• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Magazine] The Washington Pastime

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
I know. I was actually more happy about it than sad (which seems strange considering it's a rejection.) It didn't even sting that bad.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I subbed to them recently just to see, because I heard about a someone receiving a real personal R. I also received one, though I don't agree with the editor, at least he didn't tell me I had "uneven prose."

So maybe they're changing their ways. Now we just need them to be upfront about their token payment and how they judge what a story is worth.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
As defcon mentioned, I also had an acceptance and was offered $2.50. I like the look of the publication but I did only submit because they advertised pro-rates. I think if they are offering token they shouldn't pop up on duotrope searches as a pro-rate market.

I might have more to add to this at a later date, I am currently awaiting a response on a week old contract query...

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted 3 or 4 stories to them over the last 6 months. All rejections, but they were prompt, complimentary and "uneven prose" bit never reared its ugly head.

However, having recently learned what their actual pay rates are, I will hold off from submitting there anymore. I don't have a problem with token pay markets, but I do have an issue with bait-and-switch advertising of higher rates.

Robert M

Bob M
Registered
Reaction score
Late to this thread, but I've submitted two. The first brought back the dreaded "uneven prose" response, which ironically I took so seriously I completely reworked the story and paid a pro to critique it. It was published shortly thereafter.

The second one they sat on for a while, which was odd based on decent response times. It had a more personalized response, or what I took as one, praising it but not wanting it.

I'd submit another unclear rates notwithstanding. I like the tone and humor of their stuff. Their volumes on Duotrope indicate at least a lot of writers are reading.

Bob
New Guy on AbsoluteWrite

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Late to this thread, but I've submitted two. The first brought back the dreaded "uneven prose" response, which ironically I took so seriously I completely reworked the story and paid a pro to critique it. It was published shortly thereafter.

Congrats on that acceptance, and welcome!

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
I'm late to the game, but wanted to say that I recently received the obligatory "uneven prose" rejection.

Saddening.

WordCount

Registered
Reaction score
Starting to sound more like a form than a personal, to me.

Anyone second this notion?

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Next time someone receives the "uneven prose" R they should format their document in MS Word to Justify (to have straight aligned borders on both sides) and resubmit :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Starting to sound more like a form than a personal, to me.

Anyone second this notion?
That's what we've been saying (look up thread). Pretty much all of us, at one time or another, has received the "uneven prose" line. They are not as personable as they appear to be, just like how they're not truly a pro-paying market.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score

alvin123

Author of Hell to Pay (Blood for S)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alvinjatwater.com
I have had three r's from them, the first two were personals with specific plot points mentioned and the last was one of the weird "uneven prose" forms.

My feeling is they got too popular because of their pay-rates and quick turnaround and have tried to slow submissions by switching to forms and hiding their pay rates. The weird forms started coming after they had a giant gap in their duotrope response times making me think they were scratching around for slush readers.

I got the uneven prose thing too. It's really just a form imo, cleverly disguised. ;_; But yeah, I'll try these guys again later..

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Alvin - I encourage you to read about my experiences in the blog post I mentioned above. I think our posts crossed in the space-time continuum. Or something...

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Duotrope currently won't change their listing for this market. Even thought they admitted the following in an email to me:

"After contacting the editor and having a discussion with him, we feel that our listing is accurate. While they do primarily pay token rates, they have paid out pro rates as well."

This is absurd. Due to the fact TWP lists itself as accepting every genre, this market shows up in EVERY search for a pro market of DT. Even though they "PRIMARILY PAY TOKEN RATES" and no author who had been accepted that I have spoken to, including myself, has ever been offered more than $2.50.

Please write to DT about this if you have subbed to this market under the impression they pay pro.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Bump.

C'mon guys, if ever you wanted to complain about something, this is the opportunity to do. Washington Pastime is NOT a pro-paying market, and duotrope needs to realize it.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, either form or email. Or you could tell Project Deadlight that you have a complaint and he can include it in his report to them.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I'm one of the people who received an acceptance and will be paid $2.50. Sure, I wish it were more. But I'm a little confused about why the duotrope listing isn't considered correct. If it says plainly that the pay ranges from token to professional, and they do occasionally pay pro rates, why is that so bad? It's not like they are saying they *always* pay pro.

I imagine there are plenty of markets on duotrope that are similar.

JMHO.

Carol

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I'm one of the people who received an acceptance and will be paid $2.50. Sure, I wish it were more. But I'm a little confused about why the duotrope listing isn't considered correct. If it says plainly that the pay ranges from token to professional, and they do occasionally pay pro rates, why is that so bad? It's not like they are saying they *always* pay pro.
It's basically a bait 'n switch. They lure you in with the idea that they'll pay you five cents/word--honestly, how many of you subbed to them because you thought you'd receive pro-payment for your story?--and then spring it on your that no, you won't be receiving pro-anything. Not to mention, we don't know what qualifies a story to receive this elusive "pro-payment." How often do they even pay pro for a story? "Occasionally" could mean only once a year.

There's a lot of unanswered questions and we believe it's incorrect for duo to list them as a pro-paying market. And no, most markets are not like this. They're upfront about what they pay. Washington Pastime is not.

ETA: I was thinking this is what WP should say in their guidelines: We pay a token amount of $2.50 in US currency for stories accepted. Occasionally, for exceptional stories [based on whatever criteria they use] we will pay five cents/word.

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I imagine there are plenty of markets on duotrope that are similar.

JMHO.

Carol

My problem with the situation is that they fail to clearly specify what their rates are and under what circumstances they are willing to pay pro or even semi-pro rates.

Now that Carol shared her experience, I know of at least six authors who had stories accepted at WP. Each was offered $2.50 for their story, regardless of length, author's reputation, whether the story is original or a reprint, or anything else.

In at least once case the author queried and specifically asked about the criteria to qualify for higher pay. They did not receive a satisfactory answer, but only something along the lines of "we can only offer $2.50 for this story." The author in question withdrew their submission, and so did at least two others.

I, for one, would appreciate some sort of confirmation that SOMEONE is getting paid Pro rates there and, better yet, a clear-cut policy on the matter in their guidelines.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what's going on with them. They haven't posted a story in almost a month. My own story was supposed to be posted but hasn't been. I sent a follow-up email a week ago but haven't heard a thing. (I did receive payment via PayPal)

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... Has there been any update on their Duotrope page recently? I hope this works out ok -- my own reason for turning down their offer was the clause about owning the rights even if the publication went under. :/

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
There have been some rejections noted over the past couple of days. But that's it.

Wow, that would be bad if they never publish my story but keep the rights! Sigh. Maybe I shouldn't have accepted the offer, either.