Intelligent Things Non-Writers Say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who's not a writer, but she is the BEST beta reader on the planet! She always gives me incredibly insightful comments on my work. And she's reliable -- I know if she agrees to read something, she will come through.

She's an avid reader, but not a writer. And everything she says is intelligent.

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
My younger sister made a face when I said that writing was an art--she draws a lot, and apparently if it doesn't involve putting paint, pencil, or whatever on paper, it's not quite art.

My father reprimanded her for it.

YES.

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I was in a bookstore with my husband and we had just walked by a table advertising 'Best Sellers' when he said to me, "your books are going to be on these tables one day."

I swooned. :D :e2cloud9:

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
I met my best friend in high school. She was in the year below me and originally friends with my brother. The first time she came up to me she smiled and said "Are you a writer?" and I said "Yes" and she said "I am really honored to meet you." And she really meant it. I could tell right away from the look on her face. I was real shocked and flattered. We've been friends for over ten years now and she was my bridesmaid in my wedding a week and a half ago :)

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
The other day my girlfriend said something that at first I took as stupid, simply because my feelings were hurt. I told her that in 2012 I plan to finish two novels, and also about one short story a month to submit to 'zines (as well as the occasional special piece for her). That seemed pretty ambitious to me.

She immediately said, "Could you do one a week? I love your stories."

At first I was too hurt to take the compliment. I felt as if she were belittling my plans, and also thought she was speaking out of ignorance about what that amount of writing entails.

But, she asked a fair question, and it's more important than my bruised feelings. It made me consider three factors:

1) Death. I think about this one a lot. I'm 51 and diabetic; how many writing years do I have ahead of me? I want to leave behind a respectable body of work.

2) I know I need more "web presence", more name recognition; I want it to come from my fiction, not from stupid blogging or tweeting or self-promotion. Putting out a lot of short stories is the ticket. It really exercises your writing muscles, and the more publications I've got on my resume before querying about a novel, the better.

3) I'm a lazy bastard. Always have been. If I'm going to break that habit, might as well do it in a big way.

So, I may not make a story a week, but I am going to push myself harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.