Margins in Word vs. Open Office????

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, y'all.
:hi:

I normally use MS Word all the time (I have the 2003 version), but to publish something on Lulu, first you have to convert your document into a PDF through Open Office (there's another option on Lulu for converting to a PDF, but this is the option I'm using at the moment because it's easier for me...).

When I go to open my Word document in Open Office, I have noticed that it changes the margins I had set when it was in Word! :mad: This then affects how the document looks when printed on Lulu.

My question is: Is there a way to keep my formatting when opening a Word file in Open Office?

And how do I change the margins in Open Office? There is no "Page Setup" option under the File tab like there is in Word.

ANY help or input will be very much appreciated.

peace

 
Registered
Reaction score
Open Office may have some other unexpected results (spacing, styling, etc). MS Word 2007 comes with a "Save As PDF" option, if you can get to a local library or something. Otherwise, I'd definitely recommend using a print-driver like doPDF

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Try PDF995 ($9.95 pdf-maker, works easily with Word). But you'll need to tweak a setting to embed fonts. If you have trouble finding the setting, contact their tech support.

The one fly in the ointment might be that you need to crop the pages, which I do not believe PDF995 does (might now . . . not sure).

Lulu used to (still does?) let you upload .doc (Word file) and it would convert to pdf. That usually worked ok, although I prefer the certainty of making and uploading pdf myself.

--Ken

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yeah, sounds like "first you have to convert your document into a PDF through Open Office" is the fly in the ointment. :) This may be easier for you compared with Lulu but it's not the only way to make a PDF.

I installed the free version of PrimoPDF years ago, which gave me a virtual printer of the same name, so I can "print" to a PDF from MS Word or anywhere else.

-Derek

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Yeah, sounds like "first you have to convert your document into a PDF through Open Office" is the fly in the ointment.. . .
And weird. Makes no sense. See http://www.pdf995.com/ . They keep making more features available. There is even a free (ad supported) version.

"We support Windows 7; Vista; XP; Citrix/Terminal Server; configuration as a shared network printer; Server 2008; Windows 2003; and Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0, 2000 and ME. We support Windows 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems."

--Ken

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
You can also print as a PDF from Word. You just download the free Primo PDF and it works great.
That is what PDF995 does, too (free or paid version). It simply becomes another printer in the list, printing to PDF. I've used it for several books printed via Lulu. I do not understand an assertion that it is necessary to take a detour through Open Office. It is not necessary.

--Ken

Last edited:

PeteDutcher

Twitter: @petedutcherjr
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
That is what PDF995 does, too (free or paid version). It simply becomes another printer in the list, printing to PDF. I've used it for several books printed via Lulu. I do not understand an assertion that it is necessary to take a detour through Open Office. It is not necessary.

--Ken

Not to mention, when it comes to eBook conversion, Open Office adds a lot of fluff that can cause your book to be rejected by various retailers.

Incidently, when writing an eBook, make sure you check the bookmarks. Word creates extra ones that throw conversion off.

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, you guys all rock!
:Hug2:

Derek, thank you so much for the link. I downloaded the free PrimoPDF, and it works great. It took me a while to figure out how to use the program, but once I did, it was SOOOO much easier than doing it with Open Office. I never liked going through Open Office anyway, so this awesome.

Thanks for the help, everyone!
:e2flowers