Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202425262728293031323334353640 ... LastLast

Thread: The Novel Challenge Hub

That's me. I've been ALL over the board the last week.

I think I ended on today, but I'm still unsure.

Quote Originally Posted by soapdish View Post

That's me. I've been ALL over the board the last week.

I think I ended on today, but I'm still unsure.
    Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Good!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
    "The only freedom any of us ever has is the freedom to choose how we will not be free."

Lost in the Land of Giants Tienci's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tienci View Post
    So I'm pretty much still on schedule for my recent NaNovel--in the writing/revising/rewriting stage (original plan is to begin querying this book sometime this month and move on to a different work for Feb/March).

Gave the first 3/4 or so of it to beta/co-writer near the end of December as a catalyst for really finishing the thing and having a coherent first draft.

Some good feedback so far; we're currently battling over a few points however.
    And I still have yet to whip the last chapter into some kind of shape.

I'm mainly struggling with the motivation to get back in there and adjust some things I know I need to. Plus, I spend a lot of time in Researchland--so much of it won't come near the story, but I like to be really informed. But I have a hard time not feeling like I'm wasting time, even though some of it's really necessary.

And finally, I ordered some books to help with the next editing pass, including the long-time-coming Strunk/White "Elements of Style." I'd also like to work on my description skills so one of the books focuses on that.

Well, I guess that's it for now; time to go back in.
    Oh wow--so this post was from January 11th...can't believe that's the last time I checked in here!
    Well yes I can.
    In a nutshell, "writer's block" hit by the end of January (although I did start sending out a few queries as planned by January's end for that month's project). My partner and I had some disagreements over aspects of it and I've been blocked ever since. So Feb, March, and, I might as well count April= a bust for my novels plan. I'm about 2 projects behind; hopefully I can get my butt in gear for May!
    Right now I'm working on purging my sudden desire to go back to short stories--by cleaning the majority of them up and sending them out again!

I still think it's early enough in the year that I can catch up with my revisions/edits for all the novels I want to be 'complete' by the end of the year.

Anyway, I see congrats are in order for many members for recent accomplishments!
    "Will you won't you will you won't you, will you join the dance?"

Just a regular Fairy Princess bettielee's Avatar
    Well, I'm ensconced in my new apt - just got my internet going today - and I've spent all day rolling around in the effluvia.... but I got about 30k edited on my 2nd novel, and my first is off to a beta reader to see just how much work it needs. So I'm slowly making my way to the goal of getting them out there.

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

Twitter

Welcome back, Tienci and Bettielee!

Slow and steady here.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
    "The only freedom any of us ever has is the freedom to choose how we will not be free."

I am back!
    Omigosh, spring semester kicked my butt!
    I hope everyone has been keeping up on their word counts though!
    www.stevebargdill.com

"Good writing is always about things that are important to you, things that are scary to you, things that eat you up." óJohn Edgar Wideman

Welcome back, Ses!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon sky warrior books's Avatar
    Sorry I have not posted, but I am stupidly busy with getting four novels by other people published.

I have not been working on my own work. Dammit.

That kind of week.

M.H. Bonham, Author of more than 30 books and Publisher of Sky Warrior Book Publishing LLC. www.skywarriorbooks.com

I know the feeling skw...

however - the new apartment must be magic. I've edited 126k novel in less than 11 days. Of course... It's still 126k... but it could use another edit.... but first pass is done and I love it.

Now I've got 2 novels with at least the first pass of edits done. I'm starting on the 3rd right away - tomorrow, as a matter of fact. I'm really excited about this one - possibly the best and most complicated story I've ever done, straddling between epic fantasy, urban/post-apocalyptic and sci fi.

Twitter

Glad to hear your editing went so quickly, Bettielee! Here's to the new apartment!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

practical experience, FTW Hilldawg's Avatar
    Posting a quick update here.

Last time I posted, I announced that I was trashing my WIP of 5 years and going to start completely fresh with methods new to me (ie. outlining). That was probably two months ago. Since then I've read two professional books on novel-writing and attended a writers' conference.

And I am happy to say that I'm almost finished with my outline. I've got all the big pieces figured out - main characters and some supplemental, overall plot arc and detailed plot for first half, and worldbuilding notes. I have yet to make a final decision on POV and voice so I'm going to try some samples with both of the POVs that I'm vacillating between. Once I feel good about my POV, I can finish plotting.

I anticipate that I'll be starting the rough draft sometime next month. Woot woot!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilldawg View Post
    Posting a quick update here.

Last time I posted, I announced that I was trashing my WIP of 5 years and going to start completely fresh with methods new to me (ie. outlining). That was probably two months ago. Since then I've read two professional books on novel-writing and attended a writers' conference.

And I am happy to say that I'm almost finished with my outline. I've got all the big pieces figured out - main characters and some supplemental, overall plot arc and detailed plot for first half, and worldbuilding notes. I have yet to make a final decision on POV and voice so I'm going to try some samples with both of the POVs that I'm vacillating between. Once I feel good about my POV, I can finish plotting.

I anticipate that I'll be starting the rough draft sometime next month. Woot woot!

Good! Keep up!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

So I've started edits on my 3rd novel in the list of novels to edit. I edited about 18k today.

Twitter

I got another 6500 edited or so - I'm up past the halfway point....

think I'll chill for the night...

Twitter

Hi everybody,

I recently finished my rough draft of my first novel. I am now waiting for feedback from my beta readers and drafting a query/creating a synopsis. I'm excited to send out queries, but the draft still needs more work too. I find my lack of patience is one of the most challenging aspects of writing.

Today was a good day.

I spent an hour writing, which yielded 750 words. Novel is at 33,750 or so. I also got an author's book done up in page proofs.

Weather here is nice. In the words of Sheryl Crow, I'm going to soak up the sun. And write.

M.H. Bonham, Author of more than 30 books and Publisher of Sky Warrior Book Publishing LLC. www.skywarriorbooks.com

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Good work, Bettielee, Joker, Sky Warrior!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

practical experience, FTW sammyjwebb's Avatar
    land of geese and bulls in Northern Colorado
    Jumping back in on the boards. Decided to set aside my NaNo novel and start a new one. Feeling a much better fit.

It's the first time I could see more than just one or two characters when I started, better fleshing out of their motivations, how to move plot along, all in all enjoying it much more. About 10K on paper with 75-85K goal.
    - Sam

Blog Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by ajoker View Post
    Hi everybody,

I recently finished my rough draft of my first novel. I am now waiting for feedback from my beta readers and drafting a query/creating a synopsis. I'm excited to send out queries, but the draft still needs more work too. I find my lack of patience is one of the most challenging aspects of writing.
    Join the club! Good for you for finishing your novel!

Quote Originally Posted by bettielee View Post
    I got another 6500 edited or so - I'm up past the halfway point....

think I'll chill for the night...
    Yay! Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilldawg View Post

Yay! Congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by sammyjwebb View Post
    Jumping back in on the boards. Decided to set aside my NaNo novel and start a new one. Feeling a much better fit.

It's the first time I could see more than just one or two characters when I started, better fleshing out of their motivations, how to move plot along, all in all enjoying it much more. About 10K on paper with 75-85K goal.
    Sometimes you must put aside a novel to do other books. You may have to let it sit and look at it with fresh eyes later.

And Siri--how's it going?

Not doing too badly. Not going as fast as I'd like recently (had to change to a new bank, bah humbug). Have an estimated 7-10K more to do on my WIP. Have signed up to attend the Willamette Writers Conference in August--a new thing, as I've never attended one before. And am hoping to get the rest of the words typed before the conference. Since I originally signed on to complete the work on or before Nov. 1 of this year, that's not too bad.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Quote Originally Posted by Siri Kirpal View Post

Not doing too badly. Not going as fast as I'd like recently (had to change to a new bank, bah humbug). Have an estimated 7-10K more to do on my WIP. Have signed up to attend the Willamette Writers Conference in August--a new thing, as I've never attended one before. And am hoping to get the rest of the words typed before the conference. Since I originally signed on to complete the work on or before Nov. 1 of this year, that's not too bad.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
    Oooh! I have some friends that usually go to that conference. I will pass your name along, with your permission, of course, to meet and chat with you. One is a very pro SF writer. She's delightful and a neat person.

Permission granted. I'll be there Sat. & Sun. I'm easy to spot (unless it's a group of Sikhs) as I always wear a white turban.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

figuring it all out Captim_Spaghetti's Avatar
    Aiming for a page a day. I have decided to split my story into two or three books so each will be around 300 pages. Some days if I do more then I will get it done faster. One page per day bare minimum

Welcome, Captim!

Happy typing!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

practical experience, FTW KitCat's Avatar
    *dusts off forums tab*

Okay I've been away forever so just jumping back in and hoping to post more *waves*

Trying to focus solely on getting a novel length story done instead of trying to work on shorts AND novel so I'll see how it goes. Good to see everyone again
    Dreams soar on the wings of imagination. ~Unknown
    WIPs: Crying Souls- UF
    Usually on Twitter
    Lives in AW Chat

Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5202425262728293031323334353640 ... LastLast