The Novel Challenge Hub

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
well, everyone, it is the 30th... which means there are 3 months and 1 day till NaNoWriMo. I wanted to have all 4 novels edited to the point of querying.

I've got one novel in pretty good shape. One maybe 1/2 way where I want it to be, and 2 in utter shambles.

I think it's time to get off the internet....

sky warrior books

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
well, everyone, it is the 30th... which means there are 3 months and 1 day till NaNoWriMo. I wanted to have all 4 novels edited to the point of querying.

I've got one novel in pretty good shape. One maybe 1/2 way where I want it to be, and 2 in utter shambles.

Heh! :ROFL:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Siri! How is your writing going?

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Sent the ms off to my first reader on Thursday. Finished revisions to short synopsis yesterday. Heading to Portland for the Willamette Writers Conference this coming Friday. So, not too bad!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score

Sent the ms off to my first reader on Thursday. Finished revisions to short synopsis yesterday. Heading to Portland for the Willamette Writers Conference this coming Friday. So, not too bad!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Have fun at your conference:)

sky warrior books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Have fun at the conference! :D

sky warrior books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
I am sooooo bad. :evil I started writing a short story called The Clockwork Samurai. I need to finish Daemons and Shadows, dammit! Anyhow, I'm 514 words into that. Guess I should put that in the queue.

Torill

Not as trollish as you might think
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody, hugs and cheers all around! :Hug2::e2cheer:
I haven't given up - at all - but have come across another rough patch. About a year ago I wrote a chapter way ahead in my story, because I was stuck where I was plus had some strong ideas for that later chapter. It's been like a beacon ever since, cheering me on - one day, I'll get to that point! And now I've finally reached it - and it's no fun at all...

There are some very good scenes and descriptions here, but as a whole it needs major revision and editing. Things have happened to the plot and the characters since I first wrote it. And - this old chapter is about 9000 words! :eek: They seem like this huge, amorph entity that has no handles, no ways in. I stare at the words on my screen, feeling very much like my young nephew who was sent upstairs to tidy up his room, only to come back down and declare: mom, it's not possible to tidy up my room - it's too messy!!

This of course makes the procrastination snake rise its ugly head (yeah, don't you love tired old metaphors...) but I'm beating it! I am, honest! :rolleyes:

I've pasted the whole dirty big old chapter into my working document, and that has of course bloated the word count considerably - but the majority of those words will need to be edited away. So, no point in updating my signature ticker yet...

@ sky warrior
Congratulations with the 42K mark :partyguy:and good luck with putting The Clockwork Samurai on the backburner for now! :e2cheer:I really admire your tremendous work capacity and ability to multitask - but yeah - I can see how it also may cause some problems at times. Keep at it, I'm sure you'll get them both ready and great in the end!

@ Siri Kirpal Congrats with your finished pre-beta edits. That's awesome! :snoopy::PartySmil:partyguy: Hope you'll have a great time at the conference. Tell us about it when you come back, yeah?

@ Eliza I can so relate to that work just sitting there and sitting there for no apparent reason, constantly worrying your conscience - and then the fabulous rush when you finally sit down to do it! Yay! Congrats with your hundred pages done :e2flowers Looking forward to that post where you say your book is out the door. Here's to crossing the finish line by the end of next weekend! :e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer:

@KitCat Good job to start over. I hope you're happier with the way it's going now. If you are, it probably will go faster. Keep it up! :e2cheer:

@ bettielee
:e2salute: (yeah, me too...)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
A drive-by :hooray: for everybody's progress, whether it's much or little. You peeps rawk!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Thanks, Sky Warrior, Torill & Izz!

I'll post a bit about the conference when I get back.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Finished up another chapter yesterday, plus made some plot tweaks/revisions to the opening chapters. Added a solid 1600 words this afternoon. Will try for more this evening after the kiddo is in bed.

Congrats to all who are making progress. Even the really slow progress. :)

Aggy, been in a really slow rut for a while too

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Two more chapters written. Almost up to 58k words total. Trying to keep up the steady flow onto the page 'til the end of the month (and hopefully the end of the novel).

:)

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
Two more chapters written. Almost up to 58k words total. Trying to keep up the steady flow onto the page 'til the end of the month (and hopefully the end of the novel).

:)

58k? Wow, I thought I was doing well at 15k :D Nice job!

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
58k? Wow, I thought I was doing well at 15k :D Nice job!

That 58k has been written over the course of the year, not just during the past week. (In case I didn't make that clear.) My goal is to get close to 100k by the end of the book, gives me a little wiggle room both ways - if it needs to be longer or shorter. :)

Torill

Registered
Reaction score
So - finally able to beat that amorphous old chapter into shape! :e2bear:But it ended in a little over 4000 words...:chair (was supposed to be 3K or less.)

Oh well. It contains some exposition, and some minor characters that needed to be established to a certain extent, not be just a name in passing - so I suppose it must be that long. I am pleased with it, but still worry about the word count - mustn't end up over 125K! I think some of the remaining chapters don't have to be very long, so hope it'll be OK...

@ Aggy - thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, it really sounds as if you're out of the slow rut for now. (Oh how well I know those slow ruts....) Here's to the upkeep of the flow and the crossing of the finish line by the end of the month! :e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer:

@ Niccolo 15k is not bad for a start! :Clap: YOU GO!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Just got back from the conference. My inbox was jammed! Am taking a break here in between all the emails from my fellow Sikhs about the situation in Wisconsin.

About the conference: Had the usual minor travel mishaps. (Zigged when I should have zagged and took an extra 30 min. to get to hotel.) Very friendly connections with fellow writers. Learned some promotion type stuff. ....And got a request for a proposal from the agent I pitched to. (What I've written is a memoir.) So, I've actually fulfilled the sub part of this a bit ahead of schedule. [Understatement!] But I'll stick around. I wouldn't be sending that proposal just yet.

Cheering everyone on!

And if you're the praying type, requesting prayers for the Sikhs in Wisconsin.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Torill

Registered
Reaction score
Oh Siri, I don't know what to say or what smilies to give you - it's wonderful that you got a request for proposal from an agent at the conference - but I have no words to describe what happened in Wisconsin. I don't think any smilies this board offers can even begin to cover that, and I have no words in my vocabulary either. Did you know anyone there personally?

I am not the prayer type, no, but I'll be thinking about you and all your fellow Sikhs and send as much love as I can. I know yours is a religion of love, peace and trust, and that your temples are welcoming to all people of all faiths. It is so sad and horrible that this may have been abused by a man of hate.

I have just been through 22.7. here in Norway - at this date last year one man bombed our government quarters, killing 8 people, then went to a youth camp for the leading political party in our country and gunned down 69 youths. It was horrible, beyond belief. But the courage of so many of the survivors have also been truly inspiring. I want to share one message from one of the survivors with you: If one man can create so much hate - think of all the love we can all create together!

I don't know if this is of any consolation at all to you. Basically I don't know what to say, only that I wish this had never happened, that the survivors and the families of the dead will receive all the love and support they need, and the rest of the world will see to your community with prayers and thoughts of love and peace.

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just dropping by:Hug2:Congrats to everyone on their words:hooray:I'm busy doing Camp NaNo at the moment so, edits for my other book have been put on hold. I was about three chapters into that, hopefully I'll pick it back up after NaNo;)

NaNo is going well so far:hooray:Much better than last June when I didn't write anything for the first two weeks and got too far behind:tongue

I'm up to about 8,000 words so far. Didn't write anything yesterday though so need to catch back up today. I'm at least trying to get the word count you have to do everyday;)

Congrats again all:partyguy:

Just updating to say I just reached 10k:D

Last edited:

sky warrior books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
A drive-by :hooray: for everybody's progress, whether it's much or little. You peeps rawk!

Hey Izz! Glad to see you! :hi: How's the writing going?

Got dehydrated and heat stressed yesterday. The stupidly low humidity combined with high temperatures have made me sick yet again. :( I spent most of the day yesterday sleeping with bouts of drinking water, dressing out of turkey, and making jam. Yeah, I do too much. Luckily it wasn't a full dressing out for the turkey--I just took leg quarters and breasts, so I didn't have to gut the thing.

On top of that, I have a goat in milk and a conference this weekend. DH won't milk her so I'm having a friend do that. So, Annie the goat gets a car ride.:e2bouncey (Okay, so that's not a goat...)

Writing: I slowly crept past 43K on Daemons and Shadows.