The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Books To Go Now

Ditching the pseudonym V. Greene's Avatar

[Publisher] Books To Go Now

http://bookstogonow.com/

I just had them come up on Duotrope and was considering sending them a novella of mine which has gone out of print. Aside from their two different length requests, anyone see anything peculiar, scary, or just vaguely redolent of seaweed?

(And did I seriously find them first?)
    I am officially ditching my pseudonym.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    Well, their "about us" page doesn't tell you anything about them, and their submissions page gives me the creeps. I don't think typing a bunch of words makes one automatically deserving of respect; I don't think one can learn the craft within hours; I don't want a publisher boo-hoo-ing over my rejection letters; and I sure as heck don't want to be part of a publisher's "family". I want a publisher whose mission is to publish great stories and sell heaps and heaps of them to the public.

Our mission is to make sure that as a writer, you get the respect you deserve as a published author. The writing business is tough sometimes. Rejection, rejection, rejection.

Here at Books to Go Now, we understand your passion for writing. We wouldn’t be here with out you, the writers.

We want you to join us in this growing market that is changing daily. As we said earlier, it’s all about respect. As you put in hours honing your craft, we are spending hours promoting your work.

If you’re successful, we’re successful!

We would like you to be part of our publishing family.
    Also, they can't seem to make up their mind what length of stories they want and how they're going to publish them. These two are not compatible:

At this time Books to Go Now is only considering books between 2,500- 10,000 words for print.
    As for now Books to Go Now is ONLY looking for

* Short Stories: 8,000 to 20,000
    In the future we may look at longer works, but for now we are focusing on our short story ePub market and apps eBook downloads.

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    Click on BTGN's covers for a brief description of the contents. If the poor grammar, spelling mistakes and punctuation abuse represent the quality of the company's editing, I'd give this one a miss.

Here's an interview with Carolyn Schuster, BTGN's managing editor:

http://www.duotrope.com/interview.aspx?id=5043

As Carolyn Spencer she's the author of two BTGN e-books.
    Last edited by aliceshortcake; 11-03-2011 at 06:46 PM.

practical experience, FTW sissybaby's Avatar
    The one thing I noticed about their website that turned me off was the poor quality of the writing as far as grammar, punctuation, etc. went. Not a good sign to my way of thinking.

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    I ran away screaming from those hideous covers.

I'm probably not the only one.

Give 'em a pass. There are better places for your words.

Never start at the bottom when shopping your book.

Start at the TOP with the biggest house on the block and work your way down.

By the time you reach this barrel-scrape of a publisher you'll have three new books finished and ready to shop.

Romance with Kick-Assitude! Cassie Knight's Avatar
    Does anyone have any recent experience with them? I didn't see them back in late 2011 so I don't know if their site is better or the same.

Thanks,
    Cassiel Knight
    Publisher, Champagne Book Group
    www.champagnebooks.com
    Paranormal Romance with Kick-Assitude!
    www.CassielKnight.com

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I didn't see it before, but the language use on the site is poor now and some of the covers are, IMHO, terrible. So it is probably about the same now as it was then. Some of the blurbs are borderline incomprehensible.
    Emily Veinglory

Formerly Phantom of Krankor. Torgo's Avatar
    *click*

God, the covers are hideous.

*click*

I'm alarmed by the language on the submissions page:

Our mission is to make sure that as a writer, you get the respect you deserve as a published author. The writing business is tough sometimes. Rejection, rejection, rejection.
    A publishing company whose mission statement is validation of the author? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

No thanks.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Any new info on them?

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Nope. Their covers are still terrible, and there are still problems with the writing on the site. I'd give this one a miss.