• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Dark Coast Press

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
They're new, created in 2009. One of the five books listed is by one of the founders.

I only know of them because a local "geek group" mentioned them in a "what's happening" list. They seem to have a presence locally, being mentioned at area book readings at indy and the university bookstore. That's not usual though; readings at indy stores and coffeehouses are fairly common here. They like to promote local talent. However, I don't know if they're regularly stocked on the shelves of these stores and/or in the bigger stores -- it'd require some phone calls -- nor what kind of promotion and distribution (beyond local) they have.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, bicycle! Just the kind of assistance this place is so good with.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Whoa! Dark Coast Publisher spam!

Anyone else get it? In their Inbox? Dang, I deleted mine so I can't copy it in here, but it was a supposed happy author of theirs named "tutter."

Or am I five news cycles behind here?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Was it from DCP or the author?

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I've had a query out with them going on 5 months. They say they respond in 1-3 months. I remember at the time I queried, their website looked pretty vacant, but now it looks like they've revamped it. And it's loaded with typos... I'm in no hurry to inquire about the status of my submission. Anyone have any experience with them yet? Thanks. :)

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
From their 'Submissions' page:

Dark Coast Press publishes works of literary fiction,
fiction, poetry, abstract, and experimental writing...We just don’t like poorly written books. It means we will consider all manuscripts from all camps. But, generally, we do not publish the following: mass market fiction, popular fiction, genre fiction, fantasy fiction, mystery/crime/thriller fiction, non-fiction, inspirational prose/poetry, cookbooks, self-help books, religious or political propaganda, etc.

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I rechecked and it's Black Heron Press whose website looks vacant, not Dark Coast Press. Sorry for the confusion. But it's Dark Coast Press whose website has typos and bad formatting/grammar. Otherwise, DCP's selection of books don't look too bad, on the outside. I've not held any in hand, nor peeked inside any of them for quality. I'm leery about their editing, though, from the mistakes in their website on first glance.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Portions of their web page seem out of date. For example, on the submissions page:

Dark Coast Press Submission Guidelines

We are no longer accepting unsolicted submissions for 2012. Submissions will reopen at a future date in 2013. Thank you for your patience.

I note that "unsolicted" is spelled wrong.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Last book published '13, site gone by mid-'14.