Mass Effect 3 Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Your link didn't work, so I couldn't read the article.

But...the beta's already available (it's just the multiplayer co-op) to people who purchase Battlefield 3. It was probably just a glitch with the Xbox Live's management of the access code that allowed everyone in instead of just the Battlefield 3 owners.

The beta will be available to everyone in January. Sucks that I have to wait two more months (I hate First person shooters, so I ain't getting BF3, even if it does have the code).

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It worked when I posted it this morning. Apparently the thread was removed sometime during the day.

I know nothing about the game, but I know there are ME fans here. Ah, well.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I found another article about it. Apparently the original article you linked to has been taken down (as well as the youtube vid, etc.) once, I imagine, the lawyers pounced all over it.

Honestly, as a huge ME fan, I'd rather not see any rough, unfinished stuff that might spoil it for me. So, I'm kind of glad I didn't see it on Xbox Live this weekend.

http://www.1up.com/news/mass-effect-3-story-details-leaked-accidental-beta-release

Last edited:

froley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reelthinker.com
Opty, the beta's not available yet. We'll know later this month when it's due. It's just, if you bought BF3 on any platform, you get earlier access to it. Which is confusing.

But yeah, I'm in a similar boat. ME2's advertising spoiled most of the game for me, so I'm trying to remain cut off from this one, to preserve the deliciousness of surprise upon booting up for the first time.

Though I have heard of that RPG/story/action mode controversy...

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I actually found the video on youtube last night (it's probably since been taken down) that shows the rough opening of the game from the leak. It didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know about the opening, so I didn't feel that it spoiled too much for me. However, I gotta say that the new character design for Ashley is pretty hot, haha.

The RPG/Action/Combined mode, from what I've read (and saw on the video) seems to be Bioware's attempt to address the wants of the different types of players out there; it's their attempt to appeal to the widest game-playing audience possible.

From the vids/articles I saw last night, it seems that the RPG mode is the full RPG story, with a downplayed emphasis on action, which is likely an attempt to appeal to the RPG purists. I'm guessing that means that the action gameplay will either be a lot easier or that they'll cut out some of it so that it's less "shooter" and more "RPG."

The action mode, from what I understand, cuts some of the RPG elements out, and focuses strictly on the action shooter aspects. This is probably geared toward the Gears of War audience, making it more of a pure shooter. Apparently, when the RPG choices come up, the computer auto-selects your responses in a lot of cases, rather than giving you the choice. So, the story is pretty much chosen for you.

The combo version is just that; it is the full ME experience, with all of the RPG elements and all of the action shooter elements. This is the version that Bioware considers the "true" game. And the one that I will be playing through probably about 10 times at least. :)

Last edited:

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
The combo version is just that; it is the full ME experience, with all of the RPG elements and all of the action shooter elements. This is the version that Bioware considers the "true" game.

I'm Commander Shepard, and this will be my favorite mode in the Citadel.

Last edited:

froley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reelthinker.com
Nah, all those modes are for dev/QA purposes only (the leaked version is pre-beta). The game will ship with standard difficulties, I reckon. If they did stick with those modes, it would make for a bizarre and distressing design choice.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that would be a fine marketing technique, so the gamer can get the game experience they prefer and still play what seems to be a fantastic game.

Might be a little confusing to start with, but, hey, we're bright people and can catch on to what's being offered.

And what a money-maker for Bioware if it brings in other types of players (like me) into loving this franchise.

froley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reelthinker.com
If they do decide to do this, it wouldn't make a lick of sense. The first games were accessible, relatively easy on the default difficulty, and a lot of the conversations and sidequests were already optional. I don't know who else they could possibly try to appeal to by doing this.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Opty said:
The RPG/Action/Combined mode, from what I've read (and saw on the video) seems to be Bioware's attempt to address the wants of the different types of players out there; it's their attempt to appeal to the widest game-playing audience possible.

From the vids/articles I saw last night, it seems that the RPG mode is the full RPG story, with a downplayed emphasis on action, which is likely an attempt to appeal to the RPG purists. I'm guessing that means that the action gameplay will either be a lot easier or that they'll cut out some of it so that it's less "shooter" and more "RPG."

The action mode, from what I understand, cuts some of the RPG elements out, and focuses strictly on the action shooter aspects. This is probably geared toward the Gears of War audience, making it more of a pure shooter. Apparently, when the RPG choices come up, the computer auto-selects your responses in a lot of cases, rather than giving you the choice. So, the story is pretty much chosen for you.

The combo version is just that; it is the full ME experience, with all of the RPG elements and all of the action shooter elements. This is the version that Bioware considers the "true" game. And the one that I will be playing through probably about 10 times at least.

Nah, all those modes are for dev/QA purposes only (the leaked version is pre-beta). The game will ship with standard difficulties, I reckon. If they did stick with those modes, it would make for a bizarre and distressing design choice.

You sure about that?

Game Informer said:
When you start Mass Effect 3, you have to choose between three new game modes – action, roleplaying, and story. How early into development did you come up with the idea of splitting it up into the different types of players who are likely to be checking this game out?

CASEY HUDSON: That’s actually another thing that we wanted to do in previous games. It’s simpler than it seems. It looks like we’ve done something really crazy, but all it’s doing is – first of all, we realized that it’s not ideal that when someone starts the game, they don’t know that much about it and we dump a huge options screen on them. Automatic squad powers and this and that – you’re asking them to make too many decisions about stuff they haven’t even played yet. That wasn’t ideal. We also have a lot of feedback from people who say, "Your games look really cool, and I love the idea of the story and the characters. It looks awesome when I watch it on YouTube, but I’m just not that coordinated with a shooter. I would play it if I could figure out how to do combat."

So we always thought we should have a mode where combat isn’t going to kill you. You still go around and fight, but you’re playing it for the story experience. We thought we should be able to do that relatively easy, but there’s still work involved in that.

You have to make a game with a certain design before you realize that there are different player types. One of the surprising pieces of feedback was for some players, it’s not that they don’t like the story. They love story. In fact, the story is so important to them that they feel the story choices are intimidating. They’re worried that they’re going to make a wrong decision. We never build our games that way, but they find it stressful that they have to make all these decisions. They want to see what happens, but they want to see what they would perceive as the best outcome.
So all these settings do is that they set some of the options on the option screen before you’ve played it and know what those options mean. Once you get in and start playing, you can change things. The story mode is actually just a difficulty setting. The action mode is actually just about choosing "automatic dialogue."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...fdsafdhudson-interviewae.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

froley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reelthinker.com
You are right, of course, but those options only come up when you start a new game, not when you continue an ME2 save. Also I stand by my comment that it is a bizarre and distressing design choice :)

narmowen

Lost in the woods
Registered
Reaction score
Froley, you can choose story, RPG, action or any of the difficulty levels at any point in the game. Heck, you can start a game on the hardest difficulty, and go down to story within the same fight.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Froley, are you just making stuff up as you go along?

Status
Not open for further replies.