Person of Interest.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Root passing away was just.... heart-wrenching. And it needed to be. The machine needed a voice and it was Root all along. The machine changed her and gave her purpose. Root's character arc came 100% full circle.

The finale missed some things for me and I almost wonder if I had missed an episode. They built up this thing where Root put in a command that if Harold ever wanted to give the machine full 100% power and unleash it onto the world to fully go on the offensive, Harold could give the command." But he didn't, did he? I kept waiting for that.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I am probably slow on the uptake, but I almost lost it when I realized who the kid at the funeral was.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I was pretty sure that it was Reese, but liked the confirmation.

(sniffles again)

What I was surprised about was when Finch said, "Well, we know what happens to Reese..." assuming he was dead. Then realizing he was like, "DUDE! I am so saving you, Harold. Go live life..." (fan tears!)

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Late to the party, but I rather liked the ending. I told my hubs it was a romance-ish finale. If there's no more to it (ie sequels/spinoffs), at least it was hopeful, or as we say, HFN. Happy For Now. Considering how down I was on last year, I'm glad I came back for the finale season.

On to...Westworld! Jonathon Nolan (POI) and his wife Lisa Joy (Burn Notice) collaborating on the upcoming HBO SF-Western mind-twister. Considering they're the brains behind two of my favorite all time shows, I'll be tuning in. :D

vanilla

hmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, new to the fandom! Just started watching this from the beginning last month and just finished with season 2(kinda hits a lull for me with the business intrigue plots, like that Wall Street dude? I mostly doodled through that one). One thing I really love though is the soundtrack in a lot of episodes. Not only with John's theme at times cutting in really brutal and cool(like at one point in "Booked Solid" getting confronted by the hotel manager and punching him out, the industrial starts up right when Reese walks away :D ) but accenting certain episodes and moments beautifully...while also giving me a new song to add to my collection! Like "Down Boy" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs at the end of "Risk", "Amongster" by Poliça at the end of "Identity Crisis", "The Greatest" by Cat Power at the end of "Triggerman" and "The Future Starts Slow" by the Kills at the end of the season 2 episode, "Relevance." Just to name my favorites at this moment.

Love the writing and love the characters! I have caught a few episodes on TV here and there while over at a friend's house and that's what got me into it; I just had to know what it was all about! Definitely not disappointed. :p

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Soooo, wait a minute - Didn't you just get major spoilage from the most recent posts??? :Shrug:

vanilla

hmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Soooo, wait a minute - Didn't you just get major spoilage from the most recent posts??? :Shrug:

I don't mind spoilers and look for them a lot of times. So, yes.

Almost done with season 3 now! Omg, <3 Root so so much! At times she cracks me up, at others, I just think she's so cool and breezy. I wished that Carter hadn't died, right at that moment when something I suspected was happening 5 or 6 episodes in was actually starting to show itself! Grrr! I got chills the episode when Root is interrogated by that Control Lady. Just loved everything about that, her turning the tables and all.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How the sausage gets made...

Back from a bad time to comment on the end of Person of Interest.

To be honest, I was a little glad to see the show end. Loved the cast. Easily one of the best ensembles in recent TV history. John Reese, Harold Finch, Root, Sameen Shaw, Lionel Fusco, Carter, Elias, BEAR! Jonathan Nolan and Greg Plageman and the entire crew that put this puzzle together were able to give the fans of Person of Interest something many shows don't get to do any more.

Closure, and here's how we got it.
It’s rare for a TV show to be canceled with grace. Some networks and cable channels are straightforward about the fact that television is a brutal marketplace, and of course most shows will not find enough of an audience to stay on the air; others won’t confirm that a show that’s yanked after five episodes is a goner. From an audience perspective, there are satisfying ways for a show to come to an end (NBC’s Parenthood is a recent example) and terrible, enraging ones: After their abrupt cancellations this month, ABC’s Castle and Nashville both left fans howling. (Castle stapled on a happy ending that The Hollywood Reporter called a “wreck”; Nashville opted for a cliffhanger in the hope, according to Deadline, that the show will find another home — which will be a huge fuck-you to its fans if it doesn’t.)

After its fourth season, the executive producers of CBS’s Person of Interest — Jonathan Nolan, who created it, and Greg Plageman, one of its showrunners — were given an unstated message that their show was on its way to cancellation. After that realization, they decided Person of Interest would go out with dignity. “You look at this season with shows, longstanding shows, like Castle,” Nolan said in an interview with BuzzFeed News this week. “All of a sudden, it’s like, ‘Oh, we couldn’t figure it out, you’re done.’ We absolutely did not want that to be the case here.”

For its first three seasons, the most shocking thing about the complicated drama was how popular it was. The series follows a group of vigilantes led by Harold Finch, a damaged, brilliant billionaire (the brains), and John Reese, a damaged ex-CIA assassin (the muscle). Finch (Michael Emerson) and Reese (Jim Caviezel) and the rest of their gang help people in trouble, and that has provided Person of Interest’s weekly procedural engine. But the larger backdrop that has evolved on the show is that one AI called “The Machine” and another AI called “Samaritan” are in a good-versus-evil battle in which the stakes are…pretty much the world as we know it.

Person of Interest was a hit right away for CBS. Then, in its second season, the show did something rare these days: It grew — around 16 million people were watching weekly. After it moved starting in Season 3 from Thursdays at 9 to Tuesdays at 10, a much tougher time slot because of cable and DVR competition, Person of Interest still brought in around 14 million viewers each week. Throughout its fourth season, viewership dropped off, but that’s par for the course: It still drew a crowd.

Which is why it’s a true curiosity that Person of Interest has ended up here: with CBS burning off its fifth and last season. It premiered on May 3, and — at a pace of two episodes a week — the series finale will air on June 21.

The trouble, as far as Nolan and Plageman see it, became acutely evident last May during the upfronts, when the networks present their new shows and schedules for the upcoming season to advertisers. No one at CBS had told them ahead of time that not only would Person of Interest be left off of the network’s fall schedule, but its episode order would be cut from the usual 22 to 13. In fact, the two executive producers laughed at a question that presumed they had been given a heads-up about either development, both of which are signs of imminent cancellation.

“It was pretty surprising,” said Plageman. “We had felt at the time that we would be getting a full order going into the season.” They learned that Person of Interest had been ghosted off the schedule only after CBS unveiled its fall programming to press before its upfront presentation. And then, Plageman said, “You go through the usual gamut of emotions.”

After these unforeseen blows, Nolan said the show’s creative team decided to move forward with their own plan. “No one was clear with us that this was a final season; we kind of decided that this was a final season. You read the tea leaves here, and it was clear that with a reduced order it’s not likely that we were coming back,” he said. “So we decided: Fuck it. We’re going to tell the end of this story, in such a way that doesn’t slam the door shut on the universe of the show — that wouldn’t be a fitting end to the show anyway. But telling a final season in such a way that it would leave everyone satisfied with the story that we told. And that was our decision. This is a gift.”

Person of Interest is both a relic of a rapidly dying business model for broadcast television, and a harbinger. Its producer, Warner Bros., the once indomitable studio that developed and oversaw Friends and ER, is in a difficult position these days. It still owns The Big Bang Theory, and plenty of other shows. But without a major network corporate sibling where it can funnel its productions — Universal Television has NBC, 20th Century Fox has Fox, ABC Studios has ABC, and CBS Studios has CBS — Warner Bros. ends up at a disadvantage in a case like Person of Interest. (Warner Bros. does co-own The CW with CBS, but it’s a smaller network that caters to a younger audience than the other four broadcasters.) As CBS’s chairman, president, and CEO Leslie Moonves told The Hollywood Reporter recently, the company “broke even” on Person of Interest last year, but because Warner Bros., not CBS, profits from the show’s back end (DVD sales, foreign rights, streaming, syndication), it was literally not worth it to renew the show.

The Machine might shake its head knowingly about such capitalist concerns dictating art. The Person of Interest producers, however, were not naive to these obstructions. “This is how the world works,” said Nolan. But that doesn’t mean they have to like it. “If the business is just going to be more vertically integrated, where the networks only buy their own product, that’s not very good competition,” Plageman said.

Even when Person of Interest was a massive hit, they felt the negative effects of these corporate tensions. For its first two seasons, the show didn’t stream anywhere: not on Hulu, not on Netflix after the season ended — and not even on CBS.com. “We literally existed in primetime,” Nolan said. “If you didn’t see the show or didn’t DVR the show, you weren’t going to see the show. And the only way to catch up on the show was by way of DVDs.” After the second season, CBS.com began streaming episodes; after Season 4, Person of Interest finally became available on Netflix. But considering viewer behavior at this current moment, it was a recipe that created an eroding, aging audience. And so, after the fourth season, CBS decided to try a new show in the fall in Person of Interest’s former time period: the now-canceled Limitless.

Plageman said that their concerns about the uncertainties surrounding Person of Interest’s fate were mostly for the actors and the crew, who want to know “whether they have a level of job security.” “With actors, it’s a much more difficult scenario, and they’re being kept in the dark and told a number of different things,” Plageman said. “It’s even worse when you’re on set, and there’s a game of telephone, and people start to speculate.”

He added: “They have these huge long contracts, and they have to figure out whether they’re going to be able to go and read for another pilot, or are they going to be held for the duration until the show is done airing, all the way through the spring. It precluded a number of our actors from going out.”

“As a writer and a producer, you can do a couple of things at once,” said Nolan, who has simultaneously been working on HBO’s forthcoming — and by all accounts difficult — Westworld for several years. “For our actors who moved to New York, who shoot 14 hours a day for 200-plus days in a row, this is their life. We tried as best as possible to communicate with them and let them know what was happening.”

For the viewer, we never get a full picture of what goes on when the TV is off. Person of Interest got the back of the hand from CBS for reasons which had little to do with the quality of the show or its ratings.

I have no complaint over how the show ended, but it definitely felt hurried, truncated and very much about closing up shop before CBS turned off the lights. I'll always wonder how glorious an end Nolan and Plageman could have conceived for Reese and Finch if only they had the full 22 episodes to tell the final story they were building up to.

R.I.P. P.O.I.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
We recently have watched the last handful episodes of PoI and enjoyed them. A little bit anticlimactic with the virus thing for me, but the last episode was really good.

Loved seeing the Machine with meta-spiritual Root-body. That Root voice thing was growing on me, and made up for losing her. I felt a bit sad when the Machine started to lose her memory about the important lesson she learned, and then I felt happy and moved when she remembered it.

So glad to see Fusco and Bear make it through alright, too. :)

Great series, and a good way to end the series. I liked the hopeful ending. I'll miss my Batman and Robin series, though. (My family teases me that Reese is "my Batman", and Finch is the Robin, lol. Shaw was Batgirl/Batwoman.)

I'm planning on rewatching some episodes on Netflix. It's just that awesome of a series.

Miss you, my handsome Batman. :heart:

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Great series, and a good way to end the series. I liked the hopeful ending. I'll miss my Batman and Robin series, though. (My family teases me that Reese is "my Batman", and Finch is the Robin, lol. Shaw was Batgirl/Batwoman.)

He's even doing the voice thing, Reese is. (My favorite joke the previous season.)
Not sure about Finch as Robim, though. I see him more as Alfred, except Alfred usually tries to make Batman sty in and not get injuured. Hm.... Oracle, maybe? Or would that be the Machine itself?
If anybody is Robin, I'd say Lionel. I guess that leaves the remaining Birds of Prey to Shaw (Huntress) and Root (Canary).

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
He's even doing the voice thing, Reese is. (My favorite joke the previous season.)
Not sure about Finch as Robim, though. I see him more as Alfred, except Alfred usually tries to make Batman sty in and not get injuured. Hm.... Oracle, maybe? Or would that be the Machine itself?
If anybody is Robin, I'd say Lionel. I guess that leaves the remaining Birds of Prey to Shaw (Huntress) and Root (Canary).

That's some good comparisons there. My family is not too familiar with other DC characters (and we don't keep up with much superhero comics), so Robin was the closest my family gets to describing him.

But, yes, Oracle can definitely fit Finch (or the Machine herself). :)

(I was thinking of the smart-ish Robin who's somewhat good with tech devices from Young Justice at the time, I guess, lol.)

And, yes, I loved the Reese voice joke, too! XD

I will miss that actor and character. He's like a decade older than me, but he's handsome to me. He (both character wise and actor wise) appeals to me more than any actual Batman did. Maybe because he doesn't feel as sour and humorless as Batman.

(Batman is a total party pooper in so many ways to me, lol.)

I'll miss Fusco and Root. They were fun characters as well. Fusco always gives me a good chuckle. I love Amy Acker's voice and acting so much. :)

The theme music is just awesome as well.

Man, I'll miss this show.

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

You know I always did wonder what was up between Black Canary and The Huntress... :e2kissy:

Not that it's a bad thing.

Latina Bunny

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I agree :heart: - Can't wait to see what Caviezel (and Emerson) will do next.
:heart: !! I know, right?

You know I always did wonder what was up between Black Canary and The Huntress... :e2kissy:

Not that it's a bad thing.
What I keep hearing in my head whenever anyone mentions the Birds of Prey ladies...

"For those who scare and terrorize, it's the dawn of a brand new daaay. You scum can simply call us: The one and only Birds of Preeey.

While all of the boys can keep you punks at bay, No one does it better than the Birds of Prey."

Last edited:

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Finally was able to finish the show thanks to Netflix. As a day one watcher of this series it definitely felt weird having it be done. I always thought the show would end with Finch saying "We've got another number Mr. Reese."

I do wish we would have had a bit more time dedicated to everyone's endings and what they would be doing. Man, those two scenes with just Reese and Finch were gut wrenching. While this show had some low points (especially early season one), it is by far one of my most favorite shows I have ever watched and the writing and character growth was top notch.

I will miss this show greatly.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With the gnormous body count 2016 has racked up, I can be forgiven for forgetting Person of Interest was one of the year's casualties. That is until playground bumped the thread and reminded me of a fine article about the show I read in October.

Now you can too. :Thumbs: