AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Charles Towne Publishing

Charles Towne Publishing

I don't know why, the Cao's thread on agents and publishers won't open for me to check this out. I did do a search and nothing came up. So ...

Anyone know anything about Charles Towne Publishers? They're advertising in various places on the net including Craigslist. Looks a bit questionable to me (and they're not in P&E), but not completely questionable. Anyone with info? Puma

http://www.charlestownepublish.com/default.html
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

practical experience, FTW thorjansen's Avatar
    Their "about" page says "When manuscripts are chosen for publication the author's cost will never exceed $100.00." Sounds like trouble to me.

Oh, and the one book I found on Amazon claiming to be published by them comes via CreateSpace, which anyone can use themselves without a middleman. And it's a book that I believe is in the public domain.

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-She.../dp/1466423234
    Last edited by thorjansen; 11-04-2011 at 07:47 AM.

That was the flag to me too, which is why I decided to ask. Glad you found the Createspace - may explain it all. Puma
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin mpm536's Avatar
    I have used Charles Towne Publishing to publish my second novel, the first one was with Createspace.com. I found my experience far superior with Charles Towne Publishing than I did going at it on my own with Createspace.com. They never charged me any upfront fees. All I had to do was sign a royalty contract with them, which so far has been better than the royalties I received off of my first novel. Hope this helps with your concerns.

practical experience, FTW rejectME's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpm536 View Post
    I have used Charles Towne Publishing to publish my second novel, the first one was with Createspace.com. I found my experience far superior with Charles Towne Publishing than I did going at it on my own with Createspace.com. They never charged me any upfront fees. All I had to do was sign a royalty contract with them, which so far has been better than the royalties I received off of my first novel. Hope this helps with your concerns.
    So you did or didn't have to pay $100? Have they charged you for editing or anything?
    Please check out and "Like" my Facebook author page for info on current publications, WIP, and non-fiction work. If you have a page, I'd be happy to return the favor!

"In the end, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it." ~Norman McLain

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin mpm536's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Charles Towne Publishing

I did not have to pay $100, no charges for editing or cover design, and I was not required to purchase a certain amount of copies after publication. The only money I paid was $20.00 for my copy of the original proof.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Site gone, last book pubbed in '13.

ETA: Owner's replacement venture is North South Publishing (http://www.northsouthpublishing.com/home.html)
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 06-11-2016 at 07:16 PM.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: