The Novel Challenge Hub

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted on these forums. I know I'm not going to finish my deadline in time. My deadline was in the middle of may, but my life got wacky and I can't complete it. In fact I'm just getting back into writing after a long break.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Hi, Arcadia. It's great you're getting back into writing. Even if you don't reach your goal on your initial timeline, you won't reach it at all if you don't write. :) (Have to keep telling myself that all the time.)

As for my own updates, I finally finished adding a new chapter that really had to be there. This brings my total word count up to around 60k, which is way more reasonable for a YA novel than the just barely 50k it was hovering around at the first draft.

So, on my big list of scenes that need major fixes, I'm down to four three left. Which is still going to take some time, but none of those fixes involve removing the scene and writing up a brand new chapter to stick in its place like the last one did.

So we'll see how things go.

Last edited:

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Sorry for the double-post, but...

I'm done! :hooray:

There are some little tweaks that I still need to make (mostly references to events that now didn't happen. Or spots where events that now did happen should be referenced.) And, of course, I want to give it one final read-through before sending it off to beta-readers. But the mind-numbing, rip-the-guts-out-and-stick-new-ones-in scenes are done.

I'm going to hunt for something made of chocolate. Where'd I put my toddler's Easter candy? (Okay, okay, kidding!)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the double-post, but...

I'm done! :hooray:

There are some little tweaks that I still need to make (mostly references to events that now didn't happen. Or spots where events that now did happen should be referenced.) And, of course, I want to give it one final read-through before sending it off to beta-readers. But the mind-numbing, rip-the-guts-out-and-stick-new-ones-in scenes are done.

I'm going to hunt for something made of chocolate. Where'd I put my toddler's Easter candy? (Okay, okay, kidding!)

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congratulations!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
super congrats, Katrina!!

I'm here with a confession. I've really fallen off productivity wise. I have finished editing - the first round, anyway of my urban fantasy. I've worked on a horrid sounding query, and gotten a friend to look at it. But right now I'm stressing about moving, and can't seem to settle down and work. I need to.

It's April. I want to get all 4 of these novels edited and at least one or two out there in the world looking for a home by November. I have work to do.

I just hope thing will be moar awesome when I move - I have will have way less stress and a very peaceful atmosphere... if I actually get the apartment - and that is what I'm stressing about right now.

I want to say congrats to those of you working away and reaching your goals. I hope to be chugging along with you in the trenches... as soon as things settle down again.

sky warrior books

Redneck Ninja and Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
:snoopy:Congrats, Katrina! :partyguy:

Ah, my life is too damn busy!

Long story short, this week is nuts. On top of it all, I fell off a horse and rolled down a 20 foot pitch bouncing off rocks and trees. I was wearing a helmet and got off with only scrapes and bruises, although I've been feeling like crap for the past several days. :e2beat:

:chores I have final page proofs to incorporate author revisions and a book to edit and format and get back to another author. Another fan asked me when my next book is coming out, so I've been working on Daemons and Shadows. One editor handed me a book that she edited and hates the author's style. Oh, and I still have to work on the nonfiction book, look at another author's nonfiction book, and still look at submissions. :gaah:gaah:gaah That doesn't even begin to cover the formatting and other nightmares.

But I guess on a positive note, I got the royalties out. :partyguy: I'm poor now, but at least I did my bit.

I almost had a major:Hammer: issue with losing nearly 10K on Daemons and Shadows, but I found it in my Dropbox backup (whew!):e2faint:

So, I've been close to 30K on Daemons and Shadows. I'm going to try to get to 30K tonight and then work on editing the book that needs to get done. Then, back to work on the nonfiction book.

Yes, I would like some sanity in my life. :crazy:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Wow, Sky Warrior! Are you sure you'd know what to do with yourself if your life was simpler? :)

Heal quickly!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

sky warrior books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com

Wow, Sky Warrior! Are you sure you'd know what to do with yourself if your life was simpler? :)

Heal quickly!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Thanks, Siri. I'm doing better, although stressed. I think I'm one of those people who can't relax fully because that's my nature--do lots of things. Still, it can be a headache.

Got to 30K on Daemons and Shadows tonight. :snoopy: Since it will be between 40K and 50K, I think that makes the end in sight someday. Up to Chapter 45 on editing The Second Coming by one of my authors (I think there are 68 chapters in that book). I like the story, but it is controversial.

Gears and Levers proofs will be edited after I get the proof out to the author of 2nd Coming. Got a phone call last night from an author who thinks all her rights are reverted on a trilogy I'm trying to pick up. Oh, and someday, I'll get back on track for the nonfiction book.

As an aside, I'm getting back into meditation. This first attempt was full of twitches and itchiness. Ah well.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Siri. I'm doing better, although stressed. I think I'm one of those people who can't relax fully because that's my nature--do lots of things. Still, it can be a headache.

Got to 30K on Daemons and Shadows tonight. :snoopy: Since it will be between 40K and 50K, I think that makes the end in sight someday. Up to Chapter 45 on editing The Second Coming by one of my authors (I think there are 68 chapters in that book). I like the story, but it is controversial.

Gears and Levers proofs will be edited after I get the proof out to the author of 2nd Coming. Got a phone call last night from an author who thinks all her rights are reverted on a trilogy I'm trying to pick up. Oh, and someday, I'll get back on track for the nonfiction book.

As an aside, I'm getting back into meditation. This first attempt was full of twitches and itchiness. Ah well.

Good work!

About meditation from a lady who's done it for 29 years: Twitches and itchiness are normal, especially early on--and I mean "early on" both ways. BTW, do NOT try to clear your mind of thoughts. Instead, just let the thoughts go through and don't attach to them...and if you do react to them, don't react to your reaction. It helps if you're using a mantra. It's normal for all sorts of negativity to come up. Just watch it the way you would a movie.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

sky warrior books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com

Good work!

About meditation from a lady who's done it for 29 years: Twitches and itchiness are normal, especially early on--and I mean "early on" both ways. BTW, do NOT try to clear your mind of thoughts. Instead, just let the thoughts go through and don't attach to them...and if you do react to them, don't react to your reaction. It helps if you're using a mantra. It's normal for all sorts of negativity to come up. Just watch it the way you would a movie.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Actually, that helps. I've been reading an ARC about meditation (I'm a reviewer as well as an author and publisher) and it says a lot about awareness and letting the thoughts and feelings simply pass on and observe them. Last night was so damn itchy that I couldn't wait to stop--so I guess I was a bit too aware. :ROFL: But I know I need to meditate because it'll help the depression and anxiety. Just being aware of the emotions will help.

I've practiced Qi gong as well and while it isn't as in-depth as mediation, it does help. That and martial arts make a difference. I think I'm going to have to start working on kata again.

Sigh. Back to editing.

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck on all your stuff sky warrior:) I'm still working on the novel:) hitting double figures helped. Managed to climb up to 14,000 today:hooray:slowly getting there.

sky warrior books

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skywarriorbooks.com
Today, a light bulb came on. :idea:My villain told me where he was going with the plot. So, yesterday I got about 300 words written and today around 700 words written, and I'm now at 31,000 words out of 50K. :e2writer:

I don't have a clue as to what my hero is going to do with this. Right now, someone saved his life, but that puts him owing a life debt to a group of people he does NOT want to owe. Second, the two women he made love to the day before are now dead, only he doesn't know it yet. Poor guy is going to be riddled with guilt...

He's still young and clueless. And just healed up, but he feels like crap. Okay, I better make sure he still feels lousy.

Just got the go-ahead buying a series. I've got to get the controversial book, The Second Coming, edited and formatted for John Dalmas--we're re-releasing it in May. I've got a Steampunk anthology to finish up, and a couple of nonfiction works to write and edit. No pressure. :chores

Edited for clarification. My browser was all wonky yesterday.

Last edited:

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I have not been good about posting in this thread, but way back when it was started, my goal was to be query ready by May 1. I actually reached that goal by April 1, have begun querying, and have had three requests.

So my new goal is to have a first draft of my new WIP by August 1, and be query ready by November 1 (unless I've gotten an agent by then, in which case it'll be agent-ready).

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have not been good about posting in this thread, but way back when it was started, my goal was to be query ready by May 1. I actually reached that goal by April 1, have begun querying, and have had three requests.

So my new goal is to have a first draft of my new WIP by August 1, and be query ready by November 1 (unless I've gotten an agent by then, in which case it'll be agent-ready).

Sat Nam! (literally Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Wonderful! Congratuations and best of luck!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Sarah G

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck the requests:) Finally written something today and climbed up to almsot 17,000:D getting there. I'm hoping to get as close to 20,000 as i can tonight, but if not tomorrow. and some of my characters have turned out seriously evil:) but at least their fun to write:)

Sarah G

Registered
Reaction score
I did my 20,000 words:D now up to 22,000. Hoping to get to 25,000 later, first need my sleep:) Think I'll feel better when I hit the 30,000 range:tongue