Status
Not open for further replies.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Since the Stupid things non-writers say thread has over 2,000 bitching, whining posts in it (including my own), I thought I'd start a contrasting thread.

It's valuable to hear from a different perspective. People who don't happen to be writers may nevertheless have something useful to say about the subject.

In 2002, I had a tough period of unemployment that lasted almost all year. I was bitching to a friend about being jobless for the previous six months, and he said, "Well, why didn't you use the time to write that novel you were talking about?"

I had some ready answers -- being jobless makes me anxious, I couldn't concentrate ... but those are lame-ass excuses. So when I found myself unemployed again in 2009, I decided to use however much time I had at home to get serious about writing.

I was stuck on a story, couldn't decide which way to go at a certain point. My girlfriend said, "Why don't you write it both ways and see which result you like better?" Worked.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I don't knwo about intelligent lol, but I get plenty of 'You write books? Cool! Tell me all about it'

People are really actually interested (well some of them). I've spent many a quiet evening at work talking to co-workers about it.

One of my bosses insists on telling all our customers 'And Julia here is a published novelist.' He gets a real kick out of it.

So maybe not intelligent comment, but it's nice that people are interested you know?

Reaction score
Loved it when a friend introduced me to someone else in a pub: "And this is Scarlett. She's a writer." :D *preens*

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Loved it when a friend introduced me to someone else in a pub: "And this is Scarlett. She's a writer." :D *preens*

I always introduce my friend JeanneTGC to new people by her pen name and let them know she is published, and you can get her books in a real bookstore.

MM

Amos Gunner

figuring it all out
Registered
Reaction score
When Elaine is having writer's block, Jerry tells her, "Just make it interesting."

Her eyes light up. "Yes! Interesting. People like interesting writing."

Love it! And so true.

(Of course, the scene came out of one the great writer's rooms in sitcom history.)

Really, that's all I got. People may be kind, but they are idiots.

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
I think I posted this in the "other" thread; but more and more, I've been reconsidering that the simple advice may have quite a bit of wisdom.

A friend asks: "What's going on with your book?" And I explain the challenges of trying to find an agent or a publisher; what an uphill battle it is; how frustrating it is to have to wait for months to hear back on submissions, etc.

So she says: "Why don't you just self-publish?"

Hmmm....

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
(actually there was a thread like this started around the same time as the stupid things thread, but yeah . . . clearly it wasn't quite as popular :) )

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
When I told my wife my idea for my book cover, she told me it gave far too much away. I realised she was right so I toned it down a bit.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a few things out on sub right now and yesterday I was having a grumble about how long it takes for acceptances/rejections. My ten year old sat me down and told me Dr. Seuss got twenty five rejections on his first book, but he never gave up, and that I mustn't give up either. Was there tears in my eyes? You freakin' betcha!

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a few things out on sub right now and yesterday I was having a grumble about how long it takes for acceptances/rejections. My ten year old sat me down and told me Dr. Seuss got twenty five rejections on his first book, but he never gave up, and that I mustn't give up either. Was there tears in my eyes? You freakin' betcha!

Mine too! Waah! Kids=perspective.

I used my 6-year old's name for one of my protags, and he kept seeing it on my computer screen, so I explained him I was writing a book about another boy named Luke.

He said: That's a really GOOD book, Mom.

;)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Mine too! Waah! Kids=perspective.

I used my 6-year old's name for one of my protags, and he kept seeing it on my computer screen, so I explained him I was writing a book about another boy named Luke.

He said: That's a really GOOD book, Mom.

;)

My ears are burning.

Well, they would be if I was six.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
"Do you need me to get out of your way for a few hours while you write?" ;)

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
"It's a beautiful day - let's go for a walk."

I love writing, but I love going for walks on beautiful days, too. Non-writers help with the balance, I find.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting lots of Facebook "likes" and congratulations comments whenever I update my NaNo goals. They give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Probably because they never saw me get really serious with my writing.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
"Your butt better be in front of the computer working on your story, and not screwing off on the internet." - Hubby, who is happy to kick me in the ass when it's called for.

Reaction score
The correct 'report-a-post' batsignal is...

*clears throat*

..."HALP! HALP! I'M BEING OPPRESSED!"

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(actually there was a thread like this started around the same time as the stupid things thread, but yeah . . . clearly it wasn't quite as popular :) )

I had the same thought; found it here.

Complaining seems to be much more fun. :D

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's it. I'm telling. MODS! Help. I'm being abused. And not in a good way.

I'm ROLFing! You poor, poor, hairless (?) person. To help miminize your pain, let me say I LOVE your location. Quite clever.

Angela

Named For a Song...
Registered
Reaction score

Aww . . . such a sweetheart! :Hug2:

skylark

Registered
Reaction score
I tend not to tell people I write and expect a response, but I really value the people who I've asked for advice on things they do which I want to write about.

I'd love to know, for instance, what my son's karate sensei really thought when I started quizzing him about black belt gradings and what kata he personally would choose to do and why. At the time I was the mum of an eight year old near-beginner.

He answered all my stupid questions and gave me the cribsheet he normally gives to his students who are getting close to their black belt grading. Thanks, Lee :)

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
My hubby, the other day: "Have you finished any more stories yet?" with an excited look on his face. I honestly don't think I'd have the guts to write and submit things if he didn't encourage me. I don't have a lot of confidence in my abilities as a writer so it's nice to have someone cheerleading for me all the time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.