to keep on writing, that is one thing PA can never take away from me.

But there are days when I wouldn't shed a tear if I heard an asteroid landed right on top of PA's main building, lol.

Sure, you are in California. it wouldn't effect you. I live in Virginia. We share a bay created by a big rock crashing into the states. Remember the dinosaurs? :)

Scribe4264

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Sure, you are in California. it wouldn't effect you. I live in Virginia. We share a bay created by a big rock crashing into the states. Remember the dinosaurs? :)

LOL. Sorry. Make it a very small asteroid, just big enough to take out a building.