Anyone willing to help design a fantasy political system?

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't needed to truly cover the political and societal structure of my setting yet, since so far my characters have stayed on the fringes of civilization. But the time has come for me to knuckle down and really decide how things function and what kinds of offices keep things running.
Which knowledge-wise isn't really my strongest point.

I'm looking for someone who is kindly willing to correspond with me for a bit until I have the whole thing mapped out.

There are basically three different systems in the setting:
-A somewhat democratic one with things like public education.
-A rather oppressive feudal monarchy, largely torn apart by power grabbing nobles.
-And a series of city-states on the edge of civilization.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Hmn. I don't think you'll have much trouble with the first one. Almost any modern European country would do for a model. For the second, you can try Russia during the period of Catherine the Great--a good biography of Catherine will give you some idea of the power holders she had to struggle with, and there were many. For the third, it sounds like a period in Greek history, and you'd need to narrow that down to specific references.

While you may find someone who's happy to brainstorm with you, this strikes me as more of a basic research job, where you'll start on a broader plane and gradually narrow your focus. I've got a lot of history in my experience, but to be honest, I couldn't fill you in without doing some research myself--for details you can probably find online and through library searches, especially if you can get interlibrary loans.

There's also the school of thought that you can make it up as you go, but if you want some historical grounding, it may take a while to build that knowledge base--unless you can indeed find a good working partner here.

Best of luck! :)

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for someone who is kindly willing to correspond with me for a bit until I have the whole thing mapped out.

There are basically three different systems in the setting:
-A rather oppressive feudal monarchy, largely torn apart by power grabbing nobles.

It seems like you have it already. Obviously I'm missing something.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Efraysson, you might find the Science Fiction/Fantasy forum more helpful for this since answers are likely to be speculative.

General note folks - please don't post in here asking for a buddy to work with you offline. If you want a writing buddy there are better places to go. If you want to post in here, be prepared to share the discussion in the forum. (Requests for personal experience that folks may not feel comfortable sharing in public is the exception here).

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd want to make it easy to understand instead of making or expecting the reader to learn a whole new system of contrived names. I'd use titles like the ones that a student of history would expect for the style of the government involved...

Perhaps Ministers or Secretaries of whatever their office is
Maybe use titles like Duke, Earl etc
I envision here a confederacy using modern military ranks like captain and general

Graz

Registered
Reaction score
By standing up to the international banking cartel, from a distance and in a good way, Iceland seems to a fantasy political system

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
By standing up to the international banking cartel, from a distance and in a good way, Iceland seems to a fantasy political system

You win this thread. :)